Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 07:20   #1126

Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
I wonder what the volume difference is between the 40', the 37' the 34' and the 31'. Anyone ever see any figures? As a boat doubles the volume (and everything else) cubes.
If the boat size increases proportionally in all dimensions, an easy-to-remember rule of thumb is:

If the length (and width and height) increase by 25%
the surface area increases by about 50%
and the volume increases by about 100%

So a 39' boat has about half again the surface area of a 31', and about twice the volume of a 31'.
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 08:55   #1127

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

This explains my fatigue, of late, as I struggle to complete the interior painting of my galley and sterncastle. It makes me think the boat has grown over the last thirty five years. And, when I pressure washed the decks the other day, it took longer than the last time. Is there a correlation between these factors? Forty feet is a lot to care for. But it has its advantages.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 15:37   #1128

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
This explains my fatigue, of late, as I struggle to complete the interior painting of my galley and sterncastle. It makes me think the boat has grown over the last thirty five years. And, when I pressure washed the decks the other day, it took longer than the last time. Is there a correlation between these factors? Forty feet is a lot to care for. But it has its advantages.
Roy,
As one of the few remaining, "3 decade Searunner ol timers", with the same boat... I bet you've noticed more than most, how these boats can actually change size over the years.

When in the LONG building process, they are HUGE. Then when you splash it, it gets smaller. Go to sea & she gets smaller still. After your first full gale at sea, the boat is really really small!

Then over the decades, you have a complete interior repaint, or two... and the boat gets larger. Then for a major refit in the boatyard, you look up at her from the ground, the boat is HUGE once again!

Amazing isn't it? AND this "changing of size", in BOTH directions, is experienced by the boat owner/builder at an expanding rate, that starts going UP as they pass the age of 55, by an extra 6.7% per year!

The end result, is that if you make it to 70, and are still Searunning with your own creation, it is BOTH twice as large AND twice as small as it started out, depending solely on timing. This is all based on solid science, but I forget the name of the algorithm.

With Mariam & I currently in the boat yard, taking on a number of long overdue tasks, Delphys is now in it's HUGE stage!

M.
Old 22-04-2012, 16:02   #1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
If the boat size increases proportionally in all dimensions, an easy-to-remember rule of thumb is:

If the length (and width and height) increase by 25%
the surface area increases by about 50%
and the volume increases by about 100%

So a 39' boat has about half again the surface area of a 31', and about twice the volume of a 31'.

BTW...

I don't think that this "rule of thumb" applies well to trimarans... IMO, A SR 40 has closer to twice, (or more), of the "surface area" of the 31...

Their proportions change from size to size, you can't compare an "A frame" to full wing, and with three hulls, going just 3 or 4' longer, (X 3 hulls), may double the amount of paint required to paint it. This is the "tell all" of surface area.

Based on the epoxy/glass, and paint required, I'd guess that our SR 34 is easily 3 or 4 X the surface area, = "size" of my previous SC 28.

Then, there is the above algorithm, that is hard to quantify, but real nonetheless...

M.
Old 23-04-2012, 06:15   #1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
BTW...

I don't think that this "rule of thumb" applies well to trimarans... IMO, A SR 40 has closer to twice, (or more), of the "surface area" of the 31...

Their proportions change from size to size, you can't compare an "A frame" to full wing, and with three hulls, going just 3 or 4' longer, (X 3 hulls), may double the amount of paint required to paint it. This is the "tell all" of surface area.
Your experience should trump my theory, but unless you kept accurate records of amounts of supplies used the psychological effort of painting the larger boat may have fooled your perception.

Quote:
Based on the epoxy/glass, and paint required, I'd guess that our SR 34 is easily 3 or 4 X the surface area, = "size" of my previous SC 28.
Don't know if SRs and SCs are similar enough to compare, but the amounts of epoxy, fiberglass and plywood used might more closely reflect the 100% volume rule, whereas paint might follow the 50% surface rule.
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 08:10   #1131

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

You may need to factor another element into the equation. By the time you arrive at that later stage of the ownership process, you may well have managed to acquire some friends who have enjoyed life more fully by having had nice experiences with you and the boat. They seem to magically appear in the boatyard to offer their hands and smiles. Things go more quickly than they might have if the boating experience had been more traumatic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00416.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	40284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00503.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	40285  

Name:	DSC00488.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	40286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05538-reduced.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	40287  

Name:	PICT0318.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	40288  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 10:57   #1132

Boat: Farrier TT720, Windrider 17
Just arrived home, after 2400 mile road trip

Well I did it.
I trailered my Searunner 31, 2400 miles.
Bought her in Napa, California and trailered her to Wisconsin.
Demounted the amas, tucked them under main hull and away I went.
Built the trailer from an old house trailer frame and axles.
Even used the old house trailer tires, which were around 30 years old.
My wife had never seen the boat, so when I got home her reply was "Holly **** that is a big boat"
More details to follow, if interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	40402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	40403  

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	40404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	40405  

trisailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 13:07   #1133

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Well done ! Plenty of people will be interested in how to do the transport in 1 trip.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 16:21   #1134

Trisailor,
Congratulations indeed! Transportability is one of the big advantages of the A frame Searunners. You are probably aware of this, but...

While you have her apart, be sure that you have the "UP GRADED" version of the A frame connectives. In the old days, the originals were found to be under spec., and there just may be a few of them still out there. John Marples can tell you how to tell them apart, if in doubt.

Best of luck with it.

M.
Old 25-04-2012, 18:33   #1135

John and I have an ongoing debate about my a-frame plans.
I plan to add a hinge to each bottom arm and a bolt plate to the upper arms, so she can fold her amas under.
She will still be oversized folded, but permits are cheap.
I've seen a Searunner 25 doing it.
Basic same design, just bigger.
John about died as I cut the a-frames off.
There were internal bars in the a-frames, so that was a surprise.
This 31 had the chicken wings mod, so the old a-frames were fine
Lot's of fun ahead of me..
Old 26-04-2012, 10:01   #1136

Boat: Catalac 8m

What did you pull it with?
CharleyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 17:26   #1137

I used a 1979 Chevy 1 ton truck.
350 motor and 3 speed auto transmission.
Quite a job, up the hills of the west, but she did fine.
Old 26-04-2012, 20:08   #1138

You've probably opened the A-frame Pandora's box....Those things are a pain but why didn't you unbolt them? Mine came undone after sitting a loooong time. Listen to John Marples if he gives suggestions as he actually calculates the loads and things. Maybe you can convince them the time has come for a update with you providing the test platform. One system that occurred to me is the simple swing arm used by the old Oceanbird Tri and on the Horstman 26MT. Then you could fold for berths too....After dissecting a 31 I'd want to do something else too if I had to disassemble often. Good luck with the project and think about new trailer tires, those old ones sound a bit cavalier
Old 28-04-2012, 18:06   #1139

I have owned 4 multis non have been wood. Could I get a very simple definition of a west system boat? Specifically I was wondering do west system boats have any glass mat on the exterior or is it just epoxy painted on the wood? Also the difference between west system and cold molded?
Flight Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 19:39   #1140

WEST is an acronym for wood epoxy saturation technique. on a wood boat all parts are coated (minimum 2 if non sanded) and bonded using epoxy. This applies to a ply boat or laminated hull. The outside of the hull may be coated with epoxy or epoxy and a light fiberglass, dynel, polypropylene or other suitable woven fiber cloth. Cold molding refers to the fact that epoxy laminations cure at room temperature. During WW2 many airplanes were made of laminated wood but the adhesives of the time needed to be bonded in a giant mold autoclave and heated to a high temperature-hot ,molding. 2 examples are the British Spitfire fighter and Mosquito bomber. After the war epoxies let people start making boats without the expensive hot molding gear.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran