Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 15:59   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
How do you run two anchors?

Hey all,
For those who run two anchors, whats your preference on how to do it?

Specifically:
- How are you storing your second anchor?
- If the secondary anchor is run from the bow, how is each anchor attached to the bridle?
- How do you deal with avoid twist? Mitigating twist once its happened?
- Any issue keeping rode out of the underwater appendages? (dagger board, rudder, etc)
- Setting them
- Unsetting them
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 16:10   #2

Re: How do you run two anchors?

One in the boat, and one deployed! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 18:30   #3

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I'm with cheech. only one anchor out at a time - but be sure to have a spare, preferably several.

once you get into multiple anchors, all kinds of weird things happen - giving rise to the questions (And more) that you ask. much better to have one, reliable, bulletproof, as-big-as-you-can-bloody-handle system I think. Once it's down, you sleep well, every time.

I'll admit there are some situations - very few - where a second anchor is a good idea. unfortunately that is rarely where I see 2 anchors being used!

YMMV...
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 18:35   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Recently deployed a stern anchor off the port quarter to keep me from swinging into shallows if the wind changed. Used the dinghy to drop & retrieve it. It's a PIA, but doable if needed.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 18:42   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We run 3 anchors. A 110Lb Bruce, a 66Lb CQR, a 66Lb Fisherman.

One on the bow and the rest lashed on deck for if and when.

One bow Rope/chain rode in reserve and one identical in the stern.

Get a big-ass last-resort anchor for your main one. Use the others if and when. Trust me using 2 at the same time all the time is a PITA especially if those around you are on one...
Old 15-05-2015, 18:42   #6

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Yep, you don't. Never two off the bow. There are a few anchorages in French Polynesia like Hiva-oa where you need to run one off the stern as is so tight no one can swing.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 22:10   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
How do you run two anchors?

There are a couple of different kinds of moors that you would normally run for different reasons.

Your bow anchor is your heavy primary on your longest rode, and if you have a power capstan, that's the one you use it with. It can be any type you prefer.

Your secondary anchor needs to be light enough to haul up manually, which in my opinion means it should be an appropriately sized Fortress with mud-palms. While they're not the best for all situations, they have the most setting power for weight of any anchor. Your secondary rode can be half the length of your primary.

Be CERTAIN that you are anchoring the same way as everyone else, since the all the boats in the anchorage need to move together. There are quite a few anchorages in So Cal and Baja that require a fore-aft moor, and we are as likely to deploy two anchors as one.

If you are alone and have enough room, prefer a single point anchor as there's less stress. All two-point moors put tidal and wave forces somewhat abeam, and they're more likely to drag a little.

Single bow anchor moors typically use a 7:1 scope, no less than 5:1, and more than 10:1 provides no further advantage. Your primary rode should be at least 10x the maximum depth you will ever need to anchor in.

If you have a light, high windage boat that hunts a lot on anchor, try single anchoring from the stern, and then putting a patch of RF jib out. That will minimize hunting. Stern anchoring is simply done off either stern cleat or a bridle off both stern cleats. Use a typical cleat knot (with a locking loop) and finish the bitter end with a hitch to something nearby to keep it from working loose.

Tight anchorages often require a fore-and-aft moor, which is easily set. Start with whichever end will be deepest, and deploy the bow and primary heavier anchor with the longer rode here. Back down towards the shallower end (where you will deploy your stern anchor) as you pay out at least a 1:10 scope. Check your set by motoring against it. At the 1:10 or more scope point, deploy the stern anchor off either side stern cleat. You can use a bridle if you'd like, but I've never found it to be necessary. Move forward again, paying out the stern rode to at least 5:1 while your partner or capstan takes up the bow rode. When you come to the end of the stern rode, you're balanced between the two anchors. Anchoring accomplished. Weighing anchor is the opposite--pay out the bow anchor in order to motor over the stern anchor, take up the stern and then go forward to take up the primary anchor.

A Bahamian moor is two anchors off the bow. You set it the same way as a fire-aft moor, except that the second anchor is deployed off the bow. Use a Bahamian moor when you're anchoring anywhere with a large tidal flow, as it allows the boat to reverse directions so the bow faces the current, but does not allow the boat to swing very far. The anchors are set in the direction of the current flow, not across it. The problem with a Bahamian moor is that the two rodes will get twisted together after a few rotations, which is a huge hassle. You can solve that by deploying the second anchor on a bridle between the forward and mid ships cleats, so that the anchor attaches a few feet behind the bow. This won't prevent the boat from rotating with the tide, but it ensures that it will rotate back out the correct direction and won't become twisted, or if it does, it's the bridle that's fouled, and you can just detach the second anchor rode and then un-foul the bridle.

There's also a three-point variant of the Bahamian moor, two points off the bow and one off the stern. I'm not sure what it's for and I've never set one.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 08:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

My preferred method of using two anchors is to melt them both and recast them as a single bigger anchor of a better design.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:12   #9

I set two anchors sometimes, but always the second one off the stern. Normally this is to keep the boat from swinging out into a dangerous area. Fairly common along the ICW where anchorages can be pretty tight.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:27   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have to agree with most of prior posts. I normally use a 30 lb CQR with 250 ft of chain for my primary. I will soon be upgrading my windlass and will use a 45 lb CQR with 200 ft of 5/16" chain backed with 100 ft of 5/8" 8 plaits line.

My second anchor is a Fortress FX23 attached to 60ft of 5/16" chain and 200 ft of 8 plaite.

The third anchor on board is a 40 lb danforth that I have not had to use. All the anchors are at least one size larger than recommended.

I like a good nights sleep and the only place I've ever anchored where I take only catnaps is the Dry Tortugas. Holding can be terrible. A thin layer of sand over rock.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 09:43   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Mostly, don't do it. Get the largest "new generation" anchor you and your boat's anchoring system can reasonably manage. Use all-chain with a good snubber. Set t properly every time and sleep well 95% of the time.

A Bahamian moor is useful in zones where a 180 switch in wind or tide is known, or when you want to limit swing. A stern anchor can be useful for a variety of tight situations. I used to deploy two anchors occasionally on the same rode back when I was using a CQR as our main, using the second as a kellet.

Of course, in storm situations the calculations are different. But for normal anchoring two anchors are simply not needed if your bower gear is correct.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 16-05-2015, 10:50   #12

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

The question was not 'why' one runs two anchors folks. The reality is that sometimes it is a necessary evil in certain anchorages. Knowing how other folks do it isn't going to hurt you even if you choose to never anchor anywhere that necessitates it.

mstrebe (matt) - You are the man. Little tricks like setting the second bridle further back for a bohemian are awesome.

Other tricks for how to make the best of it?
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:05   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaak View Post
The question was not 'why' one runs two anchors folks. The reality is that sometimes it is a necessary evil in certain anchorages.

The "why" is important. How a secondary anchor is deployed depends on what you are trying to achieve.

There are very good reasons to deploy a second anchor. Common uses are:

To keep your bow pointed into the swell.

To reduce the swinging room.

To reduce shearing or yawing.

Each of these situations requires a different deployment technique.

Unfortunately, it is common to see a secondary anchor used where the primary anchor has (or is thought to have) inadequate holding power. Some routinely use two anchors to increase holding power in only moderate conditions .

I think some of the members posting in this thread are suggesting that if this latter reason is the case then a switch to a better primary anchor is preferable to mucking about with two under-performing anchors .

It is very hard to even out the force on two anchors so in practice the increase in holding power from two anchors is quite marginal.

It is important to understand what you are trying to achieve with the second anchor. If you could outline the aim of deploying two anchors it would help narrow down the answers.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:15   #14

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaak View Post
The question was not 'why' one runs two anchors folks. The reality is that sometimes it is a necessary evil in certain anchorages. Knowing how other folks do it isn't going to hurt you even if you choose to never anchor anywhere that necessitates it.

mstrebe (matt) - You are the man. Little tricks like setting the second bridle further back for a bohemian are awesome.

Other tricks for how to make the best of it?

You have a cat, Matt a mono. Ok so if you really want to do it make sure you have an empty 1 gallon oil jug on board. When you wake up in the morning broadside to a 3 knot current with the second anchor lead from the bow back around your sail drive, rudder or prop skeg and then 90 degrees up current with the forces pulling on that appendage tie the oil jug to the bitter end of the anchor road and stand back as it whips out. The oil jug being somewhat flexible and relatively soft will not mar your hull and should lead you to recover you second anchor.
Then you will have learnt for yourself why you were given the advice not to use two off the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 12:28   #15

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

“Most boaters should never have cause for tandem anchoring. Your primary anchor should be sized so that it is adequate on its own in practically all conditions – if it is not, then upgrade. [The tandem anchoring] functionality is provided for those more ‘extreme’ adventurers who require it.”

–*Rocna Anchors User’s Guide

But if you want to this article will shot you how to do it both ways.

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-an...-anchoring.php

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor