Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 16:08   #121

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim rapp View Post
I get the skepticism but notice that not a single person here claims direct personal experience, probably because the very idea of spending any money on them is repellent. They worked for me.

Tino Mastry, the Yanmar dealer in St Pete Florida, believes in the Algae-x magnets. He has been around the block with diesels a few times. I had two smoker 3208's that got better after I installed the AX magnets.

A small group of people I trust in marine diesel matters use and think highly of the magnets. That said I understand the mockery and jeering. I know It looks a bit like believing in Santa Claus. But hey, if I'm nuts I'm at least happy so why worry?
Their so happy because they get a gullible public to pay them for a product that doesn't do much. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:14   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Their so happy because they get a gullible public to pay them for a product that doesn't do much. Chuck
Chuck. I believe you are incorrect when you say it doesn't do much......it does absolutely nothing
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:20   #123

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Chuck. I believe you are incorrect when you say it doesn't do much......it does absolutely nothing
I do apologize. You are absolutely correct. Well, except it does do one thing. Line the pockets of those that sell it...

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:47   #124
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I had two smoker 3208's that got better after I installed the AX magnets.'
It is a shame that no independent, university, or government lab has been able to replicate your results. A skeptic might also point out that this is your first post, and that the state of New York just brought a massive lawsuit against a number of parties after they found some 25% of online reviews to actually be paid comments by folks who actually never used the place or product they were posting reviews for.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:24   #125
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

What would be good is for those who have negative comments to actually have a basis on to which to support them. I have never tried magnets but have heard that some have had positive experience with them. I have no opinion on that.

I rank the opinions of those who have never actually tried the device to the same degree of someone who can tell how something tastes without even taking a bite. It is in fact not a valid opinion.

I agree that third party testing is a great source of validation but then again, the third party source is not always an expert opinion. Where do engineers get a spec? from a old spec?...
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:38   #126
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What would be good is for those who have negative comments to actually have a basis on to which to support them."
ROFL.
I have posted good reason to distrust the product. The original ads hyped it as "milspec" meeting and exceeding military specifications. Except, if you looked at the quoted milspec that had nothing to do with performance, it was a spec that literally says "If you bolt this to a bulkhead, will it stay attached after hard maneuvers?"

In other words, as the folks at every consumer affairs department will tell you, the seller tried to deceive buyers into thinking the product actually performed in some way that exceeded military specs. Staying bolted to the wall is not a big deal.

Then too, as every consumer group will tell you, when a product makes claims that are totally unsupported and actually contradicted by common laws of physics, and that product maker relies solely on testimonials rather than objective and repeatable lab results, that product usually is bunk. About 99.99999% of the time, it is bunk. And unless the claims for the product are really really clever (like citing a milspec for staying bolted to the wall) the producer winds up paying a settlement and going into another line of business.

Curiously enough, the magnetic magic boxes disappeared from ads and the web sites, to be replaced by offers of conventional chemicals.

But hey, some people believe there are magic waters that can cure all ills, too. And of the thousand religions being practiced, 999 are probably barking up a false tree as well, at least, according to what the other 999 preach.

You're happy buying magic boxes that *every* objective source says are nonsense? By all means, be happy. Coupla hundred bucks is a cheap price for happiness.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:43   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post
What would be good is for those who have negative comments to actually have a basis on to which to support them. I have never tried magnets but have heard that some have had positive experience with them. I have no opinion on that.

I rank the opinions of those who have never actually tried the device to the same degree of someone who can tell how something tastes without even taking a bite. It is in fact not a valid opinion.

I agree that third party testing is a great source of validation but then again, the third party source is not always an expert opinion. Where do engineers get a spec? from a old spec?...
Sorry but this logic doesn't really play. I would trust someone's recommendation not to play Russian roulette even though they had never tried it themselves.

Science is science and one doesn't have to personally prove something to make it true.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30   #128

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim rapp View Post
I get the skepticism but notice that not a single person here claims direct personal experience, probably because the very idea of spending any money on them is repellent.
You must not have read the entire thread. I posted earlier that we have three of them installed on our boat.

And they are snake oil, plain and simple. They do not do anything.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:23   #129
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I'll sell you the Jedi-X method. Just put $100 in my account and you will receive the power to just waive your hand over your fuel tank and say the words "bacteria, these are not the fuel tanks you're looking for" and that's it, no more problems. If you still get problems, it must be from bacteria that got there before paying me.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc