Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2014, 17:40   #1

Adjusting V Belt tension and removing alternator Yanmar 1GM

Hi all,

I have a Yanmar 1GM 10 on my boat which I bought a few months ago. I'm slowly learning more about the engine. I know this is pretty basic but I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to adjust the V belt on the engine because it's way too loose and my efforts at adjusting it this afternoon were a dead end . To show you what I did, I've attached a photo (left most photo). The yellow arrow points to a bolt on the top of the alternator. My first step was to loosen the nut that was on the back of the bolt behind the alternator (I made sure I had a wrench holding the bolt as I loosened the nut with a 2nd wrench). I thought this was the "pivot" bolt but the alternator did not move after I completely loosened this nut. i then loosened the nut that the blue arrow is pointing too, which I thought was the "adjusting" bolt (also had a wrench holding the bolt behind it in place as I loosened the nut). However the alternator was still fixed in place and I couldn't move it even after I loosened the 2nd nut. I saw a mechanic tighten the belt a couple of months ago and I thought this was what he did but he did it so fast that I can't be sure. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I've also attached a second overhead photo if that helps illustrate what I'm doing. The reason I'm also interested in possibly removing the alternator is because the zinc plate is behind it and I spent an hour and a half today trying to get at it but the alternator (and to a lesser extent the starter) is blocking access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	78624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140401_152159 (1).jpg
Views:	319
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	78625  

Overlord34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags