Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 04:40   #91
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
TI would like to put in one of these (Pythondrive The ideal flexible and vibration-free drive unit) but the distance between the seal and the coupler is a couple inches short. I may have to move the motor forward about 3" to get this in.
Keep in mind Del the Python drive likes a few degrees of angle. You can't install it dead nuts straight. It'll take up to 8 degs angle in any direction but that's maxing it out. You could level up your engine a bit too while you're at it.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 19:29   #92
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Shaft Jumping around/slapping/moving for and aft?

1/8" clearance in stern tube?

Did you increase the shaft size?

You said you made the spacer?

This is a head scratcher for sure?

How much hose do you have on the stuffing box?

Are you using stuffing box hose?

Just questions....
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 23:19   #93

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Shaft Jumping around/slapping/moving for and aft?
The youtube I posted doesn't give it justice. One thing though, it won't wear a grove in the shaft so easily.

1/8" clearance in stern tube?
That's what came with the boat. it's The very end is about 10" away from the trans coupler, which is too close for as much as the motor moves around.

Did you increase the shaft size?
No! It's always been 1"

You said you made the spacer?
Yep! As a Machinist it was an EZ task and the TIR and parallelism were all within .001". Took me 3 hours.

This is a head scratcher for sure?
Yeah! Like said above I think the stern tube is too small or too close the the motor not allowing for the vibration of the motor.

How much hose do you have on the stuffing box?
It is about 5". It came as a kit - thick wall hose, clamps and stuffing box from BUCK ALGONQUIN (see picture)

Are you using stuffing box hose?
as above

Just questions....
No problem!
I really don't know who had the bright idea to put a 3 cly. yanmar in boats but I'd like to kick'm in the arse.

I called the manufacture of this boat (Dencho Marine) and asked them what motor they are putting in their Choate 40's now, and their reply was the 3JH4E, and that is the only reason I bought the yanmar. If I knew how much they danced around I would have went for something else. VW offered me a replacement that would bolt right in where the old one was but it was 10 more HP which I didn't need. And I asumed it still had the timing belt just like the old one.

With this thing up to about 1000 rpm's, to me, it looks like it's coming off the mounts and that's not even in gear. As the rpm's go up the motor smooths out but not enough to stop the shaft slapping. it's better with the stuffing box but still annoying to me. At 3000 rpm's it purrrrs but cruising speed is at around 2600 (7.5 kt).
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2010, 23:25   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Keep in mind Del the Python drive likes a few degrees of angle. You can't install it dead nuts straight. It'll take up to 8 degs angle in any direction but that's maxing it out. You could level up your engine a bit too while you're at it.
That should be EZ, just slide it forward 3" and pull out the 1/2" shims I put in to raise the motor and bolt it down as is. Leveling? Not a bad Idea, it's at 12º now.
Old 08-07-2010, 13:38   #95

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
I'd put stiffer mounts in (they work fine on my 25 year old Yanmar 2GM), and keep the Yanmars one's - to put back in, if you have any problems that require warranty!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 17:56   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Actually a 3 cyl. engine should be smoother than a 4 cyl. because they are 120 deg. apart. I am starting to think there is something wrong with the engine.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 18:04   #97

Yeah, maybe you have a dead cylinder? Does it run like a Harly? ThumpThump...ThumpThump?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 20:10   #98

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
That should be EZ, just slide it forward 3" and pull out the 1/2" shims I put in to raise the motor and bolt it down as is. Leveling? Not a bad Idea, it's at 12º now.
Don't quote me on this but I thought that yanmar only allowed 8 degrees as their max. I'll look it up when I get to the boat tomorrow for the 4JH4E

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 20:10   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Yeah, maybe you have a dead cylinder? Does it run like a HarlEy? ThumpThump...ThumpThump?
On a brand new motor??? Is it possible?

Cracking the injector lines one-by-one would tell, right?
Old 08-07-2010, 20:16   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Don't quote me on this but I thought that yanmar only allowed 8 degrees as their max. I'll look it up when I get to the boat tomorrow for the 4JH4E
I looked everywhere to find that info and could not. I even posted the question here and no real answer. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-35395.html
Old 08-07-2010, 20:16   #101

Quote:
On a brand new motor??? Is it possible?

Cracking the injector lines one-by-one would tell, right?
That's what I do....HardlEy know if it's proper...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 20:31   #102

Boat: Sceptre 41
I found it in a strange place in the manual. It was in the oil cpacity specs. The engine uses less oil at a 8 degree slant then when level. I'll scan and post manana.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 21:22   #103

How does that engine run when de-coupled from the prop shaft????
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 22:00   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I found it in a strange place in the manual. It was in the oil cpacity specs. The engine uses less oil at a 8 degree slant then when level. I'll scan and post manana.
Yeah! I have the same thing in mine but it doesn't specify any max angle. As long as the oils suction screen stays submersed all should be well just like on most any other motor. And that's the reason for deep oil pans on RV motors.

The trany may have issues.
Old 08-07-2010, 22:08   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
How does that engine run when de-coupled from the prop shaft????
It does runs the same in neutral. It's just the prop shaft isn't pulsating fore and aft but it still slaps the stern tube, but lightly now that I've put on a stuffing box.

Tags
yanmar