Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 06:02   #1

Racor 500 Series - Questions

Set me straight. 2 years ago I installed a Racor water separator. I called the people I bought it from to find out the exact model I bought (quicker than going to boat) and was told I bought the 500MA2.

I want to add a second one. In checking prices of a second one, I find a 500FG2 and a 500MA2, both with the same description - 60 GPH etc, same elements. What's the difference besides the price? In the meantime, I have been to the boat and the filter reads 500 MA (no number 2). What up with that?

As for fittings, my fuel line is 3/8, so I need NPT fittings of 3/8?

If anyone has 'married' two racors, I'd love to hear how it went and what parts are needed for in between. I apologize in advance if this has already been spelled out, I can't seem to find it.

I know I could just buy a double racor (my terminology) but I am trying to avoid that...
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16   #2

Boat: 1979 Hunter 37 cutter
I believe MA has metal bowl or metal shield over yello plastic bowl. My 500fg has straight female threads. Local Ace hardware could not supply hose barbs or even adapters. Had to go back to racor, Pay $10 each for straight male thread hose barbs. (mine were for 1/4" hose).
Old 09-03-2010, 06:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

The stainless bowl underneath is a USCG item, for vessels that require to conform. The bowls do not act as drip pans, they habve a small drain hole in them. Their function is to delay burn through in case of fire. In my opinion it is not worth them, they are a real pain to drain as there is no stopcock.
Kent
JustCatamarans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:53   #4

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
If you want to be able to switch from using one filter to the other (as opposed to running fuel through both continuously) which I'm guessing is what you want to do, you will either need a three or four way ball valve (designed for fuel use) or individual ball valves to select which filter you want to use. You will probably need ball valves on the "out" lines as well as the supply (4 total) so you can shut off both the "in" and the "out" of each filter. You could add a vacuum gauge at the same time in the supply line so you can monitor the condition of the filter. You should be able to find the hose barbs you need at a hydraulic supply shop, auto supply, or online.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:44   #5

Well, it turns out someone is willing to give be a 75500max. These have the metal bowl attached to the amber bowl. I find draining my solo racor whithout the bowl hard enough (due to placement). Are the metal bowls simply removable or does that screw up the drain assembly on the bottom of the amber bowl?

Thank you for all these thoughts. I look forward to solving this quandary once and for all.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I would keep the metal bowls or buy the FG instead. It's just a waste of money to buy the MA and not use the bowls.

About the drains: I simply replaced the plastic thinghy with a miniature brass fuel valve. Works great. I think I found them in the West Marine (same thread, direct replacement).

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:35   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Navigator, some standard fuel fittings will not just screw into the Raycor filter, you will need an adapter and I have only found them from Raycor. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Yes, you need Racor fittings for the fuel-in and fuel-out connections, but not for the drain under the bowl.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 13:43   #9

Navigator,

I believe some US insurance companies insist on the metal bowls if the filter is in the engine room. I had a friend who had to take pictures of his filters and send it to the company. I'd understand if it was gasoline but this guy's boat was diesel. Never heard of this from anyone else so there may have been something unusual going on.

Carl
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 14:29   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
May or may not be of help, I did a bit of research on these filters (racor 500fg copy) and purchased 4 for my project without the metal shields as they didn't have them at the time, but the bowls are glass not plastic which was the marine equivalent for Australia Griffin Filtration

Even had them side by side, pulled down and all parts interchangeable.

Filters for it are the same and have the same manufacturer details on the box

Full google listings HERE
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12   #11

Boat: Newport 30
You can usually get the fittings on ebay. Was driving myself nuts hunting around for them till I looked there.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:20   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
They are boss fittings and any heavy-duty truck or hydraulic equipment parts place..

... will stock them.

They will also stock the filter elements, generally for less $$$ than West Marine.
Old 12-03-2010, 18:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
I believe some US insurance companies insist on the metal bowls if the filter is in the engine room.
I've actually seen that once before, too. But the insurance company wanted it only because the survyor pointed it out. (No insurance questionnaire is going to be that detailed). The surveyor's reasoning was that a metal bowl might help in the event of an engine room fire, whcih does seem reasonable. (But the bowls on mine are plastic).
Old 12-03-2010, 19:25   #14

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
The metal bowl/MA version of the Racor 500 filter is only required on inspected vessels, it is not a requirement for pleasure craft.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor