Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2011, 12:39   #1

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime
Low hour oil changes

I really don't have any issues with changing my oil often, BUT, I have been in a marina for quite a while. I run the engine 10-15 min. every 1-2 weeks and am coming up on 1 year. I'm in the Caribbean and don't have any condensation to deal with.
I just do not like being wasteful.
It is a trend in new cars to measure stress on oil rather than making blanket recommendations.
Any thoughts, besides;
JUST DO IT!
Thanks all.
Ed
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 12:44   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Low hour oil changes

Are you talking about disel or gas motors, there really different than car motors.
Old 20-12-2011, 12:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The good news is you are running your engine once in a while which helps to prevent it from becoming seized up.. The bad news is you are running the engine with no load, meaning the carbon is building up in the combustion chamber. Water can get in the oil from condensation and other sources in all environments. I would change the oil once per year if you are under 300 hours and change the oil every 300 hours regardless. If you are running pure synthetic you can increase the time interval but not the yearly interval. Engines are much more expensive than a gallon or two of oil and a new filter.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:15   #4

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime

Yeah, I hear you on the load thingy, I run it in gear. I installed the new motor myself several years ago- Once is enough.
Kubota diesel, BTW.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:27   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have the same problem with my DC generator which runs very few hours a year thanks to the solar panels.
I have never seen any objective evidence, but the overwhelming view, is to change the oil at least yearly, which is what I do. The subject has come up before and I do not remember anyone expressing a contrary view, which must be a first for a sailing forum
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:38   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

Is there a different approach to engine oil and saildrive oil? My Yanmar manual suggests changing the saildrive oil as often as the engine oil but there are different stresses involved. It was suggested to me by a local mechanic, who was servicing the engine, to only bother changing the saildrive oil when it was "cloudy"
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote