Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 09:12   #1

Should I start with a cat or monohull?

Ok..here's the story. I am taking sailing classes on a small 14.2 Capri. My goal is to be aboard a cat in 3-5 years with the family. Should i start with say a 27' mono and learn all, then get the cat, or should i look at forgoing the mono and get the cat. Any suggestions would be helpful.
skifinnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:23   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Get what you can afford. Sailing is sailing. I would favour a mono as you get a better feel for the wind through the boat heeling.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:00   #3

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Get the cat, learn in the rentals. Get what you will be sailing on. Have time to learn the boat before getting away from home port. I was a powerboater, commercial marine type work, Hydrographic survey, crew boats, tugs, etc. and had NEVER sailed. My wife and I bought a PDQ 34 Sailing cat and had it for 8 years before "upgrading" to the bigger boat.

Just Do It
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:23   #4

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifinnatic View Post
Should i start with say a 27' mono and learn all, then get the cat...
Let your budget be your guide – generally the purchase price for a smallish monohull cruiser is far more modest… and many folks advocate the incremental approach; starter boat, first cruiser and so on… nothing wrong with that; but if you can competently handle the Capri you’ll probably have somewhat more superior sailing skills than many of us had when we jumped into family cruisers… I’m not saying throw caution to the wind, but if you are yearning for a multihull anyway, I’d consider putting my energy in that direction once you’re up to speed and generally confident with the Capri… the accommodations aspects (systems management, general navigation, auxiliary, etc., etc…) aren’t drastically different between mono-and multi…
Old 11-06-2008, 10:33   #5

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
I am taking sailing classes on a small 14.2 Capri.
Here's a slightly different recommendation:

Get one of those 14.2 Capris you're taking lessons in - or something similar - and master it over the next 3 - 5 years. Be able to sail it with your eyes closed. Mastering that will ground you very nicely in the sailing fundamentals. THEN get any dern boat you can afford.

JMHO

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Ok..here's the story. I am taking sailing classes on a small 14.2 Capri. My goal is to be aboard a cat in 3-5 years with the family. Should i start with say a 27' mono and learn all, then get the cat, or should i look at forgoing the mono and get the cat. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Are you both taking the lessons? and is the family small enough to join you on a 27 ft mono.
A lot of wives are not as enthusiastic, thus need to be persuaded gently towards the ultimate goal. For a lot of women, the heeled deck is not comfortable, thus the cat should be an earlier move.
One advantage of starting with the mono is you will be a better trained sailor (especially if you do a lot of the training in dinghies), and will learn what you ewant from the cat prior to committing money without actually knowing what you want.

Thus this decision is different for each family, you will need to assess how it affects your circumstances and family.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Are you both taking the lessons? and is the family small enough to join you on a 27 ft mono.
A lot of wives are not as enthusiastic, thus need to be persuaded gently towards the ultimate goal. For a lot of women, the heeled deck is not comfortable, thus the cat should be an earlier move.
One advantage of starting with the mono is you will be a better trained sailor (especially if you do a lot of the training in dinghies), and will learn what you ewant from the cat prior to committing money without actually knowing what you want.

Thus this decision is different for each family, you will need to assess how it affects your circumstances and family.
Talbot,
We are not both taking lessons. I believe the family is small enough for a 27 ft? I have a 5, 4 and 2. I want them brought up on a sailboat. Believe it or not, i'm selling my F-150 super crew truck next week to get me closer to my dreams. I don't believe my kids will grow up saying, "Geez, daddy had a really cool truck growing up." But they will say,"Gosh, i remember my daddy taking my sailing and then living at sea for a couple of years." Now those are the memories I want my kids to have. And the wife is supportive of it also. I am a scuba instructor and wife dives as well. (warm water of course) She thinks southern cali is cold. I said, "Have you been to Lake Michigan?" Anyways, thanks for the info.
Old 21-06-2008, 12:48   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Talbot,
We are not both taking lessons. I believe the family is small enough for a 27 ft? I have a 5, 4 and 2. I want them brought up on a sailboat.
No doubt about sufficient space in a 27ft to get everyone in (just ask a sardine if they are crowded in the tin) However, when you get into a marina to relax after a day's good sailing. You put the kids to bed, it is impossible to entertain anyone else in the saloon. In fact it is impossible to use the saloon unless very quiet and the light is out. I have seen a family in similar circumstances sitting in the cockpit at night to talk to each other - trouble was, it was raining at the time.

As for the diving - being able to dive together is fantastic (I wish) - but impossible if it means leaving 5,4,and 2 in charge of the boat! and you dont really have enough space to include anothe couple to share the diving/looking after boat and kids.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:55   #9

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
One other thought, get the boat you want (cat) and not pay a brokers commission (losing that $$$) when you sell the first boat.

And lastly before you buy , go charter a cat or two and really get to know them better than a quick walk through.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
One other thought, get the boat you want (cat) and not pay a brokers commission (losing that $$$) when you sell the first boat.

And lastly before you buy , go charter a cat or two and really get to know them better than a quick walk through.
Am going to charter a cat next year for our family vacation. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-06-2008, 16:32   #11
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I am with Sea King to the extent that you should charter a cat or two before committing to the boat of your dreams. It may also be worthwhile joining a yacht club - many are looking for crew on race nights and it is another good way to hone your skills. Having said all of that, I think 2hulls is spot on - buy a small, inexpensive monohull and bang around in it for a few years while chartering larger boats. You will definitely hone your skills at a very low cost.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 13:18   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
. My goal is to be aboard a cat in 3-5 years with the family.
as you have already made up your mind the whole question is superflous

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 05:08   #13

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Old fashioned as I am, I would start with a Mono (not a to expensive one)!
Than you have the basics for different categories of sailing.
In the meantime make up your mind what kind of Cat!

My two Euro cents
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 10:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I too would recommend an intermediate monohull for one reason only. Any cruising cat will cost more than a largish cruising sailboat, and you could buy a 30 foot or larger used Catalina or Hunter sooner, while they are still young and trainable! At adolescence, all bets are off. But keep an eye open for a well kept older cat, and be ready to move, providing you have a place to keep it, and the time to maintain and use it. Do not expect to make any money on your monohull though.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 05:01   #15

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Just a note on Family in a Cat. underway the forward bunks can become trampolines in that their cargo leaps up and down while sleeping. The kiddies may snug down in the saloon OK but for most situations I'd put the kids in the stern berths and use the saloon / forward berths for the parents. See threads on leaping bows!
The older cats, Prout in particular, are very good value and allow the bucks to buy the extra length for ocean going and sea friendly handling. The three berth configuration should suit but your only double will be in the saloon. Kitchen is in the starboard hull, heads in the port.
Also cockpits are not designed for little ones, especially toddlers, but some provide really safe environment that keeps kidies in the cockpit. Secure netting will be required if harnesses are not worn. I think you should be looking for at least 40 ft, maybe 42 as a minimum, perhaps 45. Wharrams look more family friendly with a centre cockpit but no 'play' area. Modern stuff mostly have tiny cockpits to get double berths below. You've just got to look a pictures alot alot and then go to shows to see if they might suit. Your plans are sound though. there are others doing it too. Best wishes.