Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 19:37   #871

Boat: Careel 22
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
I've got no intention to gloat but just 3 short weeks ago I transfered $180,000 via Ozforex @ $1.06 to purchase my C42 + enough to buy goodies( equip) + my cruising kitty for the trip home......phew, only just in time, eh!

If I did it right now I'd be $16,000 poorer!
Good to hear you got it right James
As for one of the boats I was thinking of buying in the States, she's a 1976, 40' Ketch, asking price, $60,000US.
Today in Oz, I find a beautiful 1975, 50' Ketch, nothing to spend on her, asking price, $115,000AU or make a decent offer.
So I'll be looking at the Ausie Ketch ASAP, the asking price difference is not worth the hassle of flying to and buying in the States, time and cost of sailing her back here, then paying the duty, tax, sniffer dog, fumigation fees and all the other hoops I would have to jump through if I went for the American Ketch...And if the AU$ continues to drop, I'll be much better-of buying the Ausie Ketch or another boat here in Australia...I hope
But you got things done at the right time James...Good job mate

Bill
Old 22-09-2011, 20:45   #872

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
I've got no intention to gloat but just 3 short weeks ago I transfered $180,000 via Ozforex @ $1.06 to purchase my C42 + enough to buy goodies( equip) + my cruising kitty for the trip home......phew, only just in time, eh!

If I did it right now I'd be $16,000 poorer!
LIAR!!... Of course you're gloating, and so would I be if I was in your shoes

Well done!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 21:16   #873

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Good to hear you got it right James
As for one of the boats I was thinking of buying in the States, she's a 1976, 40' Ketch, asking price, $60,000US.
Today in Oz, I find a beautiful 1975, 50' Ketch, nothing to spend on her, asking price, $115,000AU or make a decent offer.
So I'll be looking at the Ausie Ketch ASAP, the asking price difference is not worth the hassle of flying to and buying in the States, time and cost of sailing her back here, then paying the duty, tax, sniffer dog, fumigation fees and all the other hoops I would have to jump through if I went for the American Ketch...And if the AU$ continues to drop, I'll be much better-of buying the Ausie Ketch or another boat here in Australia...I hope
But you got things done at the right time James...Good job mate

Bill
If that's the one in Darwin make sure you check out the Fibreglass Sheathing, it's been on the market for a couple of years now, if it's not the one then best of luck to ya...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 22:14   #874

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
LIAR!!... Of course you're gloating, and so would I be if I was in your shoes

Well done!
Not normal for me to get it right!

I'm not that lucky.

If I fell into a barrel full of tits I'd come out sucking my thumb!!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 02:15   #875

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
If that's the one in Darwin make sure you check out the Fibreglass Sheathing, it's been on the market for a couple of years now, if it's not the one then best of luck to ya...
Yes mate, she is up in Darwin but I don't know if she's the Ketch you're referring to, here's the link: The Darwin Ketch if you want to look her over to see if you know her.
If it is the same Ketch you're talking about and you know something about her that you believe a prospective buyer should know, I would appreciate your advice.
After my last "waste of time" jaunt to Sydney to inspect a bargain yacht, (brokers description) only to find a wreck almost sunk...I no longer trust descriptions of boats as provided by boat brokers and Darwin is a bit of a long-haul from Geelong.

Bill
Old 23-09-2011, 02:33   #876

Boat: Custom

Hi Bill.

I feel your pain mate. Brokers are excellent at wasting time and money!

Usually if you post a help wanted post you will find a member here who will cast an eye over a boat for you. I have been VERY fortunate to be steered away from some serious time wasters by members here.

On the other hand I have also been gazumped by posting links to ads in the public forum section

Just some friendly advice mate.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 03:13   #877

Quote:
Yes mate, she is up in Darwin but I don't know if she's the Ketch you're referring to, here's the link: The Darwin Ketch if you want to look her over to see if you know her.
If it is the same Ketch you're talking about and you know something about her that you believe a prospective buyer should know, I would appreciate your advice.
After my last "waste of time" jaunt to Sydney to inspect a bargain yacht, (brokers description) only to find a wreck almost sunk...I no longer trust descriptions of boats as provided by boat brokers and Darwin is a bit of a long-haul from Geelong.

Bill
Yeah Bill that's the one...

I was not looking at it but a mate did (loves his Ferro’s). He said the glass sheathing was showing signs of separating from the hull in places, he did say though that it didn't look like it would be too difficult to repair, just that it was not for him as he doesn't want a glass sheathed one. When it was initially advertised there was no mention of the glass sheathing, although i don't know if it was with the same broker...

That was nearly two years ago, and why i mentioned how long i knew of it been on the market. I'm a steel boat type myself, but if you’re up to a bit of work, and your heart is set on a Ferro, it may be worth your while taking a trip up to Darwin to check it out, she does have nice lines and as the add says they are open to offers...

John
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 04:51   #878

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Yeah Bill that's the one...

I was not looking at it but a mate did (loves his Ferro’s). He said the glass sheathing was showing signs of separating from the hull in places, he did say though that it didn't look like it would be too difficult to repair, just that it was not for him as he doesn't want a glass sheathed one. When it was initially advertised there was no mention of the glass sheathing, although i don't know if it was with the same broker...

That was nearly two years ago, and why i mentioned how long i knew of it been on the market. I'm a steel boat type myself, but if you’re up to a bit of work, and your heart is set on a Ferro, it may be worth your while taking a trip up to Darwin to check it out, she does have nice lines and as the add says they are open to offers...

John
Hello John, Thanks for the heads-up on that one mate...Even it has burst my bubble I won't go on about it on this thread but there's a FC thread on the forum so I'll post my views on incasing FC boats with glass there, this thread is on "importing a boat to Australia". Here's the FC thread

Bill
Old 23-09-2011, 04:58   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Hi Bill.

I feel your pain mate. Brokers are excellent at wasting time and money!

Usually if you post a help wanted post you will find a member here who will cast an eye over a boat for you. I have been VERY fortunate to be steered away from some serious time wasters by members here.

On the other hand I have also been gazumped by posting links to ads in the public forum section

Just some friendly advice mate.
I hear you James but here's my motto...Never run after a bus, a woman or a boat...There's always another one coming behind
And if someone beats me to a boat I'm interested in? Well James, just see Bills motto

Bill
Old 23-09-2011, 05:06   #880
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Glass on FC...

The big worry with glass on ferro would be that if it separates it could take the cement cover off the reinforcing, leaving a path for corrosion to start.

Did look like a nice boat.

Its a big boat though.

I had a quick look and saw that there are a few steel boats around the 40' mark for similar money. Probably not as nice but a surveyor may be able to pick up on any damage.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 23:57   #881
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

By all rational reason. The AUD should gain on the USD over the next year or so. This does not mean it will though! Rationality and reason obviously have little to do with financial markets. Lucky for me the funds we will be using are in GPB. I would be very annoyed if I had to use AUD right now.

BTW I am a licensed electrician. Please do not try and wire up your 240 system, or if you do at least get it checked by someone who is qualified. Not only will you be breaking the law, you will be endangering anyone who comes on your boat if you made a critical mistake.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 04:14   #882

Do the same rules apply if importing a boat from New Zealand as they apply to other countries
Old 25-09-2011, 20:26   #883

Quote:
Do the same rules apply if importing a boat from New Zealand as they apply to other countries
Sorry for posting that stupid question, yes! The same ruled apply
After reading-up on the subject of importing a boat at: AustraliaTrade.com.au, I now believe that bargain yacht in New Zealand, or wherever off-shore, may turn-out to be not such a bargain after you do the import shuffle when the boat arrives in Oz. You could well find a similar model, length, built boat here in Oz would be the better buy.

Bill
Old 25-09-2011, 20:30   #884

Boat: Able 50

Entering Australia with your new toy is not compulsory. There are plenty of nice places to hang out while you contemplate the meaning of life and pay no tax to anyone.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 20:53   #885

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Entering Australia with your new toy is not compulsory. There are plenty of nice places to hang out while you contemplate the meaning of life and pay no tax to anyone.

Quite true Mr Savoir! I'll be setting off across the Pacific as early as safety dicates and intend to spent alot more time around Marquesas Islands and French Polynesia generally than I did back in the 90's.

We all snook into Fatu Hiva without checking in in those days, they come down harder on you now I believe, but I'll consider checking in at Hiva Oa then a possible windward beat back to Fata Hiva if the trades are light. It's a magical place and one more time would warm my heart if I can get back there and show my young crew the majesty of it's towering peaks and primitive village life in the most beautiful tropical setting.

I've seen it mentioned somewhere on CF to linger in the Eastern Pacific as it's quite possible to cruise the western Pacific islands from Australia once you get back.

B the way..... the prognosis is that La Nino is developing again this year in the Pacific bringing the likelyhood of stronger trades this coming season. Anybody else picked that up?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia