Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 02:15   #841

Boat: Able 50
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Rather than guess, read this thread - all of it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 03:16   #842

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Thanks for that post DD, it's just the sort of info' I was seeking
I will most likly buy a boat here in Aus' but...If I did buy a boat in the USA or South America, I would like to sail on and visit family (my youngest daughter and granddaughter) who now live in the Canary Islands...After all, if buying the boat in Florida or S-America, I would be half way, or better, to the Canaries
It would not bother me paying the tax, duty and other import requirements on my arrival back in Australia, I was just wondering, after buying the boat, could I sail under the Aus' Red Duster, or another flag, on my trip to the Canaries and back to Aus'...I imagin the whole trip would take about one year but I'm not sure on that. Thanks again DD.

Bill
Australia
Do some homework Bill, the usual route is Canaries to Caribbean & America!

Why?....... Check Atlantic prevailing tradewind directions!!!!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 03:39   #843

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
Do some homework Bill, the usual route is Canaries to Caribbean & America!

Why?....... Check Atlantic prevailing tradewind directions!!!!
As I have no plans to do the trip, this month or next month, I'll be sure to do my research beforehand DD
Old 21-09-2011, 04:14   #844

As there are two yachts in the USA, one in Florida and one in New Jersey, and one in Central America, I could buy in the States and, I believe, I could pick-up the Westerlies to carry me to the Canary Islands and the N.E. Trades to carry me back to the Panama Canal.
When I did similar trips in the past, I had a 14,000HP or more, diesel to push me where we had to go. Anyway...There's nothing set in stone, like I said, I may well buy a boat here in Australia. And have my youngest come visit me here
Old 21-09-2011, 06:06   #845
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
In Australia you do not need any qualification or a certificate to work on the electrics anywhere where you are plugged into mains via extension lead. For example you can work on a heater, air compressor, hair dryer etc, but not on the mains itself, such as a powerpoint or hooking up a light fitting -WITHIN a premises.

There is no law against completely wiring up a boat yourself as this is not mains power as such as it will only ever be connected via an extension cord.
Given that Electrical Safety is a state government responsibility, I am not sure how you can say "In Australia".

In so far as Qld is concerned the releveant legislation is the Electrical Safety Act Sects 14, 18 and 55 are applicable, and rewiring a 110 volt system to 240 volts is very clearly an offence if you are not qualified. Given its unlikely that anyone will ever know, knock your self out though, but be prepared for your insurance company to disown you if there is an electrical event aboard the vessel.

Sect 18 - Meaning of electrical work
(1) Electrical work is the manufacturing, constructing, installing, testing, maintaining, repairing, altering, removing, or replacing of electrical equipment.

Sect 14 - Meaning of electrical equipment
(1) Electrical equipment is any apparatus, appliance, cable,
conductor, fitting, insulator, material, meter or wire—
(a) used for controlling, generating, supplying, transforming or transmitting electricity at a voltage greater than extra low voltage; or

Sect 55 - Requirement for electrical work licence
(1) A person must not perform or supervise electrical work unless—
(a) the person is the holder of an electrical work licence in force under this Act; and
(b) the licence authorises the person to perform the work.
Maximum penalty—400 penalty units.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 16:28   #846

Boat: Seawind 1000 - now sold

Quote:
In Australia you do not need any qualification or a certificate to work on the electrics anywhere where you are plugged into mains via extension lead. For example you can work on a heater, air compressor, hair dryer etc, but not on the mains itself, such as a powerpoint or hooking up a light fitting -WITHIN a premises.

There is no law against completely wiring up a boat yourself as this is not mains power as such as it will only ever be connected via an extension cord.
Don't agree. (QLD) By law you are not even allowed to replace the plug on your extension lead. Any system that carries more than low voltage is covered by the licensing act, including DC solar arrays over 24v on homes (mine is 480v). I’ve just been through this guff for a caravan.
harlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 17:26   #847

To run 110V or 220V gear, why not just upgrade your 12V house battery bank
If you have 12V batteries in-place, replace them with 6, or more, x 6V x 225AH batteries, have one or two 200W solar pannel/s, a 200W wind genny, a 12V solar/wind controler, a good inverter, (either 12v to 110V or 12V to 220V depending on the gear on-board) and Bobs your uncle...With a solar/wind system, You don't need to hook-up to AC shore power so why be concerned over 110 and/or 220V.

Perhaps others with more experence with solar/wind set-ups can give better advise.

Bill
Old 21-09-2011, 17:31   #848

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
To run 110V or 220V gear, why not just upgrade your 12V house battery bank
If you have 12V batteries in-place, replace them with 6, or more, x 6V x 225AH batteries, have one or two 200W solar pannel/s, a 200W wind genny, a 12V solar/wind controler, a good inverter, (either 12v to 110V or 12V to 220V depending on the gear on-board) and Bobs your uncle...With a solar/wind system, You don't need to hook-up to AC shore power so why be concerned over 110 and/or 220V.

Bill
I think you're on the money there Bill. Best way to go and be totally self sufficient!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 18:21   #849

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

That's what I was saying
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 19:11   #850
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Sect 18 - Meaning of electrical work
(1) Electrical work is the manufacturing, constructing, installing, testing, maintaining, repairing, altering, removing, or replacing of electrical equipment.

Sect 14 - Meaning of electrical equipment
(1) Electrical equipment is any apparatus, appliance, cable,
conductor, fitting, insulator, material, meter or wire—
(a) used for controlling, generating, supplying, transforming or transmitting electricity at a voltage greater than extra low voltage; or

Sect 55 - Requirement for electrical work licence
(1) A person must not perform or supervise electrical work unless—
(a) the person is the holder of an electrical work licence in force under this Act; and
(b) the licence authorises the person to perform the work.
Maximum penalty—400 penalty units.

Factor - again, you are using the electricity via a cable such as an extension lead. Your exerts refer to hard wiring appliances etc directly to the feed (house or otherwise), such as a wall heater or air conditioner. Different thing completely.

You can build and or maintain any electrical device you want, as long as it's not mains wired.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 22:00   #851

Quote:
Factor - again, you are using the electricity via a cable such as an extension lead. Your exerts refer to hard wiring appliances etc directly to the feed (house or otherwise), such as a wall heater or air conditioner. Different thing completely.

You can build and or maintain any electrical device you want, as long as it's not mains wired.
If Australia say 220V is mains wired, what would the powers that be reckon 110V would be
Old 21-09-2011, 22:24   #852
Marine Service Provider

Regardless of the voltage be it 220 or 110, a yacht is not mains powered. It is connected to a PowerPoint via an extension lead. "Mains powered" is a PowerPoint or heater or fan or airconditoner connected via the internal wiring of a house or premises.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 22:46   #853
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Aus Aviator: We will have to disagree, Just check with your insurer before you do anything.

Billau: the voltage doesn't matter in Qld provided it is above extra low voltage, anything above is subject to the provisions of the sections I mentioned above.

Extra low voltage is defined in the act as extra low voltage means voltage of 50V or less AC RMS, or120V or less ripple-free DC. Thus 110 - 220/240 AC is not extra low voltage and is thus covered by the provisions of sect 55. Thus if you aleter a wire used for the transmission of 110v and you are not licensed, you commit an offence.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 02:41   #854

OMG what a nanny state, so sad.

Bill, if you want to do the Canaries before sailing to Aus, wouldn't it be better to look at boats in Europe than the Americas?
Old 22-09-2011, 03:04   #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Aus Aviator: We will have to disagree, Just check with your insurer before you do anything.

Billau: the voltage doesn't matter in Qld provided it is above extra low voltage, anything above is subject to the provisions of the sections I mentioned above.

Extra low voltage is defined in the act as extra low voltage means voltage of 50V or less AC RMS, or120V or less ripple-free DC. Thus 110 - 220/240 AC is not extra low voltage and is thus covered by the provisions of sect 55. Thus if you aleter a wire used for the transmission of 110v and you are not licensed, you commit an offence.
Thanks for the heads-up on the new QLD electrical regulations...Does that mean "all" vessels entering QLD ports these days are checked to make sure they conform with QLD electrical regulations And do vessels have to call a QLD licensed lecky when they need a job doing on any electrical gear on-board or do the rules only apply to ships and vessels registered in QLD or/and other Australian States
You see I'm 100% sure, when I did my watches, as duty engineer on-board British, Israeli, Kuwait and Belgian cargo vessels, most times, 97% of the time, I did not have a lecky officer working along side of me. As duty engineer, I was expected to, and "I" did "all" repairs that needed doing, mechanical and electrical on all the equipment on-board, and our gear was all 220V, cranes, winches, freezers, TV's, microwaves and other gear, we also had gas cooking ranges which I also repaired when needed and...I did not have a QLD gas fitters ticket.
All our gear was all 220V. The power was generated by our generators. So, from what you're saying, I guess my old marine engineers ticket is of no use to me in QLD, I, along with all other intercontinental marine engineers, must have been, or/and still are, breaking the law when we do/did any electrical work on-board our ships in QLD ports, because I did not hold a QLD leckies ticket...Nor do I know of any Intercontinental marine engineer (I don't know about the inshore boys, local fishing boats and such) who do hold a QLD electricians ticket, nor a leckies ticket from any state in Australia, nor any country in the world for that matter. We were and still are I believe, (as in my case) licensed as marine engineers via the British Board Of Trade or other relevant authorities world wide....That's to the best of my knowledge but as I've been retired and away from a sea-life for over fifteen years, things may have changed but...I can't see it change that much

Bill

Tags
Australia