Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 14-08-2008, 14:42   #166

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Roy M...that is the way it works on our boat as well. Just turn the wheel and you are there!
I want to try the mainsail only trick when I get back to the boat. This is good stuff to kick around.
I belive it was you who ask about synthetic for a headstay. I know it will not work on a normal rolling furler. They are all sized for wire. We oversize just a bit to get major gains in low creep and more strength. They key to no stretch or "creep" is to not load the line anywhere near the working load. Creep is the line elongnation that does not spring back. Stretch is the elongnation that does return to normal.
I plan to rig my 34' with a 9mm headstay using normal hanks. I want to see how it takes the wear of hanks. 9mm Dynex Dux has a breaking strength of 26,500 lbs! you could pick up 3 or 4 of the boat with it.
My ultimate set up is the new continuous line furlers now available. Colligo has a buitiful unit that is about half price of the big names...This way you can roll the sail up and drop it. Your sail goes in the bag all rolled up in a sausage. You can change sails very easy this way. Looking at the roundworld race multis they have a many as 5 cont. line furlers on the bow, from a sprit all the way back to a tiny rag. Roll the sail up, drop it on deck and it is ready to hoist and unroll. I am considering a bowsprit for a big rolled up Code 0 or something similar. I think the stay sail is so small I would be really pushing the "custom" part...like more than really needed. But the cont. line furler is so much simpler and easy to use, I would like to rig the genny and yankee with it, and perhaps out on a sprit....:-)
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 14:52   #167

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Cheers Roy
Yes I shall try that.
sounds good when the weather is below 20 knot I would have thought.
Heave to. works well with Mono's and seems to work well with Tri's too.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 17:31   #168

hi i am back with some more questions,ha. i am wanting to know of anyone with a 34'5" searunner with a shower installed if so where does it fit and is it good enough?
and is the 34'5" big enough for a family of four and two dogs?

also the searunners look like there is no easy place to get into or out of the water for swimming, fishing ect. cheers.
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 18:34   #169

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
I know everyone hear has a searunner but can anyone give any info on a Hedley Nichol Wanderer

PMAN that would be a tight ship
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 20:07   #170

hi everyone one more question on value of searunner 40' 1990, in good condition set up as a livaboard, would anyone say 115k australian dollars would be good value? thanks
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 21:00   #171

I seen that on boat point not much info but in NZ you can get a 1995 one for only NZ$68000 looks the same just fabric change seams steeeep but australian boats always are. add 10k to import and a trip accross to aus still not to bad.

SEARUNNER TRIMARAN 1995 For Sale in Auckland – TradeABoat.co.nz
Old 15-08-2008, 21:30   #172

Boat: Cross 38 trimaram
pman

I've had a look thru the 40' searunner for A$115,000, it's in Bundaberg queensland. It's in reasonable order, liveaboard owner in his 70's, at that price it's overpriced and won't sell.
The Nicol wanderers have a full bellied double diagonal hull that gives a lot of space inside and good payload. Like most older ply tris they are also slow sellers.
m.
manawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 21:36   #173

Boat: Cross 38 trimaram
hi, the boat in NZ is a searunner 34.

m.
manawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 21:41   #174

manawa you are so right my convertion sux
Old 16-08-2008, 08:46   #175

Soft Hanks

Roy M, I am going to get the "dog bones" and splice up my own Dux for "soft hanks" to use on the new Dux forstay's in Oct. Both the headstay, staysail stay and baby stay will be synthetics. This site has some really progressive stuff for us old cruisers to adapt to. They are into racing F boats. I feel that is it can stand up to heavy duty racing, it is really worth a shot at cruising stuff.
Precourt Systems - Internationally recognized for our synthetic rigging systems

A 34' is designed for a couple to cruise and live aboard. Maybe with a kid or two. Jim Brown took his 31' with wife and two teen boys for a 3 year cruise. It's so much a personal choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sh_on_metallic.jpeg
Views:	499
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	4714  
Old 16-08-2008, 15:32   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I saw Keet in Haleiwa on Oahu in the spring of 2007. Talked a bit with the owner, he was just finishing a refit and the boat looked sharp with the new paint job.

Luis
E Bay is an online auction site where just about anything is available. The manual I mentioned was included with the plans. Called the Searunner Construction Manual. I have seen it available a few times, though you would have to check for it on a regular basis and hope you catch one when it is listed for sale. I believe it is out of print now.

pman
115k seems a bit steep, but boats seem to be a bit higher priced in Australia
Some average prices I have seen here in the U.S. are 20-25k for a 31, 35-40k for a 34, 50-75k for a 37 or 40. That would be in good condition. May be good deals for those of you who have a currency that is beating up on the dollar.
One good place for a boarding ladder is close to the stern of the ama. This is the lowest point of the deck. Steps on the transom are common and a few boats have a modified sugar scoop stern with steps.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 15:43   #177

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
pman, I use a stainless steel t-bar type swim ladder from Kiwiland or Oz on my starboard inboard float aft. I can't send a pic becuase I have removed it for designing a foam ladder that has a swim platform, supported at the inboard side by a synthetic line to the sterncastle pulpit, outboard side. When I get closer, I'll send some pics. Right now it's merely a fig-newton of my imagination.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 17:36   #178

Jmolan
I have had a good look at what you have been talking about. I think its a great idea with a bowsprit but means a big change with anchoring systems and with inner stays. I do like the idea of easy change because the sails mule and yankee especially the combination between the staysail and jankee work so well from 15 knots up to gale.
I already have a furler on my staysail. It works a gem.
I hope to do have some kind of furler on one of my front forstays.
Sure would be much easier but then I do like the idea of different sail shapes.
Here is something I got from a replied email
The CN5 Furler was desgined specifically for the cruising boat. With a sealed bearing in a sealed compartment it is a great no maintenance solution to the racer type furlers. It is a luff line furler in which you have to get a high torsionally rigid line (Dynex Dux is great for this) sewn into the luff of your sail. We have people using them for code zeros, gennakers, and staysails on inner stays. For your inner stay this system would replace it. Most people do not use it for their main headsail, using and extrusion furler is permanent and really better for that location. If you are considering putting a bowsprit on your boat you could use it for a large light air headsail (gennaker, Code Zero, etc.) and also use it for the sail on your inner stay in higher wind conditions- 1 furler for both locations.

115 000 for a 40 searunner if its in very good condtion is bargain to me.
Depends on what it comes with and the age of the electronics.
Engine age set up and condition.
More spending on ya boat is a real pain after a while.
Old 16-08-2008, 21:39   #179

Yes

I have the bowsprit figured as being off set, or along side the headstay. It is how a couple boats I know have done it. Maybe if I am good enough engineer it can fold back out of the way when not in use. We'll see. First I gotta get it rigged and running.
I have (after 30 years on boats) a few rules I run on. As far as things like the bowsprit, that would be an upgrade.

My stuff goes like this: 1st Repairs, try to do them so you cannot tell anything broke.
2nd: Maintainence: Make sure to take good care of the things I have been given, before wishing for more.
3rd: Upgrade.....give it a lot of thought and try to figure how bad I need it, or will it really be worth it.....

I believe these are the continuous line furlers you are talking about. They are really fine looking and run very smooth...:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CN5%20with%20sail.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	4718   Click image for larger version

Name:	0385%20side_front.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	4719  

Old 16-08-2008, 22:19   #180

Yes thats the one. It looks very smooth.
I think they are good in lighter airs
Maybe up until 25 knots.
Not sure after that.
Its great for racing and fine tuning a sail wardrobe. ... lighter sails.
With a standard furler I can change sails if need be anyway.
I would like to see and hear a bit more these.
Please let me know once or if you have changed with Pic's.

I am hoping to go cruising from May next year so will need to make some decisions. Its important to have everything working in all weather I now that much.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran