Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 18:14   #1

Fuel Bladder for an Interim Diesel Tank

My tank is leaking and fixing it where I am is not panning out to be a viable option. Anyone have experience with using flexible fuel bladders as a tank?

I'd love a recommendation on brands and or any gotchas. I am thinking I'd use it for six months or even less.

Thanks!
-p
Old 02-09-2011, 18:22   #2

Re: Fuel Bladder for an interim diesel tank

Patrick,

When we purchased our boat it had an 18 gallon bladder installed. As far as we can tell it was in service for over 5 years. It also had a leaking SS tank. We used the bladder exclusively for over a year.

When securing it make sure it is not up against anything that can rub through it it. Ours was sandwiched between the hull and a big thin board. It was secured with ropes.

Of course I didn't like this arrangement and replaced it, but it did work for a long time. I'd have a 3 way valve and an electric pump with all the plumbing ready to go to empty it if it sprung a leak.

Tate
Old 02-09-2011, 18:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Probably obvious but just make sure it is nailed down really well. I used one years ago, sorry don't remember the brand, and put it in a locker where it couldn't roll around. That worked pretty well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 18:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

These guys make excellent bladder tanks: Aero Tec Laboratories - Aero Tec Labs - Aerotech - ATL - Aerotec - AeroTech Labs, Fuel Cells_Cell, Bladders_Bladder, Bladder Tanks_Tank, Potable Water Bladders, Pillow Tanks_Tank_Containment, Portable Tanks_Tank, Liquid Storage, Collapsible Tanks_Tan
Back in the Eighties they were very popular with drug smugglers.
Old 02-09-2011, 19:05   #5

Is there anything odd about how they are plumbed? How was it vented for instance?

-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Patrick,

When we purchased our boat it had an 18 gallon bladder installed. As far as we can tell it was in service for over 5 years. It also had a leaking SS tank. We used the bladder exclusively for over a year.

When securing it make sure it is not up against anything that can rub through it it. Ours was sandwiched between the hull and a big thin board. It was secured with ropes.

Of course I didn't like this arrangement and replaced it, but it did work for a long time. I'd have a 3 way valve and an electric pump with all the plumbing ready to go to empty it if it sprung a leak.

Tate
Old 02-09-2011, 19:12   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

They actually don't need to be vented. Here is a link to the instruction manual for the ATL tanks: http://www.atlinc.com/pdfs/Auxillary...FlexManual.pdf
Old 02-09-2011, 19:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_DeepPlaya View Post
Is there anything odd about how they are plumbed? How was it vented for instance?

-p

Patrick,

On ours, there was no vent line at all. It was just the deck fill connected and at the bottom of the bag was a fitting for the fuel hose.

Tate
Old 02-09-2011, 19:17   #8

Boat: Bristol 29

I've used a 25 gallon Nauta bladder fuel tank for the past 15 years. It works great and does not leak. It is installed under the engine in the bilge. I padded the tank with rubber shower pan liner sheeting from Home Depot and secure the tank by epoxying 1/2" stainless bolts, heads to the hull and bolt the tank's corner grommets to the studs. The great thing about a bladder tank is that you don't need to vent it, which means there is almost no air in the tank, and less occurrence of condensation.

Good luck,

David
Old 02-09-2011, 19:21   #9

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

I worked for a Euro company that sold marine products including fuel bladders. I convinced them that in the US this was a bad idea given the litigious nature of our society and the many failures. I meet and enjoyed a relationship with TurtlePak from Australia (OZ) . Witout a doubt this is a truly great product. These folks make bladders for aviation and other demanding situations as well as marine.

That said... a fuel bladder below decks is asking for trouble in the long term.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 19:24   #10

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Then again....I also had ATL fuel cells in all the race cars we built.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02   #11

Re: Fuel Bladder for an Interim Diesel Tank

Hmm... this approach is going to cost close to $500. I know a new tank identical to my own is $820 + installation... not sure it makes sense to spend the $500 for a throw away interim solution...
Old 03-09-2011, 14:36   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Just an idea, but why not use a plastic fuel can (not a one litre version!), maybe place in the bilge (or a long hose & pump? from deck) - or even inside the existing fuel tank, if willing to chop your way in (and clean the smell out!) or remove entirely.

Won't be doing any long passages under power (unless decanting from other fuel cans), but unless you are waterskiing, then should be more than enough to be getting into and out of port a fair few times - before the sails go up. A PITA on the refueling - but should be cheap and DIYable.

Poly Barrels - Texas Barrel Supply. Metal and poly barrels, drums, and barrel components for sale. 214-784-6604, 903-885-1110 or 903-885-210

$15 for a 20 Gallon Barrel seems fair enough (obviously have to add / cannablise some fittings and pipework).

WARNING! - I am not a diesel engineer (no sh#t ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 22:38   #13

That's not a bad suggestion. We moved down the coast and are going to try ANC get a real fix in coos bay oregon, or maybe a pre-made plastic tank.

Thx!
-p
Old 05-09-2011, 08:57   #14
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

What size fuel tank do you need? We typically get them made for around $10 per gallon.

Your tank that is leaking, can you see where it is leaking, or is it under or behind out of sight?

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08   #15

For the interim, you can get a smallish diesel tank from West Marine, or whereever pretty cheap. As a smaller sailboat you can go pretty far on 10 gals of diesel!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank