Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 11:13   #1

Racor Water Seperator rebuild questions

Knowledge request! I have a racor water seperator (model number is wore off, but similar to racor 500 series).

It was under sea water for 6 months. besides changing the filter and rusted screws, does anyone have insight on whether this can be used again? I'm not familiar with the inner mechanics, and don't know if they would be subject to destruction. I also don't know if there are other parts that can be replaced within. Any info would be great. Thanks
Spoooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 11:20   #2

Re: Racor Water Seperator rebuild questions

well... just pull it apart and inspect it I guess. I would imagine the interior never saw water...? If the outside cleans up well probably good to go.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 20:18   #3

Right, but the internal elements of the spinner and the ports are unviewable. And yes, it saw water. The outside is definitely in bad shape, but being as it's cast aluminum, I don't think it will be a problem, except for appearance, and the bulb is dirty but intact. I can't test now, because the diesel is not in the boat and I don't have a pump, but I'm really looking for a better idea if it would be worth the time to try and inspect/rebuild by someone who has some experience with this situation.
Spoooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:39   #4

They can get pretty bad looking even in the engine room after years. I'm not sure why they paint them.... especially for the price they charge, bare aluminum anodized would be far superior. The only answer to tthis question is to disassemble it and see if the bolts come out clean and if the internals clean up. It probably only requires 15 mins to see.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor, rebuild, water