Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42   #1

Nautitec Cats ?

Hi all looking at Nautitech cats at the moment any views Please
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Have only sailed one - the 44 and only for one day. I was very impressed with the build and systems quality, it seemed to perform well in the breeze we had and was an exceedingly delightful boat to be on, I particularly like the owners cabin approach.

Not so impressed with the anchor and chain being in the port bow.

A lot of people I talk to have an issue with the helms being on the extreme ends of the boat. Provided you are looking at the 44 or bigger, I dont think its a major issue, the exposed helms are great for docking and good for getting a good view of the sails but are very exposed, having said that, thats why auto helms were invented.

I suppose what I am saying is that I saw enough on that one sail to induce me to go back for another look if i was in the market for a new cat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:26   #3

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I looked at some nutitechs a week ago and didn't like how they had the wheel at the very very back of the boat it would make me feel like i was falling off not to meention poor acess to the lines and cabin, what if there was a storm and you had to be at the wheel?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:24   #4

Put a pulpit and another chair on it if thats the only thing you didnt like so much. You have more space with this concept if you compare to a lagoon 420 or F-P.

I like the wood interior in the 44, much nicer than f-p and lagoon.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 23:54   #5

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
you could do that but i'm not very tall so I prefer to be close to the lines and the main cabin, although i like the wood also.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Nautitec Cats ?

I'm going to revive this thread because I have some strong opinions about the Nautitech 44 and am interested in seeing what others think.

I delivered one a few years ago in foul weather. The performance and handling characteristics of the boat under power and sail were fine, but there were a number of other "features" which I, and the other experienced delivery captain aboard, strongly disliked. Here they are:

- Aft Helms. Absolutely no protection from the weather at the helm, poor visibility forward when docking (I had to post crew on the opposite bow as a lookout) -- opposite bow is totally obscured, awkward to access engine controls (need arms about 4 feet long), a very short distance to being overboard off the stern.

- Anchor arrangement. Absolutely the worst arrangement I have ever used. It is almost impossible to deploy or retrieve the anchor without banging it against the bow. This boat was a charter boat and the bow was badly beat-up, the charter company attempted to mitigate the issue by affixing stainless rub rails on the bow, but even those were getting damaged. Also, the installation assumes that your windlass is in good working order, if your windlass should fail then, due to the very close quarters of this install, handling the ground tackle by hand is going to be very inconvenient and potentially dangerous.

- "Sun roof" in hard top Bimini. Rainwater builds up around the tracks of this "sun roof" and dumps into the cockpit each time boat rolls a bit...inevitable at the moment you are walking below it!

- Holding Tank Storage. Gravity dump holding tanks are good idea, but mounting them and their storage area so close behind the head that you have to put your head between your knees to sit on the toilet is not!

Because of these annoying features, this is the only boat I have ever sailed that I just flat don't like. The other captain aboard agreed.

This boat received Boat of The Year awards which to me totally discredited this publicity circus. Apparently the awarding magazine was too busy cashing the advertising check to bother actually sailing the boat!

A few pics attached of my "favorite" features.

Other opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4170013.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	38274   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4170021.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	38275  

Name:	P4170015.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	38276   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4170011.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	38277  

Name:	P4170009.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	38278   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4170016.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	38279  

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 20:41   #7
Marine Service Provider

They look a little like an FP from the distance. Any relationship there?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
They look a little like an FP from the distance. Any relationship there?
None that I know of, but the general hull shape is similar. Could be a fine platform if you could get the bare hull before they screwed it up with these bad ideas. I think the BOTY award called these features "innovative".

Another reason the anchor locker arrangement is a bad idea: it puts all the weight of your ground tackle far forward in the port hull. This would certainly concern me in heavy weather. Just add up the weight of good sized anchor (40-50 lbs) plus 200 feet of chain. Bad idea to put that much weight out in the very tip of one bow.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09   #9

I saw a Nautitech at the Miami Sail Show and didn't much like the interior or the layout. Don't want to disrespect the boats, as I'm sure there are some great things about it. Just didn't work for me.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Director G View Post
I saw a Nautitech at the Miami Sail Show and didn't much like the interior or the layout. Don't want to disrespect the boats, as I'm sure there are some great things about it. Just didn't work for me.
I didn't get to spend much time below, but plenty at those exposed helms!

On a positive note, the interior finish work was quite nice.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

FWIW, They now offer most or all of their boats in a single or double helm configuration. Such as the 441 or 442.
Also, Nautitechs past was associated with other brands. They produced some daggerboard cats in partnership with Catana and Dufour. Still had those rear helms but were more speedy then what they do now. Just thought you'd like to know.
Old 29-09-2013, 19:50   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I'm going to revive this thread because I have some strong opinions about the Nautitech 44 and am interested in seeing what others think.

I delivered one a few years ago in foul weather. The performance and handling characteristics of the boat under power and sail were fine, but there were a number of other "features" which I, and the other experienced delivery captain aboard, strongly disliked. Here they are:

- Aft Helms. Absolutely no protection from the weather at the helm, poor visibility forward when docking (I had to post crew on the opposite bow as a lookout) -- opposite bow is totally obscured, awkward to access engine controls (need arms about 4 feet long), a very short distance to being overboard off the stern.

- Anchor arrangement. Absolutely the worst arrangement I have ever used. It is almost impossible to deploy or retrieve the anchor without banging it against the bow. This boat was a charter boat and the bow was badly beat-up, the charter company attempted to mitigate the issue by affixing stainless rub rails on the bow, but even those were getting damaged. Also, the installation assumes that your windlass is in good working order, if your windlass should fail then, due to the very close quarters of this install, handling the ground tackle by hand is going to be very inconvenient and potentially dangerous.

- "Sun roof" in hard top Bimini. Rainwater builds up around the tracks of this "sun roof" and dumps into the cockpit each time boat rolls a bit...inevitable at the moment you are walking below it!

- Holding Tank Storage. Gravity dump holding tanks are good idea, but mounting them and their storage area so close behind the head that you have to put your head between your knees to sit on the toilet is not!

Because of these annoying features, this is the only boat I have ever sailed that I just flat don't like. The other captain aboard agreed.

This boat received Boat of The Year awards which to me totally discredited this publicity circus. Apparently the awarding magazine was too busy cashing the advertising check to bother actually sailing the boat!

A few pics attached of my "favorite" features.

Other opinions?
belizesailor has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Thanks though
Old 30-04-2019, 05:12   #13

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
belizesailor has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Thanks though
Revived again. Having a survey on a 441 today. No sunroof in hardtop and one raised helm. I plan to remove the toilet 1 of the 4 heads and install a holding tank in its place with a small washing machine on a shelf above it, and install a dedicated shower in that room. That solves 3 of the issues. As far as the anchor goes any solution is not quite as simple. I was thinking a line with a float to mark the anchor position might allow me to use the line to keep the anchor from banging the hull. Will have to try it and report back.
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 15:45   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRehab View Post
Revived again. Having a survey on a 441 today. No sunroof in hardtop and one raised helm. I plan to remove the toilet 1 of the 4 heads and install a holding tank in its place with a small washing machine on a shelf above it, and install a dedicated shower in that room. That solves 3 of the issues. As far as the anchor goes any solution is not quite as simple. I was thinking a line with a float to mark the anchor position might allow me to use the line to keep the anchor from banging the hull. Will have to try it and report back.
CaptRehab - let us know how you've fared with the anchor issue...
JESSWILLMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 16:46   #15

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)

The anchor is still an issue. First order was to replace the damaged roller. now I need to extend the roller out so the chain does not destroy the new roller. Still a problem. Will have to wait until after hurricane season before I will get to test the modified roller
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote