Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 03:51   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Racor install questions

has any body install and have experience with the remote gauge ?
"Racor RK19668 Remote Vacuum Gauge
Applications: 500 / 900 / 1000 Turbine Series Diesel Fuel Filters
Calibration: Vacuum -30 to 0 in/Hg
Mount: Panel / Dash (Includes (2) Adapter Fittings"
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...==============
Second question on placement of Racors 500
My current setup has the Racor 500 installed at about same level as secondary filter,want to change location for easy of servicing,my thinking is to place it as high as the engine compartment allows,air goes up,easy to purge the Racor,BUT my ideas some times are not that smart.
Experience?
Thanks a lot
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:34   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Racor install questions

The remote gauge is pretty simple. What is your question?

It's not a good idea in my opinion to put the Racor filter above the height of the fuel supply. Some boats have fuel tanks in the bilge thus it can't be avoided.

Think of it this way. Air does not "rise" rather fuel falls due to gravity. Our Racor is mounted lower than the fuel supply. So to bleed it is trivially easy. After replacing the filter, open the shutoff valve and fuel flows into the filter by gravity. Once the bowl is full, close the valve and install the cover. Could not be easier. Our engine is a Yanmar 4JH so it automatically bleeds the tiny amount of air bubbles that remain.

If you put the filter higher than the fuel supply then you will have to pour the filter full of fuel, install the cap, hope there is no leak. If there is a leak, as soon as you open the shutoff valve the filter will suck in air. But if the filter is lower than the fuel supply it will drip a small amount of fuel but no air could get in.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:40   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

You need to check the age of your rancor. The new units are different than the older ones and the covers are not interchangeable.
Old 29-08-2018, 07:32   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)

I don’t have the remote gauges but do have the ones that attach to the top (both engine and genset). I love them because they tell me the vacuum not just when running but they maintain the max vacuum to date (since last mechanical reset). So I don’t really need them remote - I just check before each usage and when I do my regular engine checks hourly if under power. Awesome to know when it’s time to change a filter rather than guess.
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor