Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2018, 08:10   #46

Boat: Freedom 40
Re: My boat and what I like about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I have seen a number of mechanical systems in the last couple of years ,including a chris white that had dyneema on a pull pull system. I ccant change mine do to location of rudders ,engines etc
I just replaced my pipes and cylinder, so not going there. Been a bit of brutal refit overall, who knew, right?
Old 26-09-2018, 08:51   #47

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Here's our new "boat". Can't comment on sailing attributes, comfort, etc., as the build is still underway. We visited the Seawind factory in Vietnam a couple of weeks ago. Really happy with layup process - looks to be a really stiff boat. Just starting interior fit-out. It's a Seawind 1160 Lite - although the word "lite" is all relative. Lightship displacement for base boat is published at 14,300 lbs (6.5 tons), and they apparently have weight records to substantiate. Resin-infused layup, no wood, etc. We're keeping options light as well, opting for dual Yamaha 25 O/B's, no generator, single head. Sails are coming from Barracouta Sails in Australia, material will be Dimension Polyant GPL Lite Skin, and we pushed the sail area on the square top main. Going with bow sprit and a downwind sail on furler - still working on whether that will be an A3 on top-down, or something more like a really fat screacher on a conventional continuous line furler. This won't be a race boat, but faster and roomier cruiser than our Seawind 1000. Will have 800 watts solar, 450 amp-hr house, on-demand hot water, fridge, freezer, propane BBQ - not condo-cat luxury, but comfortable. Going to be delivered to Miami in December, adding electronics, watermaker, etc., and then back to the Bahamas early next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8535.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	177989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8536.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	177990  

Name:	IMAG0126.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	177991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0127.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	177992  

Name:	IMAG0153.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	177993  
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:56   #48

AJ (smj), if you look at the track and car on your steering system, you might recognize it as what Seawind put on the 1000. When I upsized the main traveler on Jumanji, we put the old car and track on the TRT. The previous TRT setup was a much smaller car and track, and the car wobbled a bit.
Old 26-09-2018, 09:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Here's our new "boat". Can't comment on sailing attributes, comfort, etc., as the build is still underway. We visited the Seawind factory in Vietnam a couple of weeks ago. Really happy with layup process - looks to be a really stiff boat. Just starting interior fit-out. It's a Seawind 1160 Lite - although the word "lite" is all relative. Lightship displacement for base boat is published at 14,300 lbs (6.5 tons), and they apparently have weight records to substantiate. Resin-infused layup, no wood, etc. We're keeping options light as well, opting for dual Yamaha 25 O/B's, no generator, single head. Sails are coming from Barracouta Sails in Australia, material will be Dimension Polyant GPL Lite Skin, and we pushed the sail area on the square top main. Going with bow sprit and a downwind sail on furler - still working on whether that will be an A3 on top-down, or something more like a really fat screacher on a conventional continuous line furler. This won't be a race boat, but faster and roomier cruiser than our Seawind 1000. Will have 800 watts solar, 450 amp-hr house, on-demand hot water, fridge, freezer, propane BBQ - not condo-cat luxury, but comfortable. Going to be delivered to Miami in December, adding electronics, watermaker, etc., and then back to the Bahamas early next year.
Very cool to be commissioning a new boat, never done that. Good choice I reckon as well
Old 26-09-2018, 10:42   #50
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Boats looking great, as you know one of my favorites.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:45   #51
smj

Quote:
AJ (smj), if you look at the track and car on your steering system, you might recognize it as what Seawind put on the 1000. When I upsized the main traveler on Jumanji, we put the old car and track on the TRT. The previous TRT setup was a much smaller car and track, and the car wobbled a bit.

That would be this car and track.

Name:	IMG_5591.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	177994
A very light steering system and an example of a dyneema pull pull?
Old 26-09-2018, 10:47   #52

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Yea that looks like a pull pull
Old 26-09-2018, 10:49   #53

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Sailjumani can you talk about your on demand hot water
Old 26-09-2018, 11:04   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
That would be this car and track.
Attachment 177994
A very light steering system and an example of a dyneema pull pull?
Interesting. Looks very lightweight
Old 26-09-2018, 12:18   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GB View Post
Very cool to be commissioning a new boat, never done that. Good choice I reckon as well
We owned a couple of Corsairs that we purchased new, but the last Seawind was a charter boat - albeit four years old. We really liked the Seawind 1000 - the saloon, dual steering, outboard motors, etc., etc., and especially the fact that it actually sailed well. Seawind made an 1160 that was the next step up from the 1000, but for years only offered it with dual diesels, lots of wood used in interior, etc, - and it was rightfully renamed the Deluxe model when the Lite came out. Realize the Lite is also short on standard equipment vs the Deluxe, but we envisioned an oversized version of our 1000, and this pretty much fits the bill. I would have rather purchased a used hull and let someone else take the depreciation. But this model has only been built since 2015, and there has yet to be a used one listed in the US. So here we are. We put a deposit down on a build slot early in the year, went to Miami boat show to test sail, and fully committed shortly thereafter. Good thing I guess because by the show I think the wait for new commissions was about a year.
Old 26-09-2018, 12:29   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Sailjumani can you talk about your on demand hot water
On the Seawind 1000 - which was a 2000 model - it was a pretty simple Bosch on-demand unit powered by propane, with a flue vented overboard. There was a fan in an aft bulkhead that drew air into the hot water heater compartment, pressurized it somewhat, forcing exhaust out the flue. I think it was stamped as approved by some Aussie safety organization, or maybe the entire propane system was stamped inspected and passed.

The system worked very well. It took some adjustment of the water flow knobs to get the water temp not too hot, but after that we never messed with it again. When there was flow thru the hot water side, the heater would kick in and a lot of flame orifices heated up the copper coil in the heater. When water off, they'd drop down to something resembling little pilot lights (i.e., small flames).

The unit on the Seawind 1160 is similar, maybe a bit bigger. It has electronic ignition whereas the older Bosch on the SW1000 had a button you punched (which never worked, so you had to use a lighter stick.) I don't know what model it is. Here is a link to the owners manual, that talks a bit about operation.

http://www.seawindcats.com/download/2439/
Old 26-09-2018, 13:10   #57

Quote:
On the Seawind 1000 - which was a 2000 model
Oops, my SW1000 was a 2002 model. My Corsair 28R was a 2000 model.
Old 26-09-2018, 13:13   #58

This was the hot water heater on the Seawind 1000. You can partially see the insulation around the flue stack, that exited to the upper left in the pic. Second pic shows the compartment closed, in the back of the head.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Head - Hot Water Heater.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	178006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Head 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	178007  

Old 26-09-2018, 15:22   #59

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

We love our 1998 38 Horstman Tri Star. I was built in California by Wilson Marine and is a really strong boat coming in a 25000 lbs. We bought it in 2011 and did a refit of some of the systems. The one problem we had was maneuvering in tight spaces to added a external bow thruster a year later and that let the boat spin in its own length.
The other things we love-
1. sips diesel at 1.5 gallons an hour. (45hp Luger)
2. Handel's 6 foot seas withour spilling our coffee.
3. lots of deck room and tramps.
4. Sails fast in 10+ Knot winds.
5. No teak on deck, Lots of teak inside.
6. Great boat for the northwest.ll

Dan- Bellingham Wa.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38 foot horstman tri.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	178015   Click image for larger version

Name:	from bow.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	178016  

Name:	cooking area.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	178017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150423_203315_rewind-33314925.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	178018  

Puget Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 16:16   #60
smj

This is the on demand water heater that we have on the Searunner.
https://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-L5-P...79348914&psc=1
We extended the hose to about 12’ and installed a water saving shower head with cutoff. We mounted it next to the large galley port which opens up to the cockpit. My wife made a large shower curtain that attaches to our hardtop so we have a 4’x4’ shower that drains directly overboard, no water in the bilge or high humidity inside this wooden boat. The heater is also located about 2’ away from the galley sink so if hot water is needed for the dishes it’s easily available. As far as safety is concerned it’s mounted close to our propane stove and I’m guessing burns less propane than 2 burners running simultaneously.

Tags
boat