Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   I watched a guy nearly capsize right in front of us (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/i-watched-a-guy-nearly-capsize-right-in-front-of-us-225393.html)

Dave_S 17-10-2019 01:38

I watched a guy nearly capsize right in front of us

Just an observation, no comment on type of boat.

We were beating up wind, 25kn TWS, he was comming up behind us in a big cruising cat and lifted the hull often, occasionally it would hang up for 3 or 4 seconds then drop back down. There was wind against tide and the steep swell up to about 2.5m most around 2m.

We rounded a mark which took us off the wind about 10deg and bought the swell around to more side on. It lifted the windward hull like it did before then suddenly it shot up further to about 40 hung there for a moment like it was balancing on the edge and fell back down.

It was so fast, if the sheet is on a winch you would not have a hope of doing anything about it and I doubt the helm would shift the dynamics of the boat in time. The only chance you might have is if you were holding the sheet with a couple of wraps on the winch and just let it go.

I guess there are all types fast and slow but it was a real eye openner to see what might have happened.

myocean 17-10-2019 01:43

Re: I watched a guy nearly capsize right in front of us

So, the UpSide Up anticapsize system is probably really a good idea.
UpSide Up anticapsize

belizesailor 17-10-2019 03:31

Reef early, reef deep!

Bean Counter 17-10-2019 03:36

WAGS race?

valhalla360 17-10-2019 04:08

Hard to say if it means anything if you won't tell us the type of boat.

A really high performance boat being raced to the ragged edge...not surprising.

A big old condomaran just getting out of control...very surprising.

The fact that you suggest it happened multiple times, suggests they were doing it intentionally.

catsketcher 17-10-2019 05:52

Sounds dumb.
Flying a hull means you are on the wrong side of the stability curve. Until you fly, every bit of extra heel increases righting moment but once flying every degree reduces it.
The close reach can be really scary as you have a long way to turn before pressure eases up on the rig. Also, lots of cruising cats have rather hard to adjust sheet winches. So pretty silly but maybe they couldn't tell the hull was getting light
Cheers Phil

Dave_S 17-10-2019 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsketcher (Post 2998238)
Sounds dumb.
Flying a hull means you are on the wrong side of the stability curve. Until you fly, every bit of extra heel increases righting moment but once flying every degree reduces it.
The close reach can be really scary as you have a long way to turn before pressure eases up on the rig. Also, lots of cruising cats have rather hard to adjust sheet winches. So pretty silly but maybe they couldn't tell the hull was getting light
Cheers Phil

I wondered if that may be the case, on the beating leg his hull was just clear of the wave tops by a foot or two, even when it hung for a few seconds. The tendency beating is to watch the hull punching through the wave and not the one gliding effortlessly along, I'll stop doing that now :-)

I think the 10 course change made the difference, with the wind angle but more importantly I'd say, it bought the swell around relative to the boat and allowed one hull to be down a wave and the other up where before the course change most of the time one hull was across two waves.

tomfl 17-10-2019 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by valhalla360 (Post 2998193)
Hard to say if it means anything if you won't tell us the type of boat.

A really high performance boat being raced to the ragged edge...not surprising.

A big old condomaran just getting out of control...very surprising.

The fact that you suggest it happened multiple times, suggests they were doing it intentionally.

If it was an R33 I would not bat an eye, if it was a Gemini I would be shocked it held together.

Really a meaningless post without knowing the type of boat.

admiralslater 17-10-2019 08:02

On my pdq 36 I can definitely tell when the hull is getting light . It generally happens when we are racing. I usually have crew on the main sheet and traveller if I am worried.
The weather hull just kissing is the best speed

Cadence 17-10-2019 14:42

Type of cat? I've never had one but a couple of tris. I've flown an ama once more than what made me comfortable. Cam cleats for the sheets for when your blood pressure goes up.

conchaway 17-10-2019 15:08

You better watch it, buddy. The moderators don't tolerate disparaging of catamarans here, and therefore, neither do I.

peter57 17-10-2019 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by conchaway (Post 2998621)
You better watch it, buddy. The moderators don't tolerate disparaging of catamarans here, and therefore, neither do I.

Yeah! He has it wrong it was two Mono's lashed together.

Training Wheels 17-10-2019 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter57 (Post 2998651)
Yeah! He has it wrong it was two Mono's lashed together.

A Wharram?

tomfl 17-10-2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by conchaway (Post 2998621)

OP has a cat; a Schionning Waterline 1480. A really nice cat IMHO. I doubt he disparaging catamarans; rather questioning the wisdom of flying a hull under the conditions at the time.

peter57 17-10-2019 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Training Wheels (Post 2998684)
A Wharram?

I haven't heard of too many Wharram's lifting a hull, which is to me the only time it is enjoyable sailing cats.