Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2016, 08:34   #121

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

A FP Lucia 40 is a far more refined and prettier sail boat than a Nautitech open 40.

The Nautitech open 40 looks like a very boxy boat. Tons of square corners and edges.

All the sailing wife's are looking for island beds that you can actually make. Beds with walls on 3 sides will put you in divorce court in short order.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 09:53   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
just as any other test I have seen so far ... so what exactly are you trying to say?
coz brainmaker says that the nauticat 40 its very fast.and he post that video.
and i think alot of people think they can sail that boat also that fast.
and thats a illusion.

sorry my english....hope u understand what i mean
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 03:00   #123

Boat: Myra 21 - 1973 - MD2B

I recently read that book as well, the author's honesty is admirable.
I still wonder why they just didn't end their journey in the Caribbean: they experienced the whole trip was one big agony and ordeal; he was stressed and terrified all of the time.
Why did they continue, when they didn't enjoy it at all...'
My only guess it was some 'bucket list' thing for the guy: very sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
There is a german book "Mal sehen wie wet wir kommen".
Tells the story of a family of 3 that set out for an extended summer cruise in a Etap 21 from Germany to the Med.

Several years later they finished their circumnavigation.
All this in a small & slow 21ft monohull intended for sheltered water, that offered standing headrom only for the 3year old boy at the beginning of the trip.

Anything is possible. But honestly, after reading it I thought: Thats is exactly how not to do it.

Of course its also because the author is whining all the time, but it seems this travel was mostly hardship and not much fun.
Vronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 18:43   #124

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
A FP Lucia 40 is a far more refined and prettier sail boat than a Nautitech open 40.

The Nautitech open 40 looks like a very boxy boat. Tons of square corners and edges.

All the sailing wife's are looking for island beds that you can actually make. Beds with walls on 3 sides will put you in divorce court in short order.
Better to say " buying a boat will put you in a divorce court in short order"
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 19:56   #125

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Man, I hope not Andrew
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 04:44   #126

Hey all,

Thanks for such a great thread. I've been looking at the FP40 since she was announced and I saw her in Cannes. Lovely boat. Perhaps small for some, but I like the size. I think if I do get sailing, I'll be doing much of it myself. As for living aboard, I think people will make do with what they have, but some truths seem self-evident (like that you'll motor more than you thought, spend more time at anchor than you do sailing, etc.). I never much liked Lagoons as they always seemed a bit heavy and slow, and I didn't like the looks of them. The newer models have a better look, but I can't shake the feeling they'd sail slow and be big and heavy. I also feel that with the right sails, having a boat that can sail in light air would be important. I sailed three weeks in the med on a Broadblue 385 and spent more time motoring than I would have preferred. However, that may be just the nature of sailing because we had an itinerary and wanted to get where we were going. Sailed another time in the BVI's with no itinerary, literally going where the wind blows and enjoyed that a lot more. As for size, it does appear the FP40 might be a tad small for a very long cruise, but it's hard to say. Seems the general consensus around here is that the 45ft. neighborhood is the way to go for live-aboard cruising. As for comfort, I really like the boats that have a seperate shower from the head with enclosed doors. My wife hates the combined head/shower concept, and I generally agree. All told, I really like the FP40. I just think it's a gorgeous boat and looks easy and fun to sail.My 2 cents. As for sailing in general, if anyone who has one (or any other boat for that matter) and wants an extra crew member, just send me a PM. I can tell a good story, tie a knot, haul a line, and blend a really good drink.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 04:50   #127

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Not with my wife.

She is a bit different than most wife's as she is the one that bought our first boat without me knowing it. I was away on a business trip. When I came home she said she just purchased a Catalina 30. WTH were you thinking I said, We do not even know how to sail.....

So, I would have been in divorce court if we did not buy a boat......
Old 26-01-2017, 05:09   #128

Community Sponsor

Not sure how many New Lagoon 42 are sold, but the FP Lucia 40 is sold out for 2017.

Next FP Lucia 40 available is in Feb 2018
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FP Availability 1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	140156  
Old 26-01-2017, 06:18   #129

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post

Since the Lagoon 42 is just a copy of the Helia 44. Why not get the larger boat at a better price.
A copy???

Not even designed by the same NA and different on so many basic aspects, beginning with length but most of all withe weight and beam, having the smaller boat a bigger beam (7.4 to 7.7m) and a considerably bigger weight (10800kg to 12000kg), being therefore the boat with a bigger stability, even if smaller.

Not even the hulls have the same design, having the ones of the Lagoon the beam more pulled aft (more modern) and having also more modern bows that increase the bow floatability helping to preventing pitchpolling.

If you look also to the over the water platform between the hulls you will see that they are completely different, being the ones of the Lagoon completely rounded to diminish slapping and have a central kind of "keel" to increase directional dynamic stability in bad seas conditions and big waves:

One can like more one to another baut a Copy?????? or are you talking only about the interior?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 06:37   #130

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Director G View Post
Hey all,

Thanks for such a great thread. I've been looking at the FP40 since she was announced and I saw her in Cannes. Lovely boat. Perhaps small for some, but I like the size. I think if I do get sailing, I'll be doing much of it myself. As for living aboard, I think people will make do with what they have, but some truths seem self-evident (like that you'll motor more than you thought, spend more time at anchor than you do sailing, etc.). I never much liked Lagoons as they always seemed a bit heavy and slow, and I didn't like the looks of them. The newer models have a better look, but I can't shake the feeling they'd sail slow and be big and heavy. I also feel that with the right sails, having a boat that can sail in light air would be important. I sailed three weeks in the med on a Broadblue 385 and spent more time motoring than I would have preferred. However, that may be just the nature of sailing because we had an itinerary and wanted to get where we were going. Sailed another time in the BVI's with no itinerary, literally going where the wind blows and enjoyed that a lot more. As for size, it does appear the FP40 might be a tad small for a very long cruise, but it's hard to say. Seems the general consensus around here is that the 45ft. neighborhood is the way to go for live-aboard cruising. As for comfort, I really like the boats that have a seperate shower from the head with enclosed doors. My wife hates the combined head/shower concept, and I generally agree. All told, I really like the FP40. I just think it's a gorgeous boat and looks easy and fun to sail.My 2 cents. As for sailing in general, if anyone who has one (or any other boat for that matter) and wants an extra crew member, just send me a PM. I can tell a good story, tie a knot, haul a line, and blend a really good drink.
Lagoon vs FP is individual preference, but I don't think you will find a MAJOR difference in the way they sail. Specifically, neither will do 'great' in light air , and you will be motoring if you want to get somewhere on time. Neither are 'performance cats'. I have a 380, but looked seriously at the Mahe and then the 40, but that was out of my budget. Sailing on all of them. None will point like even a production Bene/Hunter/Catalina mono, though some of the performance cats will do so.

Lot of FP 44 and Lagoon 450s that people have done extensive cruising on.

Cote: in the fall there was a 14 month lead time on Lagoon 42s. I think they were working to get that back down, I might have heard wrong but I think they were taking orders on boat 280. Crazy successful if that is the case. I will be meeting with Lagoon in Miami next month.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 06:49   #131

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
A copy???
All is good if you do not mind paying more for a 42 than a 44 footer.

Personally I would take either one. They are both beautiful Cats.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:55   #132

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Cotemar: in the fall there was a 14 month lead time on Lagoon 42s. I think they were working to get that back down, I might have heard wrong but I think they were taking orders on boat 280. Crazy successful if that is the case. I will be meeting with Lagoon in Miami next month.
Glad you posted this.

I new that they had great showings at all of the big boat shows and the New Lagoon 42 layout is awesome, so Lagoon will do very well with this new 42 foot cat.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:00   #133
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:

They simply are different boats. Nauthitech always put the priority on performance, Lagoon on space and FP on compromise in between. FP used to be more on performance side but are geared nowadays towards more comfort/space. Mr. Fountaine has always been against flybridge of any kind and they were at the edge of bancrupty just before they've launched very succesful Helia. Earlier models such as Belize, Bahia, were much faster than Orana, Hélia but didn't bring enough cash. The inreasing sales number of FP proves that they are on the right track commercially, whether we like or not.
Nauthitech was producing only 1/10 of FP and was squeezed between Catana in performance and other two bigs, FP and Lagoon on comfort side. They make very good, fast and seaworthy boats but the design inside has always been problematic. Last year we had one Nauthitech 482 (48 ft) and volumewise was significantly less than a Helia 44 ft. And pricewise, they are almost at Catana range but not quite on that level of performance..We'll see now how much synergy will bring their merger with Bavaria.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 07:40   #134

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

Quote:
Not with my wife.

She is a bit different than most wife's as she is the one that bought our first boat without me knowing it. I was away on a business trip. When I came home she said she just purchased a Catalina 30. WTH were you thinking I said, We do not even know how to sail.....

So, I would have been in divorce court if we did not buy a boat......
Sounds like a keeper bud !
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 07:41   #135

Community Sponsor

Catana / Bali 4.3

A New Catamaran that REALLY had a lot of design elements that we really liked is the Catana / Bali 4.3.

At 41 feet it was a bit small for our needs, but it had a few STANDOUT design elements that are noteworthy.

1) The opening / closing cockpit is a splendid design.

2) Huge Saloon window that slides down to open and let air blow through the boat.

3) Hinged rear platform is a brilliant idea.

4) Forward cockpit is a Leopard Cat concept, but seems to fit this cat well also.

Con: The step down Saloon just made it a no/go for us as we really like everything on 1 level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bali 43_1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	140159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bali 43_2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	140160  

Name:	Bali 43_3.jpg