Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 19:24   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

Once again, folks: I AM A MOLECULAR BIOLOGIST.

If you want to spend your money on snake oil, go ahead. As PT Barnum was purported to say (he didn't really, apparently): "There's a sucker born every minute.". Quick cures are always money thrown away, aren't they?

Here's MY belief:

Dose your fuel with biocide when you add it.

Keep your tanks full.

Use a series of at least 2 filters, one of which is a separator, like a Racor.

Clean your tanks of condensed water twice a year (we have clean out ports on ours).

BUY LOTS OF FUEL (ie, keep fuel fresh).

When evaluating products, step back, AND FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Finally: Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Including this.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 19:33   #62

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Many years ago, the Australian Parliament passed a law commonly referred to as the "incredibly stupid law" because it essentially criminalized the act of marketing aimed at anyone incapable of differentiating fact from fiction.

Maybe that's why this gadget isn't marketed there
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 20:17   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Many years ago, the Australian Parliament passed a law commonly referred to as the "incredibly stupid law" because it essentially criminalized the act of marketing aimed at anyone incapable of differentiating fact from fiction.

This would never fly in the US. I mean, we ALL dream of developing the $19.95 product that will be the next "As seen on TV!".
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43

Quote:

Maaaaate, post some links to this please, I have never heard of it... LOL

It is marketed here by some very serious people.
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:31   #65

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_steadfast View Post
Maaaaate, post some links to this please, I have never heard of it... LOL

It is marketed here by some very serious people.
I should have been more specific. The statute applies to advertising in the media only. There is no prohibition against advertising (silly things) in print ads or independent sources but the theory applies.

I don't have a link but recall the statute was passed around 1990.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43

Quote:
I should have been more specific. The statute applies to advertising in the media only. There is no prohibition against advertising (silly things) in print ads or independent sources but the theory applies.

I don't have a link but recall the statute was passed around 1990.
Look, correct me, shout at me whatever, but this is exactly what I don't like about this thread. People with no tangible experience of a product or service weighing in with negative comments. There is no such law in Australia that I am aware of, we still have all the American media advertisements driving us crazy with all sorts of ridiculous things... Law sounds good, maybe it should be introduced... (Please provide a link to correct me)

"Apparently Algae-X are now making fuel additives, not just the magic magnetic fuel conditioner, so if you are talking about their additives, that's not the same thing as "the" Algae-ex product, the magic magnetic box that has been repeatedly disproved."

As stated before, the additives have been around for a long time, if you had looked at their website, or even known anything about the company, this would have been obvious. Again, someone with no tangible experience of a product throwing in such a negative review. This forum was designed for constructive comment for the benefit of all cruisers I believe, so if you have real evidence for a good or bad test result, post it an we can comment constructively. Consistent negative comments help no-one.

I sell the things, on a very small scale at the moment. I want to hear every persons experience of the product as positive or negative, it all helps towards a good review of the product and solutions. Example, in another thread a cruiser has a raw water strainer pre-algae-x, this solves a problem I have faced where heavily contaminated tanks block the Algae-x unit completely.

All this positive and negative talk and I am now starting to feel like a magnet. Lol

I am not a scientist or biologist, just a realist who had such a great experience with the product I decided to start selling it.
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25   #67
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

""Apparently Algae-X are now making fuel additives, not just the magic magnetic fuel conditioner, so if you are talking about their additives, that's not the same thing as "the" Algae-ex product, the magic magnetic box that has been repeatedly disproved."

As stated before, the additives have been around for a long time, if you had looked at their website, or even known anything about the company, this would have been obvious."

You cleared that up once before, why confuse people by making the same mistake again and referring to "the product" without saying that you mean "the additives" rather than the infamous magic magnetic Algae-X "product" ?

"The product" just ensures that no one knows which product you are talking about, opening the door for confusion. And on the subject of the magnetic product, or any system which integrates that product, the facts--not opinions, but facts--remain the same. There are intentionally misleading claims about substantially identical products on Naval vessels. There are no results available, from any objective lab, university, or testing source, that indicate they work. All quite to the contrary.

You have something different from Brookhaven? OK, cite your source. What test? Where are the results, published by Brookhaven? Conducted by Brookhaven? And why on earth would an Australian, with an Australian company, be conducting tests halfway around the world at Brookhaven National Labs, in the US of A? I can pay someone at BNL to do work too.

The pretty pictures mean nothing, there's no way to source them to any work done by or at BNL. Yes, we're a hard crowd. Of course, our Mr. Barnum also got the rubes to pay extra to "see the Egress!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:55   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I sell the things, on a very small scale at the moment.
If you mean you are selling the magnetic fuel fixer thing please allow me to add my information. Let me preface this by saying this is the simplified version and applies on a macro scale which where this device would operate. When you get into quantum levels, ultra high power electro magnets, etc then it gets a lot more complicated but none of that will apply to these devices.

Magnetic fields on that scale will interact mainly with ferrous metals (that is iron, steel and other iron alloys and compounds) and one or two other metals that are magnetic like nickel and cobalt. On this scale magnetic fields will also influence charged particles.

None of these are present in the algae, bacteria or any other gunk found in contaminated diesel fuel meaning none of this stuff is magnetic, at all.

It is very basic science that non magnetic things like diesel fuel, gasoline, bacteria, algae, etc, etc, etc are not attracted, repelled, aligned, filtered or in any other way effected by a low level magnetic field like one that would be produced by a small or even a fairly large permanent magnet.

You would have a better results asking Yoda to show you how to use "The Force" to clean fuel.

Quote:
I am not a scientist or biologist, just a realist who had such a great experience with the product I decided to start selling it.
I am an electrical engineer and you have seen other replies from real scientists. If the product you use is the combination of magnet and the filter system try throwing out the magnet and using only the filter system. I'll bet you an Australian dollar you will see the same results with or without the magnet.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38 Camper Nicholson

[/QUOTE]I am an electrical engineer and you have seen other replies from real scientists. If the product you use is the combination of magnet and the filter system try throwing out the magnet and using only the filter system. I'll bet you an Australian dollar you will see the same results with or without the magnet.[/QUOTE]

This lines up with our experience. We used to sell these products, and found that their biocide works just as well as the other biocides on the market. And as long as you continue to use water separators and small micron filters, the Algae X thingy doesn't seem to hurt anything. Didn't seem to help much, either though. Of course, we never did any rigorous double blind studies, so maybe there were big advantages that our customers never noticed.

I wonder if diesel motors are suseptible to the placebo effect. Perhaps if a motor (or owner) feels better about its fuel, it actually runs better?
Anchors Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:30   #70
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Since Algae-X apparently has quietly killed and buried their namesamke magic box, with no mention of it on their web site anymore, one must wonder why.

There are still boxes being advertised for sale, and there's still a sales brochure claiming "military applications", but the namesake box? No longer to be found at the maker.

Although they do point out in several papers, that there's no algae in the diesel, and the "sludge" is made from other stuff. Personally I prefer the technical term "crud" for what is found in diesel tanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Although they do point out in several papers, that there's no algae in the diesel, and the "sludge" is made from other stuff. Personally I prefer the technical term "crud" for what is found in diesel tanks.
Well obviously you're no scientist since you are unaware that the generic term for any kind of "sludge" found in a diesel tank is grunge. Crud is just a specific subset of grunge
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wonder if diesel motors are suseptible to the placebo effect. Perhaps if a motor (or owner) feels better about its fuel, it actually runs better? [/QUOTE]

Well considering the fact that I talk to my engine then I don't see why it shouldn't be susceptible to the placebo effect as well, although speaking to it didn't seem to make it run any better. Maybe I just made it mad and it got all huffy due the the ugly names I was calling it at the time.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:00   #73
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well obviously you're no scientist since you are unaware that the generic term for any kind of "sludge" found in a diesel tank is grunge. Crud is just a specific subset of grunge
As a professinal water treater I'm going to remember this line on my next technical report to a customer
Old 04-01-2013, 11:54   #74
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

And here I thought grunge was a fine coating on generally dry or damp surfaces, while sludge was the unattractive but edible organic matter found in tanks and low places. Sometimes mistaken for Vegemite without a jar. (Oy!) See, you'd find grunge on the diesel mechanic or on the engine itself, but sludge has to build up in something, not just on it.

OTOH crud usually has to be picked out with implements, not just wiped away with a rag.

But I suppose that's like asking whether Pizza Hut or Dominos really makes a pizza, or if Burger King really was careful about not calling their product a "hamburger".<G>

No jar = not Vegemite = Don't eat it!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58   #75

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I have one of the magic magnetic Algae-X gizmos that was installed by the PO. I haven't removed it yet because it makes me smile whenever I go into the engine room . . . I marvel at the salesmanship that went into the product. Of course I keep my fuel fresh and polished, so I can't really tell if it's doing anything or not. I'm also a biologist with 30 years experience in the water and wastewater treatment industry, so I suspect it's just a decorative piece of hardware. I'm planning on removing it next time I have to crack open the fuel lines for something else. Maybe I'll sell it to a true believer since I've never had a clogged filter.

Tags
arc