Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 16:40   #16

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: My Multihull sail brothers please stop being so Defensive

And today I got knocked down about 4 times before I could reef my tiny jib. Thank you mr micro bursts.
Old 06-10-2019, 16:41   #17

Ou
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I must agree that the cat owners are very easy to freak out when their choice for multi hull is endangered by other thoughts. I guess some need the ever-repeating drone of non-flipping, non-sinking in their heads to feel okay with their choice, while monohullers just accept that they will sink when they scr&w it up so don’t get much excited when confronted with that possibility by other posters
The reality is cat owners get pissed off by the constant posting of ignorant drivel in the multihull forum, by posters who have never owned, sailed, or even been on a multihull.

I think most of us are quite happy with our choice. Happy enough that we don't feel the need to constantly deride other people's choice. Unlike some.

And of course if any of us ever wanted to take the step back into a mono, it would be very easy financially. Given that demand (and prices)for cat's are so high, and for mono's so low, many are being given away.

I think we too generally accept that if we stuff up badly enough it will hurt.

I'd even go so far as to accept monohulls are probably more idiot proof. So for some, they're likely a better choice.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 16:44   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ou

The reality is cat owners get pissed off by the constant posting of ignorant drivel in the multihull forum, by posters who have never owned, sailed, or even been on a multihull.

I think most of us are quite happy with our choice. Happy enough that we don't feel the need to constantly deride other people's choice. Unlike some.

And of course if any of us ever wanted to take the step back into a mono, it would be very easy financially. Given that demand (and prices)for cat's are so high, and for mono's so low, many are being given away.

I think we too generally accept that if we stuff up badly enough it will hurt.

I'd even go so far as to accept monohulls are probably more idiot proof. So for some, they're likely a better choice.

Thanks 44, you’ve summed up about 28 years of my frustrations in a few paragraphs. And as you, we also sailed monohulls before multis.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 16:57   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

SMJ, I could have written just what you said. +1.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 17:00   #20

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Hey. I feel left out. I have an old school lead mine and no one in this thread has insulted those yet.
Oh my. Every boat is a trade off and every boat has risks. And we all pick different points on the trade off spectrum. Might as well fight about power vs sail or about Mars or Venus.
Makes no sense.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 17:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Hey. I feel left out. I have an old school lead mine and no one in this thread has insulted those yet.
No, because generally it doesn't happen.

John McEnroe
Old 06-10-2019, 17:08   #22

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
As an owner of one of these sorts of boats, it's my first choice in that once in a lifetime storm. Bare poles, boards and rudders up out of the water. Get in your bunk and wait it out. Not much more survivability than that.

However, getting capsized by a gust is an issue that needs looking into.
If I had to pick a vessel to handle a big storm in it would be as you say, a cat with dagger boards ,nothing to trip over, I remember Wharram talking about this years ago and it has stuck in my mind, slide ,dont trip.

What surprises me is a number of multis have gone away from this. I stood next to a new 45 Leapord on the hard at Trinidad a couple of days ago, the draft was just under 6 foot, I feel the mini keels give you the something to trip over rather than slide. It certainly was not shallow draft.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 17:09   #23

Boat: currently boatless

Gday Nevillecat,
Any boat can capsize regardless of what it is, power, sail, commercial etc. It does not take a lot to search the web to find examples. We are on our second cat. We have test sailed in 30 to 35 knots no issue. We have been caught out in a micro burst in 40 to 45 knots, once again no issue. We were set up correctly on each occasion.
I know a lot of multi owners, with the majority have different boats to ours, In the last ten years of boating there is not one of anyone coming even close to capsizing. We sail the east coast of Austalia as do our friends and in the tens of thousands of sea miles covered, not one incident.
We tend to label boats perormance or cruising. Why - The vast majority of sailers I know who own so called performance cats dont race and only coastal cruise. Cruiser 44 is ther only cat owner I know who uses his performance cat as per the design and he does it well while cruising full time. I have met a lot of so called performance cat owners who just dont use the boat for its specified purpose.
The last cat which I heard capsize occured in home waters. It has been confirmed that it was a "performance" catamaran. While there were survivors unfortunatley several people perished. From early reports it appears the boat became overpowered in the conditions but this is purely speculation and will go before coroners court where the facts will come out.
The cat before this I actually know the owners father. The boat was a 50 ft performance cat. By the owners own words he was well over canvassed for the conditions and design of the boat. Not the boats fault but operator error.
In short I beleive the vast majority of modern day cats are inherently safe with little to no chance of capsizing IF they are sailed to the boats capabilities and design.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 17:48   #24

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Well done Mr C , you have just earn't yourself #2 position on my ignore list.
Well that was an odd response to his post considering he's right.

Do you two have a history of problems?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 17:50   #25

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
And in the same post, he says: "Many boats, like my catamaran,", so it appears he has at least two boats.

How many do you have?
2 boats and a dinghy, sir. And an RV.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 19:19   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
If I had to pick a vessel to handle a big storm in it would be as you say, a cat with dagger boards ,nothing to trip over, I remember Wharram talking about this years ago and it has stuck in my mind, slide ,dont trip.

What surprises me is a number of multis have gone away from this. I stood next to a new 45 Leapord on the hard at Trinidad a couple of days ago, the draft was just under 6 foot, I feel the mini keels give you the something to trip over rather than slide. It certainly was not shallow draft.
Exactly, which is why I agreed with the “lift boards and rudders” comment even though most here did not read it that way. The skid factor is big and for mono’s, instead of having less poking out underwater, you want high freeboard and high superstructure in the same plane as the hull broadside to create the same skidability.

I would still prefer sailing downwind under bare poles with some drag at the stern from a Jordan drogue
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 19:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Well that was an odd response to his post considering he's right.

Do you two have a history of problems?
Seaslug has never reacted well to factual posts. He seems to have plenty of problems. He might be a happier person if he owned a boat.

John McEnroe
Old 06-10-2019, 20:06   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
[...]
Good Lord, I was already a bit disappointed with just a sideways snarky but funny remark instead of a full battle mode reply but look here there’s the real stuff like I knew you could produce

I think I can actually find some to agree with here, like the harsh truth in the last paragraph that I included in my quote above. That must be it, idiots must buy a monohull because a multi is too complex for them

But that first part, not correct at all mate first is that my comments, even though sometimes camouflaged with some tongue in cheek parts, always have expert knowledge at the base. Remember, I reached expert level even before I started cruising Jedi 17 years ago

I must admit that I never owned a multihull, but my rigging is like one and don’t forget that the Sundeers have the catamaran spirit inside them (check Steve Dashew history to learn how so).

Then we getto my second disagreement: I have sailed plenty cats, been aboard many more and some of our best friends own cats or tris. Here’s a link to one friend, Henk de Velde, who is actually a famous expert multihull sailor about flipping them and about recommending no-flip devices just like I always do. This clearly shows that such comments from me are in line with consensus among other experts and better to be taken seriously, before you find yourself flipped over. Which, down under, would be right side up but I won’t go there again because I got almost kicked last time I tried to explain that
Anyway, here’s the link: https://www.henkdevelde.com/go/index...izing-english/
Old 06-10-2019, 20:14   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Seaslug has never reacted well to factual posts. He seems to have plenty of problems. He might be a happier person if he owned a boat.
He owns two. Plus a dinghy. And an RV
Old 06-10-2019, 20:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
He owns two. Plus a dinghy. And an RV
No, that's Chotu. It's not complicated.

John McEnroe

Tags
hull, lease, multihull, rot, sail