Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 17-08-2008, 17:00   #181

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Reading

This is a link to some writing by Charles Kanter that you may find interesting if you have not seen it.

I have surveyed four Jim Brown Searunner 37s and sailed aboard others. I can't help but marvel at the superior ergonomic layout of this vessel and its extraordinary seakeeping ability. In my opinion, it is the finest layout for ocean voyaging I have yet seen.

more of this at:

Southwinds Multi Media
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 08:11   #182

Thank you for your information about e Bay. Very interesting. Could you please tell me in which category should I looking for the manual.
Luis Sa Figueir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 09:55   #183

Boat: searunner 31
Also on ebay - case for the cruising tri.

Also on ebay today:

THE CASE FOR THE CRUISING TRIMARAN by JIM BROWN - eBay (item 180277784368 end time Aug-22-08 08:45:05 PDT)

Cheers

cats..paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 09:58   #184

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I recently purchased a used copy of the Searunner Construction Manual, for about $30, from John Marples. He may have access to others. The Case for the Cruising Multihull is a classic. Buty it for simple investment purposes, and enjoy the heck out of it while waiting to sell it for more $$ than you paid for it. It is fabulous.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 10:02   #185

You're right Roy, I've enjoyed my copy. The one on Ebay is for someone else.

Old 18-08-2008, 21:36   #186
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Luis
Just search for Searunner Trimaran or just trimaran and if one is listed it should come up. It may take a few weeks, a few months it is all a matter of timing. My copy of The case for the Cruising Trimaran is getting a little beat up maybe I will have to look for another. It is a great book and it does come up on Ebay fairly often.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 01:57   #187

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Luckily when I purchase my Searunner with the boat came the original plan's. 2 Original manuals (Second one being the best with more information) and the Case for the Cruising Trimaran. (The Bible)
All written by Jim Brown and devoted wife.
Aroha was built in Timaru so it must be the most southern Searunner.
I also have found 4 or 5 news-letters. A5 size stapled about 12-15 pages. They were a 4 monthly thing I think. Even today very interesting reading about people travelling around in these Searunners. Their experiences and tip's about their boats, and the life of a Seafarer. A sailing culture and very addictive. I must admit I have been captivated somewhat of Jim Browns writings and philosophy even today.

I did hear that Jim and John have sold over 2000 Searunner plans.
So it must have been extremely popular in the early 70's when everyone wanted to build a boat in their back yard.
Now its a by-gone erra here in New Zealand anyway, the backyard boatbuilder isnt seen much at all.
Its a pitty. now with a computer and a cellphone one lives a different lifestyle.
Shame that cause Building a Searunner and sailing the world would have to be and still is top of the list.
But even today Searunner plans are still being sold. Amazing!

The Searunners owners list on the net is going to be updated.
There are many more Searunner owners in the world that already have given their details to the owners list. This list oneday will be very helpfull with Selling and Buying I believe that it will ad value to Searunners.
Because email and net communication its possible to revive the very clever design of the Searunner.
Bob Wilson is the man that is re creating the new Searunner owners list
[bob@trimariner.com] you might like to send him pic's of your boat with details about its history.
There was talk about a revived newsletter also.

PS gosh the winter has been a nasty windy cold wet one in New Zealand. Roll on summer.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 16:14   #188

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
I also have found 4 or 5 news-letters. A5 size stapled about 12-15 pages. They were a 4 monthly thing I think.
Was that the Windvane?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 23:17   #189

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Yes thats correct "The Windvane"
Stored somewhere in my boat.....
I wonder how many of these where printed
Does any one know?
It was a great idea, cause it involved other searunner experiences.
These where the times without email, and it took a few months to get it out around the world.

I saw just recently in a Magazine Classic Yacht maybe... an article about Trimarans and their evolution. I was very annoyed that Jim Brown was hardly mention.

I look at other Trimarans that have different kind of beams, Searunner verticle ply beams as bulk heads was so smart in that day.
I know in the housing business ply bracing wasnt even thought off at that time.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 07:40   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Yes thats correct "The Windvane"
Stored somewhere in my boat.....
I wonder how many of these where printed
Does any one know?
I've seen three of them, here is a link to a PDF of each. That is hardly a complete answer, but there is the current high water mark.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 21-08-2008, 13:47   #191

Boat: Cross 38 trimaram
Thanks for the link, it's great. The time machine site is also fantastic, really impressed.
M.
manawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 08:28   #192

Whoa!

Fantastic find!....this stuff is timeless. Thanks for posting the PDF's. Let's keep the Searunner boat/life alive....:-)
Old 22-08-2008, 12:00   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawa View Post
Thanks for the link, it's great. The time machine site is also fantastic, really impressed.
M.
My pleasure gents. A couple of months ago I did search on Jim Brown and Searunner in Google ... 5900 (or so) pages. I read almost all of them. Time machine was one of the well-written gems.

Here is another but the connection is not as direct:
Jim Brown came to town recently with Canadian videographer Scott Brown (no relation), to gather input for his Vaka Project, which is intended to compile, archive, and present a comprehensive history of modern multihulling from 1950 to 2000. His plan is to eventually make the information available to the public on paper, in video, or on the web. This 50 year span will form the core of a timeline which will be augmented in years to come; the scope of the project will hopefully expand to be an ongoing comprehensive history of multihulls from antiquity into the future.[1]
The nascent collection can be viewed (though not online yet) at the Newport News Mariners Museum.

Maren

Old 27-08-2008, 09:02   #194

Chute's

Anyone actually hang a tri off a chute in a good blow? This stuff really interests me, and I have never used one yet. I have one I want to try this fall, I am not of sure of the diameter. Just wondering if anyone here has actually used one when it was needed. There is a lot of good info on this site. Check the news/ late files for some good stuff....:-)

drag device data base
Old 27-08-2008, 09:44   #195

Chutes on tris.

Hi Jmolan,

I've been enjoying your posts and pics on the forum.
Here's a brief account of our flying a chute from an SR31:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post180204

Best, Kit

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran