Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 16:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
pirate Multi v Mono in Carribean

Ive been looking at Mono hulls for the past 6 months, its only in the past 2 weeks that CATS have caught my eye! We plan to set off in 2012 and hope to spend a couple of years sailing around the Carribean, maybe more, my question.....is a CAT the ideal vessel for that area, i.e...lots of quality outside space (how much time would you spend sitting inside a boat in that Carribean?) low draft, space for guests, etc (we are one couple and one single guy)....I was also wondering how bad the ¨¨pounding¨¨ gets and do you get used to it? Also, any Cats to look out for, our budget would be around $135,000 tops and ive looked at 38-40ft models including Dean and Gemini! I understand that in Marinas you pay 50% more for a Cat, however, are the majority at anchor? OH, and before anyone mentions it I did see the CAT for sale in Gibraltar and had a nice chat with the couple on board!!

PS..those who know me will be pleased to know that I was in Gibraltar today (I never get tired of the wonderful view of the rock looming out of the water, spectacular) and I have registered with the RYA office there, I start the 1st of several courses with them in the next month, we also have a brit who is very interested in our property which we need to sell to buy the boat, so things are looking good!
Best, Pablo
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 17:08   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

Hello Pablo. I'm looking forward to seeing the rock myself. Only about 14 months to go.

In regard to your question, maybe you should take a look at the multihull section of CF and start paging backwards through it. The same question has been asked many, many times. The regular posters will, I'm sure, be happy to answer your specific questions.
Old 18-03-2011, 17:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Hi Palarran, I will indeed start to go back through the Multi Hull section!

Regarding Gibraltar, I think you will love it as a sailor, full of history, the battle of Trafalgar took place not that far away, as a brit I find it moving to visit the Trafagar cementery where many of the sailors who died in battle are buried, some just 15 years old! There are over 30 miles of tunnels inside the rock and the caves are really special! If you PM us near the time we may well still be here and able to share a pint with you!
Old 18-03-2011, 17:59   #4

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hi Pablo,

Light the blue touch paper and stand back!

Seriously this is one of the most contentious issues on this forum.
But as someone who has just bought a Cat after being a committed mono sailor I think you are on the right track.
I won’t bag out anyone else’s boat but I believe what ever you buy it must be a good design that suits you.
Your budget will limit your choice but not exclude you from a well designed cat.
The unavoidable issue with a cat is their price.
Slamming is not a big problem on well designed cats but some of the boats you mentioned will have slamming issues.
Read all the other posts on cats on this forum there is a wealth of information from very well informed helpful people here.
Good luck with your quest and if I were you I would look at French production cats less than 20 years old.
But I’m sure there are others who will have a different view.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 18:03   #5
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

Cats are awesome for that part of the world, pretty much any design cat will work well there, but I'm not sure what you will find for $135K, I haven't looked at the multi market in a while, but I think you will find most cats that you would actually want to sail on will be $200k+.
There's always exceptions to that, but I would be thinking anything 35ft+ would be great in that part of the world.
If I can also suggest however if you are going to buy a cat, get one with dagger boards, the upwind sailing performance difference they make is huge, contrary to what some people say they are very easy to use.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 18:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

Go for the 'Condo'....
Mono's won't suit your ambitions half as well....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 18:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Go for the 'Condo'....
Mono's won't suit your ambitions half as well....
You have lost me again Boatman ...we played you Wilson Pickett on the Radio show the other day, not sure why, we kinda thought that would be down your alley!!

Back to the Cats...is it fair to say that prices for them would be better in the carribean than Europe, I am guessing there must be more Cats there than here in Europe?

I have noticed a certain amount of negativity from certan memebers regarding CATS?? What is that about, do people see them as non traditional? Am just a newbie so forgive me if I am missing a well known type of joke!
Old 18-03-2011, 18:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Multi v Mono in Carribean

I'm being serious.... go for the 'Cat'.... they are great... I like cats...
I just call em Condo's because they're like floating apartments... nowadays..
But they sail ok.. are comfortable.. and you can set up one cabin for your 'Studio'.. out the way..
Thanks for the Wilson Picket number... sadly I did not get to hear it.. but its the thought that counts..
Midnight hour.. or Mustang Sally... no... not Hey Jude...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 18:32   #9

Boat: Traditional 30

As a mono owner most of my life I dont usually compliments cats too often. But they have immense deck areas for lazing about. And most of them can be beached on any nice sandy shorefront for a quick stay or an over nighter ( if the tides are right).

One downside is when manouvering a cat, without dual engines, they arent as easy as a mono. If the cat has dual engines, you have great control but you have double the maintainance. ( the plus side is you always have a spare engine)
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 18:32   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here is an older tri in your price range. Really not much selection. BOB CUSTOM 46' SOUTHERN CROSS Used Trimaran For Sale Check your personal messages
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 18:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Here is an older tri in your price range. Really not much selection. BOB CUSTOM 46' SOUTHERN CROSS Used Trimaran For Sale Check your personal messages
Thanks Bob, just seen your PM, cant get into that site but will get logged on!
Old 18-03-2011, 18:56   #12

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
You have lost me again Boatman ...we played you Wilson Pickett on the Radio show the other day, not sure why, we kinda thought that would be down your alley!!

Back to the Cats...is it fair to say that prices for them would be better in the carribean than Europe, I am guessing there must be more Cats there than here in Europe?

I have noticed a certain amount of negativity from certan memebers regarding CATS?? What is that about, do people see them as non traditional? Am just a newbie so forgive me if I am missing a well known type of joke!
I think it's a tribal thing or hull envy.
From what I have observed Med and Caribbean prices are similar and are the best in the world for French production cats. They are about half Australian prices.

I asume you are talking USD and not EUROs.

Beware of boats with low bridge decks, our Lavezzi does it once in a while in a rough sea, it would drive you mad if you had a boat that did it all the time.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 19:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
just call em Condo's because they're like floating apartments... .
Not all of them are like that mine certainly isnt
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 21:26   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

CRUISING TRIMARAN - TEVAKE FOR SALE - INTERIOR SLIDE SHOW This seems a well built trimaran at a decent price. Looks to be pretty much sailaway equipped.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 22:05   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Devotees of multi-hull craft promote such vessels in "much higher volume" compared to fans of conventional craft. While catamarans/trimarans have their advantages, the huge majority of boaters choose monohulls. Makes one wonder, no?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote