Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2017, 07:46   #136

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

No tramps, with a solid forward and all those cushions is nice too
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:39   #137

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
We did like that also.

It's to bad that Catana / Bali did not carry the Open / Close cockpit over to the Bali 4.5 as that may have made the sale for us.

The Bali 4.5 has everything on one level from Sugar scoops to Saloon, which is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bali-4.5-1-.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	140166  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 10:15   #138

Boat: Hanse 348

Don't want to take this OT as it is about 42 v 40...

Saw the Bali at the show as well. Great concept except when I went to the helm station was very uncomfortable up there. Poor visibility, seems difficult to get to the boom/sail. Would have worked better as center fly bridge. OTH, inside "cockpit" concept was fantastic, very open and airy. Just my opinion.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:10   #139
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Yes, on the anchor though and in a quite bay..
I wouldn't venture anywhere offshore with this boat.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:22   #140
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Catana / Bali 4.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
1) The opening / closing cockpit is a splendid design.
Its a good idea, picked up from another designer, but poorly (read heavily) executed

Quote:
2) Huge Saloon window that slides down to open and let air blow through the boat.
Its a good idea, picked up from another designer, but poorly (read heavily) executed

Quote:
3) Hinged rear platform is a brilliant idea.

Quote:
4) Forward cockpit is a Leopard Cat concept, but seems to fit this cat well also.
Nope, other designers doing a forward cockpit (and an actual cockpit not just a lounge area) long long long time before Leopard.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:25   #141
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
They simply are different boats. Nauthitech always put the priority on performance,
Then they failed to execute based on my experience racing against a couple.
Old 26-01-2017, 13:05   #142
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Then they failed to execute based on my experience racing against a couple.
Nauthitec's are faster than any FP or Lagoon of similar size. Slower than Catana and Outremer. These are generally accepted facts. You may of course have different opinion..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 26-01-2017, 13:17   #143
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yes, on the anchor though and in a quite bay..
I wouldn't venture anywhere offshore with this boat.

Cheers

Yeloya
I certainly agree with you on that
Old 26-01-2017, 15:38   #144

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Nauthitec's are faster than any FP or Lagoon of similar size. Slower than Catana and Outremer. These are generally accepted facts. You may of course have different opinion..

Cheers

Yeloya
But just your subjective opinion actually, please show the facts behind your statements as nothing I have ever witnessed supports your view
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 21:10   #145

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
But just your subjective opinion actually, please show the facts behind your statements as nothing I have ever witnessed supports your view
Well ill second that "subjective opinion". Of the production french cats its generally in order of sailing performance
1. outremer
2. catana
3. Nautis
4. FP
5. Lagoon

its not really subjective though as its down to the maths of the designs ie SA/D, length/beam, drag coefficients etc etc

Andrew if nothing you have ever witnessed supports this then please show your facts....
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 00:00   #146
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Well ill second that "subjective opinion". Of the production french cats its generally in order of sailing performance
1. outremer
2. catana
3. Nautis
4. FP
5. Lagoon

its not really subjective though as its down to the maths of the designs ie SA/D, length/beam, drag coefficients etc etc

Andrew if nothing you have ever witnessed supports this then please show your facts....
100 % agree with this ranking of performance and comments..
I've sailed all of these boats with the exception of Nautitech but we had few of them on our yard. They are lighter, hulls are slimmer for a given length. I talked with the owners and I happen to sail close by when I was on other boats; they are fast.. period.
If anybody has a "fact" to prove otherwise , pls share with us.

I should also add that noy every Lagoon and FP's are the same. Generally, older models are faster.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 27-01-2017, 01:41   #147
Marine Service Provider

The Nautitech Open 40s were slower than the similar size FP at Hammo Race week, consistently
Old 27-01-2017, 02:13   #148
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Factor, I've checked their web site by curiosity, unfortunately boat makes and models are not mentioned on the result tables. What's the similar size of FP ? Lucia, Athena or Lipari ?

We used to race between friends on 30-35 nm of distances for a bottle of wine at the destination, just for fun. I was occasionallly faster than Outremer with my Orana , in certain point of time, to a certain degrees to the wind and in certain state of sea. That's like "being a market leader on the east of Missisipi on monday morning"..
To me, this would not mean that Orana is faster than Outremer..

But if you still believe that FP's are faster, let it be so..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 27-01-2017, 02:39   #149
Marine Service Provider

in fact they were slower than almost everybody, very unimpressive performance.
Old 28-01-2017, 16:47   #150

Boat: Aloha 34

I'm currently at the Seattle boat show, and just back from having a look at the cats they have here.

1. Nautitech Open 40
2. Lucia 40
3. Lagoon 42
4. Fusion 40
5 Seawind 1160 Lite

So far, I have been super impressed by the Seawind and the FP Lucia 40. That said, the boat we were most impressed with over all was the Lucia 40... by far. FP have done a GREAT job of maximizing the space available. There is a good amount of storage, the boat was well laid out, and people could move about it quite easily. The shower in the owners hull was the largest by far of the boats we saw, I loved the separate compartment for the head, and the lockers were all generously sized, with a huge locker forward of the shower. The birth was walk around, and it was light and airy with what looked to be good ventilation. I liked the guest accommodations as well, with the 2 births, one head lay out. A separate shower in the guest head was nice to see. Again, adequate storage was found there as well. The salon was comfortable and functional. The galley was a standard L shape, with 2 fridges and one freezer. The helm gave a good view, except to aft port, where one would have to bend down and look under the bimini. There is plenty of room for two to sit and lounge at the helm. It was very comfortable, and all lines came back to the helm, with 3 winches doing the work. Forward was a HUGE locker which held the windlass and water tanks to one side, and a cavernous storage to the other. Two forward hatch access storage lockers for ropes and sails as well. Rear engine compartments were generously sized, and neat and tidy. The outside sitting area was comfortable, and I particularly liked the "chaise" lounge seat.

What I was skeptical about were the davits, and the hard bimini. There was a good deal of flex in both. The sales guy, John from Signature Yachts said that the backing plates on the davits had not yet been installed (something I thought the factory would do), and that the flex in the bimini overhang was normal. He said, and I quote... "That which doesn't flex breaks"... I decided right then that I would never buying a boat from him. There were also signs of rust staining from some of the outside fixtures. That was not particularly impressive, and led me to wonder about the quality of hardware used.

Aside from the Lucia, I loved the build quality and intelligent design of the Seawind, but did find storage lacking. I think that was my only gripe about the Seawind. Aside from storage, I really liked the 1160 (I knew I would), and wondered what the 1260 might offer in terms of more space and storage ovet the 1160. The Lagoon 42 was much bigger than the other boats, and felt like it. The sugar scoops have been replaced by sugar decks. Big and wide, just like the rest of the boat. I felt as though there should have been more storage, as many of the lockers were surprisingly shallow. I didn't really like the galley layout, but the salon was comfortable. Sight lines from the helm were fine, so long as you don't mind not seeing the starboard hull. My wife loved the Lagoon. She was impressed with the space and light of the boat. However, she was equally impressed with the Lucia, and was more so knowing the boat was so much smaller. I don't think we need the space found on the lagoon, and if we did want that much volume, we would probably look at the Helia, as I think the hulls probably offer comparable room, but that the salon would be somewhat bigger. The Nautitech was well built, and lovely, but just not enough storage, and a little too cramped for a long term cruiser. I like the idea of outboard helms, but I don't like not being able to see over the bimini/salon roof, and the view through the salon windows was too obscured for me. I felt somewhat submerged at the helm, with good sight lines forward to one side only. The Fusion was a 2008, and although the MHC sails guy claimed pedigree in the builder, I wondered. The boat looked like it had been rode hard, and put away wet. The windows were delaminating and clouding up. I saw spider cracks in the gel coat in several places, corrosion on much of the hardware, cracking in the corian counter top in the kitchen, etc... Then again, what doesn't flex breaks, right John from Signature Yachts? Oh yes, The Multihull Company was asking $399US for the Fusion, which I scratched my head at. I figure it's probably at least $100,000 too much.

Anyway, this was our first boat show looking at Cats, and it was great! We came to see the Lucia, L42, and the 1160. We were not disappointed, and I was delighted that my wife didn't gravitate towards the larger boat just because it was larger. We both really liked the Lucia, and could see cruising on it quite easily. I do question build quality and some obvious cost cutting however, and still wonder about the quality of the SS fittings. The interior finishing was better than the Lagoon, but I have to say... why square edges? Is it fashion? Seems to me that square corners is just plain dumb on a boat.

Does anyone know the if there is a ce rating on the Lucia?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon