Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 13:07   #1
cruiser

Sell Me Your Catamaran! :)

Ok, so I went to FL to look at the old Prout Snowgoose. Based on my findings, I have a price of what the Prout is worth. It's less than 1/3 of asking. And no... I'm not lowballing... I'm just being realistic. So... I need some alternatives.

Anyone got a less desirable catamaran they want to unload for less than $35K cash?

OR.... if you have a nice one, want to unload it for $80-$90K?

I will be throwing my hat in the chartering ring again so I may be inclined to set myself up with a loan. Yeah... stupid of me to sell one boat and then get another with a loan, but I have a high dollar charter opportunity sitting in my lap. It's worth financing for that.

Anyway, who's got a cat between FL and Maine that wants to unload it? I'm no tire kicker. I'm ready to buy it today (literally) if it passes my admittedly rigirous self-survey.

Please post, PM or whatever. I'll be in Ft Lauderdale tomorrow looking at alternatives with 2hulls.com people. Let me know about yours, and I'll come see it.

I'm a fool with money burning a hole in my pocket. Sell me your catamaran!
Old 07-02-2008, 13:29   #2

Sorry the Snowgoose didn't work out for you.
Old 07-02-2008, 14:04   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Hey, we all know that you are no fool. But as to a cruising cat for under $35,000.... The problem is that, unlike monohulls, the supply of used cats (especially in the under $100,000.00 range) is widely outstripped by the demand. There has been a huge move towards cats for, no doubt, the same reasons that have attracted you. But since cats were not very popular (particularly in North America) until the last 10-15 years, there is virtually no supply of older, cheaper boats. Yes, you can find all sorts of ocean capable monos for that, or even less. But catamarans?

You might find an old Iroquois (great boat, but very limited in interior space and some question about stability for offshore use). You might even find a particularly baffed old Prout or Catalac (and even then, it will be a smaller one). But all of these boats are actually still pretty 'desireable' precisely because of the supply/demand curve, and because they were pretty decent at what they did.

Maybe there is a questionable home-built out there somewhere, but one has to be very careful in the case of a catamaran to ensure that it was constructed properly. The forces exerted by the rig on the bridgedeck (to say nothing of the torsional rigidity required to cope in a seaway with two hulls spaced well apart) leaves no room for error, or amateurish construction. Please understand, I am not saying that amateurs cannot build a terrific boat, only that you are not likely to find a good one for under $35,000.00.

I am also unsure why you are jumping from 'under $35,000.00' all the way to $85,000.00 to $90,000.00. No doubt you can get a much better selection in the higher range and therewith, likely a bit better 'bang for the buck'. But you are also apt to be able to find a much larger range of Prouts and Catalacs somewhere in the middle; below that, they are likely to be in need of more than merely 'TLC'. Lets face it, what at first can seem like a bargain, can rapidly deteriorate into a money - pit that will have a limited re-sale value.

Anyway, I hope you prove me wrong and find a great older boat that somebody wants to give away. It just strikes me that you are likely in for a long wait (or a lot of headaches).

Brad
Old 07-02-2008, 14:15   #4

A few weeks ago there was a very well equipped Lagoon 42 TPI in St. Maarten for 90K - apparently it hadn't been used for 2 years and the owners just wanted to get rid of it. It wasn't for sale very long - occasionally you will find a deal if you keep looking and can move fast.

There is a Privilege 39 in Maryland with what is described as "minor" blistering - asking 99K:

1992 Jeantot Privilege 39 Boat For Sale
Old 07-02-2008, 14:18   #5
cruiser

I agree completely, Brad.

That explains the big jump. I could buy an old beater for $35K cash, or finance something nice. I'm leaning toward financing something nice due to the condition the Prout was in relative to asking. Fixing the Prout would have cost me at *least* $25K plus a year of my life, and then lost charter income this summer. Not a good deal for it in my case. May be good for others but not for me.

So yes, I am looking at a Catalac tomorrow and there are some Prouts out there in this higher range. They are possibilities.

Does anyone know anything about how these hulls are constructed on the following:

Newer Prout Elites?
Catalac 12Ms?
Solaris?

How many people out there with cats right now have "composite" cats and trust them not to get water between the laminates and fall apart? I'm very concerned about this issue this time around. I've seen too many decks and hulls with water between the laminates (causing delam) to feel comfortable buying anything with a core. Does that exclude most cats?

And how about those saildrives?? Seem scary, but it appears to be all I can afford. Wish more were around with outboards.
Old 07-02-2008, 14:22   #6
cruiser

Slomo: I got a call in on that Privilege 39 right now! ha ha ha. I am hunting hard today, since I'm down in FL.

There are a good number out there in my higher price range. I only disagree with Brad in that the supply is not outstripping demand right this moment because there are no buyers for boats. Everybody is hurting from real estate. The broker almost fell out of his chair when I called. ha ha
Old 07-02-2008, 15:00   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
So... I need some alternatives.
Maybe a a box of paperclips. No need to be cheap.
Old 07-02-2008, 15:16   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I hate to say it because I love cats, but you can find some pretty decent cruising monohulls in that price range. So you have to ride on your ears when the wind blows....anyone can get used to being in a room built like a guy with a level that is wrong by 25 degrees made it.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 07-02-2008, 15:20   #9

Yikes - The Privilege ad now says 'sale pending.' It didn't say that a few hours ago.
Old 07-02-2008, 15:59   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Maybe a a box of paperclips. No need to be cheap.

Maybe it's the fatigue, but this one is going right over my head. Wish I was with it enough to get the joke...
Old 07-02-2008, 16:32   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Anyone got a less desirable catamaran they want to unload for less than $35K cash? Sell me your catamaran!
No way Jose

Check your PM
Old 07-02-2008, 16:33   #12
cruiser

baffed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
You might even find a particularly baffed old Prout or Catalac (and even then, it will be a smaller one). But all of these boats are actually still pretty 'desireable' precisely because of the supply/demand curve, and because they were pretty decent at what they did.
baffed??? what's baffed?
Old 07-02-2008, 16:36   #13
cruiser

Quote:
I only disagree with Brad in that the supply is not outstripping demand right this moment because there are no buyers for boats. Everybody is hurting from real estate. The broker almost fell out of his chair when I called. ha ha
Last year at this time of the year there were 27 Catalacs for sale on Yachtworld. Right now there are only 13. I think Brad might be correct.

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about how these hulls are constructed on the following:

Newer Prout Elites?
Catalac 12Ms?
Solaris?.

Catalac 12Ms? Solid glass and Yanmars with (sheepishly edited) sail drives

Sean, a 33' boat might be a bit cozy for chartering.
Old 07-02-2008, 17:14   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post

Sean, a 33' boat might be a bit cozy for chartering.

It's a day charter. 6 pac. I was on a 34' today that seemed fine size-wise.
Old 07-02-2008, 18:11   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleships View Post
Hey, I have an Elite here in St Maartin that has just been reduced. It has a really big forward double cabin which is a great change from all the other nasty prouts I have seen. ( I owned one). Check it out at Anho - Delta 46 Sail Boat
Tony B
Hi Tony,

I did see this one. In *theory* it fits the bill. However, the location is difficult from a logistics standpoint and adds considerable cost to whatever the final price would be. I need to move it to Maine. But maybe...
Closed Thread