Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 18:00   #2896

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Compared to what? Maine? Got to love an optimist but sure, why not?

Jim

I grew up near Buffalo sailing on Lake Ontario. Winter sailing there involved snow and ice. RI is tropical by comparison.
Old 12-10-2014, 18:44   #2897

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

blewitt_john, prior to starting your engine, after such a long time, consider this: Remove the injectors (I assume it's a diesel), have them checked at a diesel lab, and spray a high quality penetrating oil in the cylinders, then, with no compression, rotate the flywheel a few times to distribute the oil over the sides of the cylinders. You will be happier.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 20:18   #2898

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
I grew up near Buffalo sailing on Lake Ontario. Winter sailing there involved snow and ice. RI is tropical by comparison.
Tropical? I don't mean to rain on your parade. You won't be sailing in ice for the most part but temp wise pretty close.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 05:19   #2899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
blewitt_john, prior to starting your engine, after such a long time, consider this: Remove the injectors (I assume it's a diesel), have them checked at a diesel lab, and spray a high quality penetrating oil in the cylinders, then, with no compression, rotate the flywheel a few times to distribute the oil over the sides of the cylinders. You will be happier.
Roy, thanks for the tip. Removing the injectors scares me. I was reading the shop manual, it said that if while removing the injectors you lift a lifter (not sure I have the right term) then a mechanic with his special tool is required to get it back in.

The engine is a Volvo Model 2003, not a turbo. Have you ever worked on one of these?
Old 13-10-2014, 08:44   #2900

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Pulling an injector is not rocket science. You will need to replace the copper "crush" washer when you put it back (unless you learn how to anneal it yourself). Check it out on YouTube: .
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 16:04   #2901

I'm pretty sure I've read just about everything Jim Brown has ever published about Searunners and thoroughly enjoyed all his videos too. Its really great that they took the time to make those videos of Jim and Scrimshaw and great to see all the cool modifications he's done to Scrimshaw over the years. I met Jim many years ago and what a nice guy he is so what a treat it was for you to have been able to hang out with him for the day.

I'm curious about something... Your avatar thingee on this forum says you own a Searunner 37 but your website says you're building a 35' trimaran designed by Jim Brown and John Marples. What boat is it that you're about to launch? (And CONGRATULATIONS on your impending launch!)

Quote:
You need to read everything Jim Brown wrote about his early adventures on Schrimshaw, an open wing 31', the original Searunner. All his cruising was coastal, he never crossed an ocean, and he wasn't solo, but the stories will convince you the boat can take what you are asking of it.

I was on Schrimshaw one day with Jim Brown, just at the dock. What a day listening to Jim Brown talk about the boat, talk about sailing. The boat was a museum. Jim Brown's house was chock ablock full of multihull stuff he has worked on. The float for the dock was a left over proa hull that his son Russel had built. The whole day was a visit to multihull pioneer days. If it wasn't for Jim Brown, John Marples, Rudy Choy, Art Piver, Horstman, and a few others the America's Cup would have never been in multihulls. (oops, sorry for the rant).

You won't go wrong with a Searunner 31!
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 02:41   #2902

I have a Searunner 37. When I made the website I was going to build a constant camber design by John Marples but the local building inspector shut me down. So, I bought a beat up old Searunner 37. Four years for a new build, two years for a rebuild, or at least enough to get it sea worthy because a boat is never finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-10-2014, 10:39   #2903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Pulling an injector is not rocket science. You will need to replace the copper "crush" washer when you put it back (unless you learn how to anneal it yourself).
Roy,

You make it seem easy enough to try. I am going to try to locate the Volvo injector removal tool since the Volvos have a sleeve instead of the crush washer and apparently if it moves the repair gets much bigger. I have a local Volvo marine shop, hopefully they will rent the tool. I am sure they can order me one.

Do you think Marvin's Mystery Oil is good for the cylinders?

Thanks again,
Old 14-10-2014, 11:52   #2904

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I have a Searunner 37. When I made the website I was going to build a constant camber design by John Marples but the local building inspector shut me down. So, I bought a beat up old Searunner 37. Four years for a new build, two years for a rebuild, or at least enough to get it sea worthy because a boat is never finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sounds like they didn't want you building in the back yard?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:19   #2905
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

John

As I have mentioned, I decided to build a boat basically on the drive back from Miami after looking at your SR 37. Interesting reflections, a CC 35 would take way more than 4 years to build part time.

Anyway, the best thing about that boat was the engine install and mast. If the engine ran good when laid up, don't mess with it. Would be good to clean the fuel tank out and replace the filters. Most northern yard change the oil just prior to winterizing, not sure if you did that.

So change the fuel filters, clean the tank, check the oil, change impeller, pull the stop cable out and crank it for 20 seconds to spread the oil.

Fire here up. the last thing you need at this point is sticker shock on Volvo parts!
Old 15-10-2014, 11:51   #2906

Boat: Searunner 31

Ihave my SR 31 now for 6 years and sail her with my wife mostly on LongIsland sound and RI MA coast. We love her,even with four on board it is cosy for a fewbdays but for the 2 of us it is perfect.
We have installed fully battend Main of a F27 trimaran and fly F27 assymetric chute, no sock.Got her going 12 kn on a reach this summer.
She is always faster at the beginning of the season with cean bottom and points 45 degrees appearent wind, if the water is relativly flat.
To bad there are so few SRs around here.
gerald
gskufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 13:48   #2907

Does the F27 main fit on your original Searunner mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskufner View Post
Ihave my SR 31 now for 6 years and sail her with my wife mostly on LongIsland sound and RI MA coast. We love her,even with four on board it is cosy for a fewbdays but for the 2 of us it is perfect.
We have installed fully battend Main of a F27 trimaran and fly F27 assymetric chute, no sock.Got her going 12 kn on a reach this summer.
She is always faster at the beginning of the season with cean bottom and points 45 degrees appearent wind, if the water is relativly flat.
To bad there are so few SRs around here.
gerald
Old 15-10-2014, 14:01   #2908

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Does the F27 main fit on your original Searunner mast?
Got 17 for a short period according to the GPS with a 31 SR. Not comfortable flying an ama that high. Flat water and the wind just right. Don't know I'd do it again.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 15:08   #2909

Boat: Searunner 31

The F 27 pin top mainsail fits.I need to use cunningham on the flattening reef and the outhaul is at the end. Also had to split the back stay,which now ends at the cross beams.In light air on the LI sound, it works great. Need to reef earlier.
BTW 17 kn on a SR 31 scary
Gerald
gskufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 15:37   #2910

17 knots is fast man! I remember Jim Brown saying that its necessary to "hot rod" your boat at the beginning when sailing close to land just so you'll know its capabilities and then sail with reserve and caution when cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Got 17 for a short period according to the GPS with a 31 SR. Not comfortable flying an ama that high. Flat water and the wind just right. Don't know I'd do it again.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran