Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2019, 16:53   #91

Re: I watched a guy nearly capsize right in front of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post

Were you referring to this line, in the article?

Faster is easily understood, but it is justifiable to question the safety aspect. An offshore catamaran or trimaran can turn upside-down with a moment’s lack of concentration.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 20:22   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Were you referring to this line, in the article?

Faster is easily understood, but it is justifiable to question the safety aspect. An offshore catamaran or trimaran can turn upside-down with a moment’s lack of concentration.
A perfect example of taking a line out of context.

The line came from a paragraph about racing high performance maxi cat's and tris.

And even then he stated that the multihulls were safer, but allowed that some might question this.

BTW, I don't agree with all he says. IMO he has completely the wrong idea about how performance cruising cats are sailed. They're not about "cruising at 25kts ". That's sailing like a racer.

The idea of a performance cruising cat is to be able to sail at good speeds when everyone else is motoring. Being able to sail at or close to (or faster than) windspeed in 5-8 kts of breeze.

https://youtu.be/ki6hws2_DL4

I know plenty of people with performance cruising cats. None of them sails at 25kts, nor would they want to.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 20:55   #93

Boat: Passport 41

That is a very beamy boat, Mr. My advanced degree didn't make me learn where center of gravity is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I have a righting arm of 24ft .
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 04:28   #94
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=44'cruisingcat;3043350]
The idea of a performance cruising cat is to be able to sail at good speeds when everyone else is motoring. Being able to sail at or close to (or faster than) windspeed in 5-8 kts of breeze.QUOTE]

That’s my take on it as well
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 20:46   #95

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Speaking as someone who has designed and built a couple multihulls, it seems to me to be good practice to make the rig strong enough to survive a capsize without dismasting. Ordinarily that will mean that one can fly a hull if one desires (or is careless) and conditions permit, unless the boat is seriously under-canvassed.

Put another way, good safety margins in rig design and structure to provide adequate margins for dealing with large waves means that by default the rig will be strong enough to fly a hull in some wind in the hands of someone who is careless or has high risk tolerance. For many heavy cruising cats, flying a hull requires "too much" sail area up.

Any prudent sailor should assume that his craft can be capsized, whether monohull, catamaran, trimaran or proa. Also good to assume that the boat can be pitchpoled. If you have spoken at length with your boat's designer and he clearly states that rig will blow off before a hull can be lifted, then perhaps you have a boat that cannot capsize. Personally I would not trust such a boat.

A lightly loaded Gemini can fly a hull. A Maine Cat 30 can fly a hull. A Gunboat can certainly fly a hull. So blanket statements about "cruising cats" being unable to fly a hull are unwise, because such statements can foster a false sense of security in the unwary or inexperienced.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size, capsize