Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 07:00   #46
w42

Boat: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Sean, I have no doubt about your ability as a bussness man/salesman- if you get this thing rolling and run into anyone whos looking for a charter in the Eastern Med send them my way and I will give you a cut!
I am sure it will be as successful as the "B&B on the water" business.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by w42 View Post
I am sure it will be as successful as the "B&B on the water" business.
I actually hope not... I can't work 24/7 all summer long. A couple days off is needed for sanity a week. Hopefully we can have a few less people trying to book and can have a day or two off in between.

I closed that one due to some overnight psychos we had that made it not worth doing anymore. I had one violent drunk threaten to tie me up and pull me up with the halyard. Another crazy pulled my towl racks out of the wall in the master stateroom in a violent rage when they were informed they could not smoke aboare the vessel. This kind of stuff isn't fun with strangers in your home. Imagine it.

The same summer a female inkeeper at a B&B in Maine was murdered.

I was spooked to say the least.

Day chartering is much more simple. Any whackos or violent people will be dealt with by the harbor police quickly since they are out during the day. At night... you're kind of on your own with them.
Old 10-02-2008, 19:58   #48

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
I know we will downsize eventually from our current Prout 39. One model that I really like is the Prout 34. I almost bought one in AUS. I think it is the perfect size for local cruising and is offshore capable(which we dont need the boat for). It offers good sized aft cabins and can still fit in a normal 12m marina berth.
You might want to look around for this model, they are cheaper than the Snowgoose but a lot of boat.
Molds for the Prout 34 ended up in South Africa and was called Meerkat, does anyone know what happened to it or is anyone manufacturing them still?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtwin View Post
I know we will downsize eventually from our current Prout 39. One model that I really like is the Prout 34. I almost bought one in AUS. I think it is the perfect size for local cruising and is offshore capable(which we dont need the boat for). It offers good sized aft cabins and can still fit in a normal 12m marina berth.
You might want to look around for this model, they are cheaper than the Snowgoose but a lot of boat.
Molds for the Prout 34 ended up in South Africa and was called Meerkat, does anyone know what happened to it or is anyone manufacturing them still?
RedTwin: By Prout 34, do you mean the Prout 34 "Event?"
Old 11-02-2008, 02:23   #50

Sorry, yes I meant the Prout Event, later called Prout 34. Not to be mistaken with the 1st Snowgoose model called the Snowgoose 34.

Brochure of the "Event" can be viewed here:

Prout Original Catalogues

BTW the "Snowgoose 34" have sold for very attractive price, might be well within your initial budget And they have very nice lines as well.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:29   #51

An example of a "Snowgoose 34"

Used Snowgoose 34 catamaran for sale - Los Escapados
Old 11-02-2008, 02:43   #52

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I'm looking at the Event 34's too. Interesting how busy the day chartering can be.
I've had a good look at a couple now. I do know they are one of the soundest boats going in terms of ageing, holding their price, sailing and safety. You'll appreciate the drive leg system as well for manouvrebility and making docking safe and easy.
Biggest problem is making people stay on the boat until you say 'Now we've stopped!'
Hoping to sell the house soon and go buy mine in the UK.
Event has rear bunks extended inwards and different hull rears and higher, brighter interior. Old 37 gooses have very clean lines, no wake and sail faster than Event34's.
Depends how many are sleeping aboard, all the bunks are one and half persons.
How are things going so far?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:54   #53
cruiser

I have to admit... I do like the older Prouts as well. For extended cruising. Problem?

They may not charter as well as the boat I'm working on closing (to be revealed when it closes). The interior is usually a bit rough on the eyes. This is OK for my wife and I, but there is a little level of perfection you need to make sure the guests aren't unhappy.

In my opinion, I need something inexpensive, but that still passes the "that's a nice looking boat" factor from guests that normally don't know boats well.

After chartering is over, if I am unhappy with the new boat we are looking at for serious cruising, I'll sell her and switch to an old, cheap Prout, since looks won't count.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:03   #54

Sully,

Good to hear you'll be on the water again. Where are you intending to homeport?

I want a free sail!

Jef
Old 11-02-2008, 08:41   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Sully,

Good to hear you'll be on the water again. Where are you intending to homeport?

I want a free sail!

Jef
I'll be in New England, Jef. Way up North. Maybe you can get your free sail this summer?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:55   #56

I think the Prouts have very nice and timeless lines. It has taken a while for me to grasp the look of the French cats. I notice Lagoon have introduced the nacelle in their 420 and other models, obviously calling it something else.
Lets face it, for cruising we want maximum space inside and out. Prouts offer this. Bridgedeck upto the bows cause slamming for which the nacelle is used, and I found adding the boulbous bows eliminated the slamming totally.

Inside, the saloon is carried way forward giving much bigger area. Full size navstation and galley.

Prout Rig: for safety, nothing compares. Try reefing the main on a 42ft FP with large main while running off wind, no problem with the Prouts...just take some turns in off the genoa(main driver) And all from the safety of the cockpit.

oops...not having a dig but yes I am a Prout fan!!
Old 11-02-2008, 17:20   #57

Good luck on your purchase and subsequent venture.
Closed Thread