Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 05:49   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
Tranny repairs 2gmf Yanmar

We have a KM2A Kanzaki original transmission on a 1984 Hunter that is estimated by our marina to cost $2300 to "repair". Is this in the ballpark? Estimate is very vague on parts ( shaft, pins, plug, gasket, shifter etc) $850. Labor $1300.
Sail debvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 05:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Tranny repairs 2gmf Yanmar

No idea, what does a new or overhauled one cost, R&R yourself?

Many years ago I used to overhaul automatic transmission for cars, you gave an average cost, impossible to know what your going to find until after you get into it, usually you were OK on parts estimate, occasionally you got stung when some hard parts were damaged which was uncommon, of course with cars, they did not get their tranny, you just R&R'd with one off the shelf you had already overhauled.
However I never, ever just repaired what was broken, if I went through the trouble of pulling the thing, disassembling, cleaning. It's getting the full Monty, all new friction materials, seals, modulator valve, torque converter etc. Labor was so high it made no sense to try to save a few bucks on parts
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 05:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail debvz View Post
We have a KM2A Kanzaki original transmission on a 1984 Hunter that is estimated by our marina to cost $2300 to "repair". Is this in the ballpark? Estimate is very vague on parts ( shaft, pins, plug, gasket, shifter etc) $850. Labor $1300.

That sounds like an awful lot for labor. Is the tranny going to be very difficult to remove? Have to pull the engine or disassemble half the galley to access it? That could make the labor a lot more.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 06:12   #4

Skipmac....parts list really seems minimal....plug, gaskets, screws etc. No pulling the engine or taking apart anything. but it is in a small space. Labor is $130 hr which is the norm I would think but 3.5 to remove and 7 to repair. "Rock and a hard place" for sure.
Old 27-07-2016, 07:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Skipmac....parts list really seems minimal....plug, gaskets, screws etc. No pulling the engine or taking apart anything. but it is in a small space. Labor is $130 hr which is the norm I would think but 3.5 to remove and 7 to repair. "Rock and a hard place" for sure.
Not sure since I haven't paid boatyard labor for a long time, but $130/hour sounds high to me. I would have guessed more like $75-$100. Maybe someone else can comment on this.

Have you thought about at least pulling the tranny yourself. At the very least you can save 3.5 hours. That's $455 right there. That would also give you the possibility to haul it to another shop that has better labor rates.

I did a quick search and found KM2P transmissions new for $1800 or so. Not sure if the KM2A is compatible with the KM2P but if they are in the same price range you could buy a brand new tranny and install it yourself.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 07:39   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

try
East Coast Marine Transmission
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 10:00   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
One thing I have learnt over the years that some of the most dishonest people who WILL take u for a ride if they can are mechanics!!!!NEVER EVER accept a quote without having comparative one's from other sources for a start.
The hourly rate being quoted sounds ridiculous to me.I am in Cape Town and here we would pay around 25 to 35 USD an hour for labor .If you own a boat watch out for these guys who look at you as a cash cow.You now the type they see you have a boat and class you as a different class of human being .One to be ripped off .It's like a game to these guys and they will take you for a ride at every turn.Make sure all spare parts that are replaced are returned to you as well although this is no guarantee that they are actually the parts that were removed from your engine they could be someone else's that are kept specifically for such deception from other jobs done on other ppls engines.
IT GOES ON ALL THE TIME !!
I had to have my 2GM20's overhauled on my Dean 36 Aero and asked how much it would cost if done by our local yacht club mechanic and was quoted 5 times what it cost me to have it done by a car mechanic that I trusted .I hauled the engines myself and replaced them and watched while this most simple of engines was overhauled in no time at all by said car mechanic.
So to HELL with the rip off artists in this yachttie game .I really DONT like you Muther f....s .
Old 27-07-2016, 10:35   #8

Boat: Bristol 32

wow, don't hold back, Kreef. You're probably right, though.

I have the same engine. look, I know doing something like this yourself is intimidating. You'll have to buy a manual, some tools, and get to know a good parts source. But if you do, you will not only save a substantial amount of cash, (that does seem way, way high) but also learn something new.

No, I have not rebuilt a transmission. There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere in the innards of that damn thing lies one hell of a frustrating puzzle. All I can say is that I am NOT mechanically minded, but I did change my drive train from the coupler aft, as well as pick the motor up and changed the motor mounts. I have sewed my sail covers and am building a dodger. And yes, if the tranny on my y2gmf packed it in, I would rebuild that sucker. Like Kreef, I choose not to buy a boat for the local mechanic.

Edit; It goes forward, neutral and reverse, no? That's three choices. How bad can it be?
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 10:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tranny repairs 2gmf Yanmar

Pull it yourself, send it to a reputable shop, one listed above looked good, reinstall it yourself.
I believe I could pull mine in a couple of hours max. But would not want to do the overhaul.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 10:47   #10

Boat: Bristol 32

Ok, back again. The Seloc manual has a basic chapter on the transmission, which shows, among other things, how to detach it from the engine. It also has an exploded diagram of the KM2A transmission, and a troubleshooting guide. The exploded diagram doesn't look awful. I've seen worse, and yup, partly because I have a good Yanmar parts guy nearby, I would tackle this. And trust me, I don't know what I'm doing.
ISBN 0-89330-049-7
SELOC Yanmar Inboards 1975-98 Repair Manual
Seloc Marine Home Page

Hope this helps.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 12:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have a KM2P transmission 2.21 ratio that I don't need. Came off a late model 3GM30 but believe it will fit a 2GM. Working fine when pulled on engine with about 500 and probably less than 300 hours on it. The engine looked brand new when I bought the boat and owner claimed only a 100 hours but no hour meter. I installed an hour meter and have clocked 130 hours on the engine. Changed the transmission to get lower ratio 2.61 gearing for larger sailor prop. $1000. Shipping should be around $70 if USPS hasn't changed their rates.

Pulling the transmission should take under 2 hours if there is decent access. The transmission is light enough that my 70 year old body could handle it. Removal is pulling 6-8 bolts that hold the transmission to the engine, disconnecting the control cable and shaft coupling, sliding the transmission back to clear the spline drive shaft and lifting it out. Didn't time it when I pulled mine but was surprised at how fast and easy it was to R&R the little bugger.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 18:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Sounds a lot but it depends on what it needs to get it out etc. If you are mechanically minded they are not that difficult if you have a workshop manual, at least our Kanzaki transmission isnt that complicated ( YSM8). You dont say what is wrong with the gearbox. I would be tempted to go with the good used replacement if you dont feel up to doing the rebuild yourself but you should still have the workshop manual. Dont know the US engine market but here you could buy a running old 2GM20 complete with gearbox for $1000
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 20:04   #13

Boat: islandpacket

Give us some symptoms and a motor size. It could be a rusted cable or bad connection.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-07-2016, 03:09   #14

Thanks everyone for your input. We are going to have to bite the bullet and go with these guys....no choice really but...kreef, we pretty much have your attitude now! We are determined to Diy from now on no matter what it takes.
This is a new life for us now just retired. Everyday is Saturday!
Old 28-07-2016, 15:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Before you hand it over check for Bad Santas suggestion of rusted cable & make sure the gearbox mounting bolts are tight if you havent already. Reason I say this is my brother (in another country) got his boat hauled to remove the engine & gearbox because of gear problems & mechanic found it was just loose mounting bolts.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, repairs, yanmar