Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-02-2006, 23:07   #1

Importing a Boat to Australia

Can anybody enlighten me as to why this boat a Lagoon 410 in Spain ..... http://www.yachtworld.com/core/uk/li...boats=1281231&

is sooooooo much cheaper than this one?

A Lagoon 410 in Sydney....
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Desk...as=boatpointau

apart from the 10% import duty (@#$%^&) payable to the Australian Government.

Why is the Sydney one nearly A$200,000 more?

I asked a local broker and he said "forget it, you won't save any money buying overseas."

cheers

My first post

Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 00:18   #2
Bob Norson

My experience suggests that there is a reason for the difference in price.... does the spainish price include VAT? And it does make a difference that transport from france where made, to OZ has to be considered, whereas transport from france to Spain is a nice day sail.... And condition of course! Vic Sail has never impressed me anyway. Maybe try www.emultihulls.com Whitsunday operation and why not buy where it's good sailing! There are some cats made up in QLD that I think are better than the french stuff anyway but if you just have to have french... Peter Hansen Yacht brokers in Mackay has a nice example.

Glad to see an Aussie post. Do you read The Coastal Passage?

Available free at Boat books and Glass craft in your home town or free download from the web site. www.thecoastalpassage.com

Cheers Mate

Bob Norson
Old 01-03-2006, 03:29   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Price difference

Reefer

"HF radio plus a 70L/hr watermaker, genset and aircon"

The one in Oz has the above £30k (AUS$100k?) of extras compared to the one in Spain.

Also... lots of Lagoon's will have been charter boats. So, if one is ex-charter and the other one isn't, that'll make a big difference as well.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:35   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Arbitrage

Is the purchase of goods on one exchange and selling on another. The reason and purpose is to make money as the price may be cheaper in one place than another. Sometimes stock prices are cheaper in Chicago than New York, or Montreal. A boat I am considering is not popular in the US and is listed at about half the price of one in England, which is close enough to Europe where they are popular. Then there is the tax and condition and equipment issues.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:33   #5

Quote:

Glad to see an Aussie post. Do you read The Coastal Passage?

Available free at Boat books and Glass craft in your home town or free download from the web site. www.thecoastalpassage.com

Cheers Mate

Bob Norson [/B]
I do now,
I read a couple of issues - and had trouble putting them down, had a bit of a chuckle....

I used to work for coastwatch too - so interesting reading.

cheers
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24   #6

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Mike, along with differential pricing of a given boat from one area to another, don't overlook regulatory (aka: trade barrier) issues. Buying a boat at a cheaper price in N America, then prepping it to cross (or paying to ship it), still leaves one with a N American boat in Europe that is not compliant with the EU's RCD. Best case: it must go thru an approval process which is slow and expensive; worst case: if flagged in an EU country when purchased and then subsequently sailed or shipped there, it is in violation of the RCD the day it arrives and may be impounded. Ugh...

Jack
Old 04-03-2006, 07:59   #7

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Boat

Euro.
The boat was made in Sweden. If I purchase it I would only plan to visit. But then what if I decided to move to Spain ? Too many people, I will stay on the Pacific side between NZ and Vancouver Island. There is also a nice 36 foot Peterson in Washington State which is much closer. The Swedish boat I am referring to is in Texas.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 14:50   #8

I looked into importing a yacht into oz and import tax, transport cost ,custom agent fees and gst on it all including the transport ,it was nearly same price as here.You still must pay import tax and gst on transport even if you bring it here on it's own bottom.The formula they use is costs of food,fuel running costs and an hourly rate for any crew on board.Greg
ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 00:50   #9
Bob Norson

I am on record as stating that the best place in the world to buy a boat.. especially a cat.. is right here in Australia. The designers and builders and material providers are all here. The charter fleets here tend to buy french and to a lessor extent, American (Hunter) and I have always wondered at that as I know so many examples of Canadians and Americans buying here to sail back.

But a real fact of life is you should buy a boat where you want to sail.... It's no bargain if it's hell to get it back.

Hey Reefer dude! Glad you like the read. The new one is out next week. I have just finished 12 hours in front of the puter putting together pages and writing last minute changes and then what do I do for relaxation?? Skoll two beers and check the action here..... I am living proof puters cause brain damage!

Cheers
Old 11-03-2006, 19:26   #10

So its too expensive to import? Then what's on offer...

This one is A$275K, but its 1984 built!

http://www.boatbrokersqld.com.au/det...&Order=&Page=1

Thats 22 years old.

Anybody even heard of a Stratos?
Old 18-03-2006, 02:45   #11
Bob Norson

nah... don't know that one but I'm not the greatest expert... wonder who the designer is?

did you check www.emultihulls.com? or check the Schionning web site as they list some of their boats there. Just sold out of TCP Bob Orams own 42 footer... ask was $235K and I think he sold for less. that was a 4 year old boat. Wished I had had the money at the time...

cheers
Old 05-11-2007, 21:55   #12

Australian sailing boats

I'm fairly new to Australia and am looking for some good Australian built sailing boats in the 30 - 40 ft LOA range suitable for cruising. Would like some suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Norson View Post
I am on record as stating that the best place in the world to buy a boat.. especially a cat.. is right here in Australia. The designers and builders and material providers are all here. The charter fleets here tend to buy french and to a lessor extent, American (Hunter) and I have always wondered at that as I know so many examples of Canadians and Americans buying here to sail back.

But a real fact of life is you should buy a boat where you want to sail.... It's no bargain if it's hell to get it back.

Hey Reefer dude! Glad you like the read. The new one is out next week. I have just finished 12 hours in front of the puter putting together pages and writing last minute changes and then what do I do for relaxation?? Skoll two beers and check the action here..... I am living proof puters cause brain damage!

Cheers
chrisvenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 22:01   #13

Boat: now floating easy37
orams easys mike wallers boats all come to mind as good for the money, if your a little more upmarket then schionnings graingers chamberlains, good to hear youve got another issue happening bob i think you should go to monthly as its boring having to wait 60 days for some decent reading material, you and multihull come out at the same time i think so theres a good week of reading and then nothing, also how about posting some of the early issues in your back issues page for those of us that joined you in issue 16, hows you prospective boat building coming along

sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 00:06   #14

PSSSST! I know what Bob's going to build. Can't say too much though...... but it's something you might be interested in building one day.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:11   #15

Boat: now floating easy37
i did try to tempt him to the dark side but never mind
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia