Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38   #76
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: I Tried to do a Search on Algae-X, but...

There are about a half dozen NOS on eBay right now, from $149 to $1169. Sadly, no recent sales. Perhaps if you had yours gold electroplated so it was "marine grade" ?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:03   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Algae-X did not even do the most rudimentary research in coming up with its name, which makes you question how it can be legitimate in the way that it proclaims.

What lives in diesel is a microbe, namely bacteria, which is very different from algae. If you remember your high school biology, algae requires light to create photosynthesis which it uses to create its own food. Bacteria does not need sunlight to survive.

Diesel fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 13:38   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I have one of the magic magnetic Algae-X gizmos that was installed by the PO. I haven't removed it yet because it makes me smile whenever I go into the engine room . . . I marvel at the salesmanship that went into the product. Of course I keep my fuel fresh and polished, so I can't really tell if it's doing anything or not. I'm also a biologist with 30 years experience in the water and wastewater treatment industry, so I suspect it's just a decorative piece of hardware. I'm planning on removing it next time I have to crack open the fuel lines for something else. Maybe I'll sell it to a true believer since I've never had a clogged filter.
I think someone in a previous post said these are no longer in production. If that's the case you should hold on to this as it will soon be a rare collector's item.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 14:39   #79

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Our boat came from the factory with three of these magic magnetic things installed (two engines and a genset). The only reason I have never removed them is that I would have to replace a lot of fuel line to make up for the gap that is left (why do manufacturers run hose and wire so precisely?).

Strangely, I can detect only the most weakest magnetic field from them using a small steel screw and compass. The magnetic field is not strong enough to hold a tiny steel screw (size similar to that on eyeglass hinges) and the compass makes a small deflection only when actually touching the units.

I'm pretty sure the magnets in our starter motors provide a stronger field around the fuel lines than these devices connected directly to the fuel line.

In a previous career, I used magnets to control and move micro things around. We dropped them into service by cutting a hole through the roof and using helicopters because they were too big and heavy to bring in any other way. I can guarantee that whatever magnetic field is produced by these magic units is not sufficient for any usable purpose whatsoever.

I'm holding out for when it these are rare collector items so I can pay for the fuel hose to remove them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 14:54   #80

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I also have an Algae X, installed by a PO, I didnt throw it away as it makes a very conveniant fuel line connector and saved me buying a 'double barb ' !!!!!!!!!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 15:00   #81
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think someone in a previous post said these are no longer in production. If that's the case you should hold on to this as it will soon be a rare collector's item.
Still around. Shouldn't be.
Diesel Fuel Filtration - Diesel Fuel Conditioning | ALGAE-X International | fuel conditioners

In post 54 a commercial vendor that I think some readers believed was with Algae-X presented some information intended to lead you to Fuel Right. At least he was subtle.

The data is here:
Fuel Right: Tech Corner: Results
The post suggested these were run by Brookhaven, though this link only states that they were presented at a Brookhaven seminar, a very different think. I don't know.

I do know 2 things:
1. I've done a good bit of biocide testing, and the results presented do match what I learned in some areas, but not in others. The probable reason for this is...
2. ... that some biocides are effective on one group of organisms, while some are effective on another, rather like each gram a and gram b antibiotics. His results matched my "a" culture list, with some of the same failures by products that did very well on "b" culture. For example, Biobor is very effective on some stains--it wouldn't be so well respected otherwise--but not well on others. This is typical.

So the data is half true. But which half!

Some data from a while ago. Both culture a and culture b were taken from infected diesel tanks.

Old 06-01-2013, 20:14   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion
Lab reports are meaningless without the associated quality assurance program and related data and particularly meaningless when produced by the only party with No objective viewpoint or consideration.

The lab reports would be useful if only as scrap paper to wrap around the AlgaeX crap before being tossed in the garbage.
Illusion. If I provided you with the lab procedure, will you do the test as a non biased participant?
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 20:21   #83
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
Algae-X did not even do the most rudimentary research in coming up with its name, which makes you question how it can be legitimate in the way that it proclaims.

What lives in diesel is a microbe, namely bacteria, which is very different from algae. If you remember your high school biology, algae requires light to create photosynthesis which it uses to create its own food. Bacteria does not need sunlight to survive.

Diesel fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae
Thank you David. We have been trying to get this message out to the industry for some time now. Algae does need sunlight! For biologists and microbiologists, I suggest that you research Fred Passman and his work. Biofilm ( bacterial colonies) have been researched for years as they are present not only in diesel fuel but water and waste water systems. They are a major contributor to corrosion.
Old 06-01-2013, 20:23   #84
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater

Diesel Fuel Filtration - Diesel Fuel Conditioning | ALGAE-X International | fuel conditioners

In post 54 a commercial vendor that I think some readers believed was with Algae-X presented some information intended to lead you to Fuel Right. At least he was subtle.

The data is here:
The post suggested these were run by Brookhaven, though this link only states that they were presented at a Brookhaven seminar, a very different think. I don't know.

I do know 2 things:
1. I've done a good bit of biocide testing, and the results presented do match what I learned in some areas, but not in others. The probable reason for this is...
2. ... that some biocides are effective on one group of organisms, while some are effective on another, rather like each gram a and gram b antibiotics. His results matched my "a" culture list, with some of the same failures by products that did very well on "b" culture. For example, Biobor is very effective on some stains--it wouldn't be so well respected otherwise--but not well on others. This is typical.

Some data from a while ago. Both culture a and culture b were taken from infected diesel tanks.
Thin water, want a free sample to test in a lab?
Old 06-01-2013, 22:20   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post

Algae-X is a biocide. It kills bacteria. Our study shows that biocides are effective against fungal growth but much less effective against bacterial based sludge colonies. The "glue" (exopolysaccharide) that binds these colonies together is quite resistant to biocide attack therefore, biocides are not very effective once the colonies have formed.
This the third completely different explanation we've heard for how this device is supposed to work. 1. It magnetically polarizes the microorganisms (??!) allowing them to pass through filters; 2. It "breaks the electrical bonds" between the microorganisms (huh?!!); 3. It kills them.

It all seems like utter b*llocks to me, I have to say. It ought to be pretty straightforward showing in a laboratory whether or not you can kill anything with an ordinary permanent magnet, or any of the rest of these things.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15   #86

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha_float View Post
Illusion. If I provided you with the lab procedure, will you do the test as a non biased participant?

YES! Assuming you also did it, I'd also like to see your QA program data which would be more meaningful.

How do you want to send it to me?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27   #87
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Algae-X is a biocide..."[Aloha]ciAlgae-X is a biodOriginally Posted by Aloha_float

Algae-X is a biocide. It kills bacteria. Our study shows that biocides are effective against fungal growth but much less effective against bacterial based sludge colonies. The "glue" (exopolysaccharide) that binds these colonies together is quite resistant to biocide attack therefore, biocides are not very effective once the colonies have formed.

"This the third completely different explanation we've heard for how this device is supposed to work." [Dockhead]

No no no. Dockhead, you're both right and wrong. The problem is when someone says "Algae-X" without saying what algae-x product they are talking about. The company's pride and joy were a half dozen magnetic magic boxes that they apparently no longer sell or support and apparently wish the world would forget about.

Inconveniently, the world remembers and the devices keep showing up on the market. (Aloha, you might tell AlgaeX that they could just buy 'em all off ot he market if they really want them to disappear faster.)

So while AlgaeX are apparently trying to reinvent themselves as legitimate suppliers of the finest conventional biocides anf conventional filters on the market...the rest of us remember them as a source of hokum. And when someone just says "the AlgaeX product" that phrase, like the magic box, does nothing because it is so easily open to misinterpretation.

In the US market, this is like buying nutritional supplements from the huge "GNC" chain. They'll sell whatever folks want to buy, no screening out nonsense before they put a rack of it up in the stores. So whatever you see in their stores, all you know is that it is there because someone wanted to buy whatever it promises--not because the chain knows it really does anything. Besides sell.

Aloha, why would someone else pay to see if your...supplier? franchisor? whate exactly is AlgaeX to you? Why would someone else pay to do the independent labl work that THEY should be paying for, if they want to prove their product works, much less that it works any differently from any other biocide on the market?

It was their product with the intentionally misdirected statement about passing milspec and being used on naval vessels, wasn't it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35   #88

Boat: Beneteau First 42

As I mentioned previously (Post #20) my wife bought me one of these things at the boat show">Miami Boat show several years ago, she being a devotee of all things "Magnetic" for curing (supposedly) a variety of ills; and, the fast talk of the vendor in my absence convincing her we could not do without. To end repeated inquiries as to why it continued to sit on my work-bench, unappreciated, thereafter, I finally installed the thing during our last haul-out and refit. Since then, I have to say, we have had no fuel filter clogs, smoking engine or any other fuel related issues (although we did not beforehand either), so wife is very pleased with her "gift" and satisfied that it is doing its, silent, duty and I am off the hook. (Note that the vendor also sells a "special" fuel addative/catalyst that should be used in conjunction with the device to ensure it functions to its maximum potential. Refills available at no minor cost.) Frankly, you guys can test the thing until heck freezes over but I will not be convinced it is anything but a Snake Oil sales job.

FWIW...

PS: On the other hand, since her purchase of a "Magnet Mattress" that she sleeps on to cure back aches a few years ago, I have found her to be irresitably "attractive" (but sometimes a pain-in-the neck that the mattress doesn't seem to treat!) so one never knows for sure, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:31   #89
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

The data is here:

I do know 2 things:

Conventional wisdom (logic) would dictate that resolving the presence of bacteria would resolve the sludge issue. As stated above, if you could kill bacteria a or b, you would eliminate the issue of sludge development in the tank. Makes sense.

What if bacteria would allowed to thrive in a diesel fuel environment but you inhibited them from forming the colonies? What if you could dismantle the framework that holds these colonies together without causing any threat to the bacteria itself?

This theory is the basis of our research. We have figured out a way to inhibit the formation of bio-colonies and dismantle the existing ones. Conventional "biocide tests" really offer very little in solving the problem. They are the most predominant methods of attacking the problem.

Fungal issues are a different set of problems. If we could develop an hypothesis to explore how to prevent the formation and growth of fungal problem, then we would really be ahead of the curve.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39   #90
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
YES! Assuming you also did it, I'd also like to see your QA program data which would be more meaningful.

How do you want to send it to me?
I can mail out a sample to you from our Delaware location. All you need is a jar of contaminated fuel if you want to fast track the start.

Or, you could get a sample of diesel out of your tank, add an inch of water to the bottom of the jar and wait for the sludge to develop. We can take it from there.

Your commitment is to post the results in an unbiased manner on this forum. Email me privately.

Tags
arc