Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2011, 03:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Makes one wonder, no?
No - No it does not.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 04:13   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Thanks for all replies, I have never had so many PMs? Seems this is a hot topic and many posters dont want others to see their thoughts?? I am suprised at comments regarding prices of Multi hulls, ive been on Yachtworld and there is a large selection of CATS all within our price range (approx 110,000 Euros) The problem for me is knowing which ones are suitable, its easy to see the nice accomodation, etc....but which ones sail well, which ones have the least amount of ¨slapping¨, does that come down purely to bridge clearance? I was also curious as to the maintanence side of things, does a CAT have the same amount as a Monohull, or would it be more...or less??I am reading back through the various threads here to try and find info on these points but would certainly be grateful for any extra advice, thanks, best, Pablo
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 04:49   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Having spent a bit of time cruising up and down the Lesser Antilles in a monohull, I will tell you that the conditions here are pretty close to ideal for a catamaran. You're wise to consider them.

The cats' large, open areas for living and entertaining guests in shaded comfort and their stability in the anchorages that tend to be a bit rolly are where the cats excel. You can experience some chop and pounding between islands, but you can also easily pick the days you make the passages to minimize exposure. You'll pay more for a marina slip, but anchoring out for free is much more pleasant and easy to do. We only took a marina slip when doing major re-provisioning or meeting or dropping off guests.
Old 19-03-2011, 05:05   #19
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Thanks for all replies, I have never had so many PMs? Seems this is a hot topic and many posters dont want others to see their thoughts?? I am suprised at comments regarding prices of Multi hulls, ive been on Yachtworld and there is a large selection of CATS all within our price range (approx 110,000 Euros) The problem for me is knowing which ones are suitable, its easy to see the nice accomodation, etc....but which ones sail well, which ones have the least amount of ¨slapping¨, does that come down purely to bridge clearance? I was also curious as to the maintanence side of things, does a CAT have the same amount as a Monohull, or would it be more...or less??I am reading back through the various threads here to try and find info on these points but would certainly be grateful for any extra advice, thanks, best, Pablo
That does not surprise me in the least, this is an issue people seem to have an almost religious opinion on at times.
Regarding maintenance, there is not a huge difference $ wise, however you do have to remember one thing, a multi will always cost double to keep on a Marina as a mono.
As I have previously said I like Mono's Cat's and Tri's, I think they are all great and all have their relative merits and drawbacks.
This question to me is one that does not have a right or wrong answer, spend some time on a cruising mono and a cruising cat and see which one works out better for **YOU**. A good portion of new cruisers do choose cats over mono's.
I'm happy with our choice in a mono, it works very well for us in what it was designed for. But what works for me may not work for you.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:26   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Seriously this is one of the most contentious issues on this forum.
It can be but for starting out it is less about the boat and more the sailor. Horrible boats come in all types and sizes.

It usually means that smaller boats clearly can not haul the crap you need to tour about for extended periods. Cruising is about hauling lots o'stuff and sitting at anchor. Sometimes it really comes down to the money too. You need to get a feel for how far your money can go. A charter or two wouldn't hurt to make it all very real.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:53   #21

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Pablo you noted that there are cat listings in your price range, but (generally) you will find that for equal money you can get a mono in better condition to go cruising. I'm a multihull guy but if looking for a long-term cruiser on a $135k budget I'd focus on monos.

Go look at some boats and you will note the details that don't show up in the photos are often where the price difference lies. If you need to travel you might find someone on this board who lives nearby who will send you unbiased photos (including problem areas), or this site Multihulls4us Forums - Powered by vBulletin has a posting section for people who are willing to look at boats for others.

As others noted, choice of boat is very personal. It's your dream.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:12   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

In the 20 years we have owned a cat we have never paid double for a slip. Never paid anymore than a monohull. I have to agree that the price of cats keeps a lot of people from buying them. Imagine if they were the same price foot to foot as a mono.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:13   #23

Another thought -- you mentioned you're a couple and single, so you should look for boats that will give privacy to the couple and single -- (two separated cabins). If the cabins are in different hulls or at opposite ends of the boat that's ideal.
Old 19-03-2011, 06:17   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

Ola Pablo.........
Basically its what your plans for cruising are... if you intend to do a lot of upwind sailing get one of these
1991 Beneteau 45F5 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - uk.yachtworld.com
If your going to do mainly downwind fair weather cruising the maybe one of these would be better suited for your needs..
1975 Solaris Ketch Catamaran Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Slamming is a factor in all 'Cats' just varies in intensity... obviously the higher the bridgedeck the less often and intense the effects...
As for the TRI's.... I personally feel your being sent down the wrong path there... for your needs.. as I see them...
On the whole they'll have less accommodation and space than a mono of the same length... which will equate to larger fees for marinas and maintenance for no appreciable benefit to you other than speed... and I think that should be about No;5 on your requirements...
Seaworthy, Comfortable, Easy to maintain, twin engines.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
In the 20 years we have owned a cat we have never paid double for a slip. Never paid anymore than a monohull. I have to agree that the price of cats keeps a lot of people from buying them. Imagine if they were the same price foot to foot as a mono.
I've owned trimarans for 11 years and can say the same, except one place: Brewers Marinas (a chain of marinas in the NY/New England area). Brewers are nice but under normal circumstances they're not worth paying double so I choose other marinas or anchor out.

Generally marinas offer to put a multihull on the outside or at the end of a T, and charge the same per-foot of dock space. I've also been charged for one slip on the inside when they had the room, and in that case they have let me know they were doing me a favor -- but it only cost me the word "thanks".
Old 19-03-2011, 06:24   #26
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I've owned trimarans for 11 years and can say the same, except one place: Brewers Marinas (a chain of marinas in the NY/New England area). Brewers are nice but under normal circumstances they're not worth paying double so I choose other marinas or anchor out.

Generally marinas offer to put a multihull on the outside or at the end of a T, and charge the same per-foot of dock space. I've also been charged for one slip on the inside when they had the room, and in that case they have let me know they were doing me a favor -- but it only cost me the word "thanks".
True.
But if there is no T-end available the cat has to go into two regular births. In my part of the world there are a lot of cats about, so many so they far exceed T-ends available, I would imagine this being the case anywhere there would a lot of cats.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:25   #27

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If your going to do mainly downwind fair weather cruising the maybe one of these would be better suited for your needs..
1975 Solaris Ketch Catamaran Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Like the look of that catamaran
Old 19-03-2011, 06:42   #28

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm one of the few people around who has cruised a lot on both. I first went on some monos, then owned a small 32-foot cruising cat (French one that nobody has ever heard of) and I'm now back on a 38-foot mono. I like both for different reasons. The smaller cats are not good load carriers, and even most of the bigger cats I see out cruising are overloaded. This means that typically your average speed is not much different than the monos. We cruised in company for several months with a 42-foot cat and a 54-foot mono. We were on our 38-foot mono ketch motorsailer. The 54-footer was the fastest of the three by far, but after three days offshore we would all arrive within a few hours of each other. In fact, if the wind went light we were the fastest of the bunch. In heavy air right on the nose the cat was the slowest, but in heavy air off the wind they would take off. In any case, my point is that in terms of CRUISING performance, heavily loaded and with a small crew, there is very little difference in pure speed. Cats do have tons of space, which is welcome in port which is where you will spend at least 90% of your time. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about marina cost unless you plan on spending a lot of time in marinas. In places I have been they do charge more for cats in marinas, and they always charge more at haulout time. Shallow draft is great, but some cats aren't that shallow and/or have vulnerable appendages, like rudders and outdrives, that make taking the ground not such a good idea. From my observations (never owned one) the saildrive system is one of the most trouble-prone systems you can have. Friends on cats seem to always be repairing them or limping along on one engine or the other. Bottom line for me would be if you want less expensive and load carrying, plus generally easier to find dock space and hauling, go mono. If you want tons of living space, can afford the greater cost, and want shallow draft, go cat.
Old 19-03-2011, 06:44   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
pirate Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Looks well equiped boatman, quite old though, a previous poster had warned not to touch a Cat more than 20 years old??

Just to put a further spanner in the works, a Spanish friend of mine has just been round, he has sailed the MED for 20 years and is mortified I would even consider a Cat, he says in heavy seas there are serious safety issues and in that department the Mono is in a league of its own!
Does he have a point on the safety side??
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:54   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Monos and multis are equally safe and seaworthy generally speaking. Both types have circumnavigated and been in heavy weather. The cats are a smaller percentage of all new boats built but are growing every year. Get Tarjans book. He spells it all out. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote