Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 08:04   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Favorite fuel priming pump?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with manual fuel priming pumps and can recommend one over the other. Priming my Universal via turning over the engine to clear an airlock is a pain and slow and there is no manual priming pump on my engine.

I'm looking into one of these, they look well built and have seen similar pumps on other engines. I know there are also rubber 'bulb' pumps and am wondering if they are any better?

Detroit Diesel Caterpillar Cummins Hand Priming Fuel Pump 5110760 New | eBay

thanks
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:30   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Favorite fuel priming pump?

That pump looks just like an aircraft primer. You would need to plumb it into the system with it's own supply. The small electric automotive pumps work well inline, a bulb sounds too simple
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:37   #3

Why not just get a Facet fuel pump and run it all the time? Hundreds if not thousands of Universals, like my M25, we done that way on Catalinas and many other brands of boats.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:43   #4
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

thanks I was just looking at those on their website. might go that route and keep the mechanical pump as a backup or plumb it in parallel.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Why not just get a Facet fuel pump and run it all the time? Hundreds if not thousands of Universals, like my M25, we done that way on Catalinas and many other brands of boats.
I **** canned my mechanical pump and installed a Facet and got a spare. Seriously doubt I will ever need it but if I do it will take about 10 minutes to change out.
Old 26-07-2016, 05:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have these installed inline with the stock fuel pump. They do 30 gallons/hour and don't restrict the stock engine driven pumps. I use them for filter changes. They're about $16 with shipping on ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	128426  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 06:16   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That pump looks just like an aircraft primer. You would need to plumb it into the system with it's own supply. The small electric automotive pumps work well inline, a bulb sounds too simple
I have bulbs installed in line, work fine. Dead simple install.

You really dont need to move that much fuel to prime a small engine filter system. A few pumps is all it usually takes on mine (Volvo MD2020, RACOR FG500 filter).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 06:26   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I use the little lever on the factory Yanmar lift pump, I don't see the real need for a separate primer pump, the little lever will fill both the Racor 500's pretty quickly.
You do have to ensure the engine didn't stop in a position to where the pump is depressed though, if it did you'll never get much fuel using the lever.

I do have three of those electric pumps though, one feeding my generator and two in spares in case my lift pump goes out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:11   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm a big fan of the little cube 12v type inline. I've just motored approximately 1000nm, had dirty fuel for last 600-700nm. Had no choice had to take what I could get. I had to change racor 10micron every 50- 100nm. The little 12v pump makes it quick and easy.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 07:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I use the little lever on the factory Yanmar lift pump, I don't see the real need for a separate primer pump, the little lever will fill both the Racor 500's pretty quickly.
You do have to ensure the engine didn't stop in a position to where the pump is depressed though, if it did you'll never get much fuel using the lever.
Well on some engines there are safety advantages... you can run your engine out of diesel, then change the fuel filters, leaving them dry, then switch on the pump and start up your engine.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 08:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
.. you can run your engine out of diesel, then change the fuel filters, leaving them dry, then switch on the pump and start up your engine.

What kind of engine will do that?
Old 28-07-2016, 10:12   #12

I've only tested mine and it works perfectly.
do you really want to spent much time hand pumping a little handle for 5 minutes to bleed you engine.
sounds a bit dangerous to me.

however now a bit of theory....
I imagine that all diesels with a return would self bleed if an electric pump pressurized the fuel.
any opinions??

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 10:38   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
What kind of engine will do that?
I am pretty sure my old 4-JHE will as it does self bleed, I know several Common Rail engines that will.
I can't quote regs, but I do know there is one against pressurized fuel lines, inside of the boat, reasoning is of course a leak would spray fuel, as opposed to a line under vacuum, would just leak air into the line.
To operate without a pressurized fuel line, my Mercury Verado had something similar to a toilet bowl tank on it's back, a low pressure pump would keep the tank filled, with turn on and turn off switches it maintained the fuel level, then there was a high pressure fuel injection pump in this tank that ran the fuel injection system, this Rube Goldberg contraption was required because you not allowed to have a pressurized fuel line inside of the hull, simplest thing would be like all automobiles, just put the high pressure pump inside of the fuel tank.
From a safety perspective, it makes sense.
I have the Dual Racor set up, if my engine starts to sag, I jump down there and flip the valve over to the other filter.

I understand what the electric pump is for, my IP came with one from the factory, it no longer works, and I couldn't find a replacement, and honestly if you understand how the manual pump works, it only takes about 1 min. to fill both the Racor and the secondary fuel filter. I don't think I need the priming pump, but then again I have excellent engine access, I sit on a seat cushion placed on the sole and have much better engine access than any automobile I have ever owned, if access wasn't so good, then I may have a different opinion on the need of a priming pump.
Old 28-07-2016, 10:53   #14

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

If there's a reg against pressurized fuel lines inside a boat, how the Hell would you get your engine to run? Maybe a gravity tank and updraft carb like a Model T Ford?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 10:59   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
If there's a reg against pressurized fuel lines inside a boat, how the Hell would you get your engine to run? Maybe a gravity tank and updraft carb like a Model T Ford?
No, I think that reg covers the boat, not the engine.
Can you think of a factory installation that fuel isn't drawn all the way to the engine fuel pump, under a vacuum until then?
Unlike automobiles for instance where the pump is in the tank and all lines are pressurized.
Pumps , pump better than they suck, making a fuel system work with everything under a vacuum is harder than one under pressure, vapor locks etc can exist under a vacuum, when they don't under pressure.

Now I agree with this rule, I'd much rather have an air leak and my engine shut off than say be spraying fuel all over, especially if it were gasoline.

Tags
fuel