Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 06:19   #91

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: My boat and what I like about it

Presto_SDR2017_1024.jpg
(Can't quite figure out adding pics)

Sue and I sail a Chris White Voyager 48, one of two 48s and one 45 built, all by different yards. When we retired from fishing, we had some pretty specific notions about what we wanted in our next boat. Here's what we found:

We the like shaft drive, straight seats at the dinette, galley down, low windage, two desks, and sufficient room for Sue's upright bass. We think it looks pretty good too. We like the construction from strip-planked cedar/carbon fiber/epoxy. We like the light weight and work diligently at keeping the weight off. Loaded for the trip to the Caribbean, we're just over designed displacement of 18,500lbs half load. Having spent a lot of time dealing with inclement weather in Alaska, we like the protected helm position.

We like the cabin. There's plenty of room inside, the wood trim (honeycomb or foam core) adds a nice warm touch. There is sufficient visibility while shielding us from the sun and feeling snug when it's stormy. It's really a nice place to call home.

It came as a surprise to me, but we like the curved deck. I was expecting the footing to be an issue. On the contrary, it's very easy to move around on deck, no shrouds in the way, just walk wherever you want. Getting to the mast is easy. Getting to the end of the boom (don't ask) is no problem. And the low windage helps getting upwind.

Another surprise was how well the keels work. Daggerboards were high on my wish list. I didn't get them, and now I don't miss them. While racing we don't point as high as the Corsair 31, and 27, but we go upwind with most of the racing (not GP) monos and all the cruising boats. Again, the low windage hull helps a lot. Off the wind we're good.

Tacking - well Presto tacks like a cat. I wanted a tri but couldn't find one that came close on a lot of other criteria so I'm getting used to tacking a cat. While we can be charging past a mono on the way to the mark, they just love spinning around inside as we take 40 acres to make the turn.

We've made and continue to make changes to the layout of the running rigging. There have been a lot of things that in 20+ years never got sorted out, grumble, grumble. Then again, by all appearances, we sail the boat a bit harder than the two previous owners.

Of course there's more to sailing than rounding a mark, and Presto sails very nicely. So far top speed is 21.5kt reaching in 27kts apparent and moderately choppy seas between Guadeloupe and Dominica. There was more in the tank, but the skipper got nervous 16-20kts is fun, 12-15 is pleasant, 8-10 is idling. With a clean bottom we ghost along at 4-6. Below that I wish we had a code zero or something, but unless I add a sprit, we don't have a way to add power in light wind.

Upwind in brisk weather, the hulls are long enough and fine enough (12:1) to be as comfortable as you can expect. Bridgedeck clearance is adequate but not exceptional. More clearance would have added windage, so there's a tradeoff.

The cockpit is big enough for three or four sailing, 8-10 entertaining. More could be squeezed in, but if that's needed, we just spread out around the deck. Sue and I cruise without additional crew, so the cockpit is roomy enough while being very secure in a seaway.

Headed back to the Pacific,
Old 28-09-2018, 07:15   #92

Finally a picture?
Old 28-09-2018, 10:01   #93

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post

Finally a picture?
Yes. Your description actually made me go to YouTube and have a ferret around. Nice boat
Old 28-09-2018, 11:05   #94

Thanks. It suits us.

And thanks for starting the thread. When there is sometimes a lot of posturing, BS, and negativity on CF, it's nice to have a thread with a positive slant.

Cheers,
Old 28-09-2018, 11:23   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Finally a picture?

Very pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:31   #96

Quote:
Thanks. It suits us.

And thanks for starting the thread. When there is sometimes a lot of posturing, BS, and negativity on CF, it's nice to have a thread with a positive slant.

Cheers,
My pleasure. Being a lurker for a long time, and a relatively inexperienced sailor, it was actually quite intimidating to post a new thread. Not sure why but, amidst the great knowledge, seems to be some real toxic stuff going round as well
Old 28-09-2018, 15:18   #97

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Thanks. It suits us.

Cheers,
I am happy about this as well
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55   #98

I'm jealous, caught the sailing bug 3 years ago, can't stop looking at a boat to buy.
Only 500 nm but desperate to buy one and deal with all the hassle and cost even with a €20,000 budget to buy.
Told my two daughters in their 20's I'm going to get one and leave it in Greece somewhere and paddle around for weeks and learn.
If it's that good I will get something better and live on it for a while.
Love this forum. Get to air that crazy simple desire to share with other people who adore the same thing.
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07   #99

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Picture says it allClick image for larger version

Name:	06429FAE-A40D-4291-A6D8-CC89585782A6.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	178310
Old 01-10-2018, 12:57   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GB View Post
Picture please!

Shuttleworth 45', 1988

Recent owner. Went thru the normal soul searching, trying to narrow down into what I wanted, squaring off what I could afford and what was available. Wanted a sailing catamaran rather than a comfortable base.

I like:

1) windspeed performance up to say 12 knots of wind, at least on some tacks (!), and being able to ghost along in little wind
2) that's it's an oldie that still holds its own in so many ways - feels virtuous and cool (I like classic cars as well)
3) no drama sailing, no fuss, but covers the ground - I have chartered Lagoons, sailed small monohulls across Biscay, and always had a sense of 'efforting' being involvedAttachment 177955
hello , am the owner of TOUCAN third spectrum 42 build,,(now 47ft)iff needed info ,,,, boat as 15 transats under her belt,,,, cheers
swanpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 13:19   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanpol View Post
hello , am the owner of TOUCAN third spectrum 42 build,,(now 47ft)iff needed info ,,,, boat as 15 transats under her belt,,,, cheers
Hey, pleased to meet you! I thought Toucan was nr 2 and mine, Paddy Tat, now LION 1, was nr 3 - at least I have seen old pictures with a 3 on the main.

How long have you had her? Picture please!
Old 01-10-2018, 23:53   #102

What I like about our Bob Oram designed 44C...

It's been a roomy and comfortable home for the past 8 1/2 years.

Still sails well, even with 8 1/2 year's accumulated crap on board, still pretty much TWS on a beam reach.

Eats miles effortlessly.

https://youtu.be/o4PoObnQrpc

Exceeds TWS under kite on some points of sail..

https://youtu.be/eRAOQb0JwaI

Gets upwind nicely.

Daggerboard, kick up rudders and outboards mean very shallow draught, easy drying out.

Dunno about all the "Cat's are ugly" crap. I think it's a bloody good looking boat. And I built it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:04   #103

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

Beautiful, 44. Love Orams lines. I had a crush on one that sold not too long back.
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:11   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
What I like about our Bob Oram designed 44C...

It's been a roomy and comfortable home for the past 8 1/2 years.

Still sails well, even with 8 1/2 year's accumulated crap on board, still pretty much TWS on a beam reach.

Eats miles effortlessly.

https://youtu.be/o4PoObnQrpc

Exceeds TWS under kite on some points of sail..

https://youtu.be/eRAOQb0JwaI

Gets upwind nicely.

Daggerboard, kick up rudders and outboards mean very shallow draught, easy drying out.

Dunno about all the "Cat's are ugly" crap. I think it's a bloody good looking boat. And I built it.
Love your boat and enjoyed the YouTubes.

Pictures aren't coming up on my phone.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:04   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GB View Post
Love your boat and enjoyed the YouTubes.

Pictures aren't coming up on my phone.
Your arch inspired my davits thread. Saw them in the background and said to myself, "Nice!". Would love your perspective on that, especially as you built your boat.

Tags
boat