Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 17:41   #16

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Think this is great news for sailing cats in general and obviously well done by the marketing team at Outremer (this is marketing at its finest).

The Marketing is not about trying to sell Outremers to the current Youtube subscriber based but about raising the profile of the brand globally. The other very interesting aspect is that this will also help other cat manufacturers etc as many future sailors won't be able to afford the 1Million Dollar price tags but there are a lot of $200K + cats out there that will now get snapped up by future Vagabonds.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 18:02   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

OMG OMG OMG, I did not know Orlando Bloom and Celine Dion had a cat !!!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 18:27   #18

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380

Regardless what boat they are in, they make very enjoyable videos. I look forward each week when the post.

I know no other you tube channel with that many followers.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:45   #19

Im happy for them. When I started really thinking about doing this in a few years(been a vague thought for a few years now, has been mentioned a couple times like "we could live on a boat" by both the wife and I, but it was just a vague idea floating in the mist) the first youtube channel I stumbled across was theirs. They have had a large impact and been an inspiration to me in formulating my plan. And Im not a "20 to 30" something.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:50   #20

Boat: Liberty 458

Good on them. This is the future of product placement.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 20:19   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I had to stop watching. Great for them but they have lost an envious viewer They have joined the rest of the vlogs where Gen y'ers and millennials buy outrageously expensive boats and go sailing. I can't relate... might as well watch "Rich Teens of Instagram".
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 20:28   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Wow... not as many bitter comments as I thought.

While I don't watch their videos, it's great to see them succeed on Youtube. $10,000 a video and a free Outremer.... just a bit jealous here.

I just need Boreal or Garcia to "like" our site

Matt
Old 19-09-2016, 20:38   #23

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Wow... not as many bitter comments as I thought.

While I don't watch their videos, it's great to see them succeed on Youtube. $10,000 a video and a free Outremer.... just a bit jealous here.

I just need Boreal or Garcia to "like" our site

Matt
Hey Matt
You just need to get your boat finished and start cruising.... Maybe Garcia will notice then
FYI: I follow you more often than I follow them. Keep the great boat work posts coming!
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 20:44   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

These two remind me of a couple I met in Mazatlan in the 1980's. They were both IT types from Silicon Valley before SC was the happening place it became.
They told me that they were both sick of the rat race and the direction their life appeared to be taking so, while they were young and healthy, they sold their cars, condo, all their furniture, cashed in their retirement plans and bought a 34 foot monohull. He would periodically go back to CA and work on contract to supply the cruising kitty while she stayed aboard and looked after maintenance, including their diesel.
Livin' the dream in their early 30's.. Name of their boat... 'Dessert First'!
Le Vagabondo wasn't the first... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 20:48   #25

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I'm not sure where that "consensus" is coming from. It's safe to say that only "cruisers" buy water makers because you don't need one if your boat is a Marina Queen or just a weekender. Our sales are crazy up and I know from talking to Spectra that theirs are as well. We can hardly build them fast enough with our 2016 inventory based on a 30% growth over 2015 and we still are running out of stock.

The Baja Ha-ha Rally that shuttles cruisers from San Diego to Mexico has a record sign up this year with over 175 Boats!

Standing around at the Boat Shows talking to other gear manufacturers, I seeing the same type of sales for other real cruising gear companies. So I'm not seeing a slow down in Cruisers...but an uptick.
Your numbers proved what I thought was/is going on. Look to the mags too; lots of younger couples, families, citizen scientists going to sea. Cruising World has rotating stories of many families, that are, dare I say it, pretty normal looking. Not everybody has to be a swashbuckling story teller like Capn Fatty. There's a nice surplus of good used boats out there, and it's only going to get cheaper to acquire a 40ft plastic boat. With the advent of electric winches, water makers, gps, radar, onboard washing machines, etc… the gear is opening up a lifestyle choice/change for many people.

I can only shake my head though, as I missed my YouTube stardom. I was cruising around Mexico 15 years ago with mermaids in search of treasure. I caught a fish or two and had some good times. Couldn't grow a 'stache though, and doubt i would have had many followers for that reason alone.

At least they haven't fallen down the rabbit hole of drunken frat party like Delos. They used to have decent content. Now it's just lame. YouTube "Sea Change" for some amazing footage. RED cameras dude. And they know how to edit and tell a story that runs deeper than the typical stuff out there.

Stoked for LV. Nice upgrade, and can't wait to see how they handle it.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 20:48   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
$10,000 a video and a free Outremer.... just a bit jealous here.
They didn't say a "free Outremer" that I saw...just that they "did a deal". My bet is that most likely they got a huge discount..but Free...I doubt it.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 21:00   #27

Boat: Catalina 387

MarkJ as usual has the analysis spot on. No, she's pretty far from dingo-ugly and that helps out enormously.

As far as SV Third Day's comment: "They didn't say a "free Outremer" that I saw...just that they "did a deal"." I'd agree with that. I'd bet a few doughnuts that the title of that boat is not in their names. Maybe leased from Outremer at a low price, or lent for no compensation for awhile.

OTOH, $10K a video is a lot...
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 21:05   #28

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I'm guessing a "free" lease too. We'd often do that with cars in my past life for news/radio personalities.

Gpeacock- Thanks for following along.

Matt
Old 19-09-2016, 21:52   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I had to stop watching. Great for them but they have lost an envious viewer They have joined the rest of the vlogs where Gen y'ers and millennials buy outrageously expensive boats and go sailing. I can't relate... might as well watch "Rich Teens of Instagram".
You may be right there zboss. While I'm happy about their fairytale and success and have been a long term subsciber I am worried that in the future the contents will be much less interesting and there will be less motivation to view their videos.
So far it has been an absolute pleasure to see this beautiful couple following a dream in their very average second hand boat and surviving and managing an adventure. Something I have been able to relate to.

But I have no interest whatsoever to follow a million dollar lifestyle.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 00:26   #30

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Agree about how great their adventures have been, the kind of people you would like to meet in your anchorage,, an inspiration to many i am sure.

Just a little sad that another mono is being replaced by a multi, "boat". The times they are a changing, the march of the catamaran goes on......

I will keep watching though, for their personalities, not the boat.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote