Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2018, 16:25   #61

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m
Re: My boat and what I like about it

We love our (shared) Seawind 1160.
The feeling of being outside in the lounge room from those wonderful trifold doors.
The feeling of stability and security for my small kids. They can’t wait.
Ease of sailing. I’m quite happy to get things going on my own if no one else feels like getting out of bed. Well set up.
Dislikes
Could be a bit quicker in the light stuff and upwind, but being a first cat, that’s ok. ( Could be the nut behind the wheel. next one will be quicker &#128527
Fridge freezer and electrics seem to draw a lot. We’ve just gone lithium so see how that goes.
All told, I’m a huge cat convert.
Jeez. Running downhill in 25 kn with your coffee on the table 😂
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 16:54   #62

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Grainger 38 Tri,
I Like : Fast.
Western Red Cedar Construction - strong and stiff
Good internal volume and design
Reliable engine
Looks good.
Dislike - Hydraulic steering - light but not very responsive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1534067554137.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	178022  
ghendoaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 19:09   #63

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskip View Post
We love our (shared) Seawind 1160.
Dislikes
Could be a bit quicker in the light stuff and upwind, but being a first cat, that’s ok. ( Could be the nut behind the wheel. next one will be quicker &#128527
Fridge freezer and electrics seem to draw a lot. We’ve just gone lithium so see how that goes.
Seaskip, we queried several owners on overnight amp-hr draw trying to determine what size house bank to specify. We got feedback of 60 to up to 100 amp-hr usage overnight, and most attributed to the refrigeration. The upright fridge is probably the biggest culprit, effectively dumping the cold whenever the door is open. Isotherm also recognized this "Classic" model inefficiency, and last year dropped it for the Elegance line, which has a thicker door with more insulation, and a better freezer section. You can also get a controller optional that drops the temp - and essentially uses contents as heat sink - when excess power is available in the system, but then returns to regular temp other times. We special ordered the Elegance line, and if need be, we can add the energy-saving controller later.

The in-counter freezer on our boat will have the same unit as the Seawind 1260 - which is a Dometic single-door unit they've been especially happy with. Other 1160's will have the same unit. Supposedly more energy efficient, but also can set the controller to be a deep fridge, or a freezer.

We considered Lithium, but buying Mastervolt - the Seawind supplier - was very expensive. Good integrated equipment, but maybe in the future.

Feedback was also the boat really needed the genoa in light air. We didn't option that out, as in our home waters we typically have 12-18 knots. Light wind not usually an issue.

We did a lot of research, and queried people on Seawind Club, when trying to decide how to outfit. Time will tell whether we decide we should have gotten some other option. The only one that might bite us is we didn't option the second head. But considering it is only my wife and I onboard on overnighters 90%+ of the time, I think we can do with one. Which leaves the entire starboard bow compartment to do anything I want with it!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 19:32   #64

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

This is our previous boat, a Seawind 1000 named Jumanji, which is now owned by Unwritten - who is also on Cruiser's Forum. We had the boat for twelve years - daysailed, raced, and in 2015 even took it from Texas to Bahamas and back (four months, as far south as Georgetown). The boat was comfortable, and small enough to singlehand (although I never technically did that, unless you count my sleeping or reading wife as not being onboard!) Had great systems all covered by solar or propane, and never needed a generator. Dual outboard engines that I could work on myself. And foremost, the boat sailed well.

This was expected to be my forever boat, and we did replacements on engines, electronics, mast wiring in 2012-14 in prep for cruising. That trip in 2015 went so well that my wife decided long cruises to Bahamas every other year, and Florida in the other years should be on the agenda, and that we'd have more room for friends and family with a bigger boat. My requirements were bigger but not so big that it would be a deterrent to use, it still had to sail well, and had to be faster than the 33 ft Seawind. (Make island hops faster.) We think the Seawind 1160 Lite fit the bill, and everything fell in place when George and his family purchased Jumanji to start their Unwritten adventure. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0464 (2).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	178029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7370.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	178030  

Name:	IMG_7793.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	178031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft 2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	178032  

sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 19:38   #65

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
It is the original design by Gerard Danson not the newest model

We love our Danson designed O55 for her sailing performance, lovely sheer lines (and not to miss, the super strong and beefy outboard alloy rub rails), simple interior, lots of space and capacity for our toys - she’s our happy place. The self-tacking jib is mostly a painless joy, though due to its straight track it does need some help to come across all the way.

Dislikes are the fragile tripod screecher prod (going to change it for a single pole that swings up or to the side when not needed), the soft bimini that leaks and doesn’t protect the cockpit very well (and the multiple boat buck quotes we’ve had to build and install a hard bimini, sigh) and the no-feedback hydraulic steering (only a couple of boat bucks to install our spare cylinder on a separate circuit to a pair of tillers - Santa said yes!!). No structural walkway from main beam to front beam so no easy way to mount a staysail/storm jib, but we’ve figured out a way to use whisker stays to support the bottom of an inner forestay so that will work. And our engine charging is not very good, but that could be any boat I suppose.

No issues with our daggerboards - just lift them clear of the water. We’ve also installed 3mm UHWMPE strips at the front and back sides of the cases from deck level to just below the top of the fully lowered board. Much smoother travel and less room for rattling.

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	178033
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 20:02   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghendoaus View Post
Grainger 38 Tri,

Reliable engine

Looks good.

I like it. I like it a lot!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 02:26   #67

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I like it. I like it a lot!
Agree. Great boat
Old 27-09-2018, 04:25   #68

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I have never see one , I see what you mean bout the wing seats . Going to the darkside means many different things on this forum . How long does it take to get it reay to trailer?
"Darkside" was tongue in cheek. Bad Osteoarthritis and thumb joint surgery have made sailing her tricky. Moving to a slower boat with elec winches will be the only way we can stay on the water, but as long as the Admiral wants to sail, I'm there!

As for the change, I've done several bareboat charters in the BVI and know what's in store, but as we head toward retirement I'm looking forward to slowing things down a bit. When things get hairy on the 36 it gets interesting!

I will definitely miss those moments of 15-18 knots, until I remember the look on my wife's face! :-)
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 04:27   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghendoaus View Post
Grainger 38 Tri,
Reliable engine
Looks good.
Very pretty! Another designer I really admire!
Old 27-09-2018, 04:29   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
This is our previous boat, a Seawind 1000 named Jumanji, which is now owned by Unwritten - who is also on Cruiser's Forum. We had the boat for twelve years - daysailed, raced, and in 2015 even took it from Texas to Bahamas and back (four months, as far south as Georgetown). The boat was comfortable, and small enough to singlehand (although I never technically did that, unless you count my sleeping or reading wife as not being onboard!) Had great systems all covered by solar or propane, and never needed a generator. Dual outboard engines that I could work on myself. And foremost, the boat sailed well.

This was expected to be my forever boat, and we did replacements on engines, electronics, mast wiring in 2012-14 in prep for cruising. That trip in 2015 went so well that my wife decided long cruises to Bahamas every other year, and Florida in the other years should be on the agenda, and that we'd have more room for friends and family with a bigger boat. My requirements were bigger but not so big that it would be a deterrent to use, it still had to sail well, and had to be faster than the 33 ft Seawind. (Make island hops faster.) We think the Seawind 1160 Lite fit the bill, and everything fell in place when George and his family purchased Jumanji to start their Unwritten adventure. Time will tell.
I've followed your posts on the Seawind for some time. I remember many, many years ago when I was the first one in Annapolis - loved it! We'd seriously look at the 1260 but my wife HATES the galley down, and will not budge. And I want to sail, so I'm with her
Old 27-09-2018, 04:34   #71

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

Hey Sailjumanji. Thanks so much for the fridge tips. I’ll check it out.
Love your new 1160. I’m hoping you’ll post news of your adventures. Strangely, the 1000 is high on my list of possible boats for buying on our own, one day. Is the dining lounge area comfortable in a fair range of conditions?
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 04:37   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GB View Post
I came close to put this at the top of my list. Nice looking boat
Hurry up and trade me before the buyers make the wire transfer! ;-)

Seriously, she's a lovely boat, but lacks the kind of space we want in our 50/60s. V berth, full head/shower, galley and queen berth aft, but it's not a boat for pure leisure at the age of 65!

Trailering is not as easy as it was on my F31. After hull #1 they fixed some issues they had and removed the option of providing a mast raising device - too dangerous. It's a monster and must be done with crane or jib boom, etc... The entire process from water to towing takes a day for 2 people unless you have lots of hands. I've never done it.
Old 27-09-2018, 04:45   #73

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I've followed your posts on the Seawind for some time. I remember many, many years ago when I was the first one in Annapolis - loved it! We'd seriously look at the 1260 but my wife HATES the galley down, and will not budge. And I want to sail, so I'm with her
I don't know how much customization you can get, but if they open the backrest and removed the cabinet from the inboard side of the galley, you'd have a straight view into the salon from eye height. With the big hull window, I think it's a very nice place to cook a meal.

Matt
Old 27-09-2018, 05:20   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I don't know how much customization you can get, but if they open the backrest and removed the cabinet from the inboard side of the galley, you'd have a straight view into the salon from eye height. With the big hull window, I think it's a very nice place to cook a meal.

Matt
Not sure; I've asked Seawind a couple of times about offering a galley up option but that's a no-go. For the Admiral, she doesn't like to be "down," which makes her nauseous, so the galley needs to be on the same plane as the salon.
Old 27-09-2018, 05:35   #75

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
This was the hot water heater on the Seawind 1000. You can partially see the insulation around the flue stack, that exited to the upper left in the pic. Second pic shows the compartment closed, in the back of the head.
Was the locker vented

Tags
boat