Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 21:35   #46

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Re: galley down

From my limited experience, I like the galley down. The PDQ Antares galley down is great. And I agree that most of the cats under 45ish range, the galleys seem cramped in the Up position. I do not have a dog in the "fight", just my observation. I've also spent a month on a Gemini coming down from Annapolis to the Keys and found the boat to be cramped for me (6'3") everywhere except the galley. After checking out many cats at boat show">Miami boat show over the years, I really prefer the galley down. But as you all know, personal preference reigns supreme
Old 31-12-2013, 06:10   #47
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Wow Cotemar, putting the Hulls are for Heads and Beds in bold and capitals may make it seem like the 11th commandment, but it isn't. Like your galley-up, my galley-down is not beside a head compartment. Unlike your galley-up, my galley down:
- has substantial dedicated counter space
- has substantial storage space for not only food supplies, but pots/pans/plates/cooking untensils etc.
- provides proper bracing for the cook in a seaway
-keeps weight low for stability

While it does not have a pass-through to the cockpit to permit direct conversation with the helmsperson in heavy conditions, such is difficult anyway in boats, such as yours, where the helmsperson is elevated above the cockpit. What the galley-down does permit, however, is space for a full-size nav station with seat by the companionway door - something which is far more valuable, IMO, to both the helmsperson and crew on longer passages when navigating, making log entries, using the SSB etc.

Don't get me wrong - I think that your Mahe 36 is a brilliant design for the size and its intended use. If my intended use did not include offshore passages and periods living aboard, I too would prefer a galley-up: the convenience for catering to and socializing with those in the cockpit would likely overcome all other considerations.

If I were able to afford a boat large enough to have bridgedeck space sufficient to permit a large galley-up in a U-shaped configuration (for bracing) and a full size nav station with seat, I too would likely prefer that arrangement. However, even then I would not be prepared to suggest that there is no debate possible - that the Hulls are for Heads and Beds.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:05   #48

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

cotemar... I think what happens is that not everyone is in the same situation. perhaps you are doing a lot of entertaining, or have a lot of guests. it is just my husband and I... we have no children... and I doubt we will have many.. if ANY guests... we are quiet, private people... it just seems a huge waste to me to have an entire hull completely unused.. especially when you are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars... plus.. since it's just the two of us.. it's nice to be able to 'get away' to your own space.. such as the kitchen, every once and a while...

But I do understand your situation might be completely different. What I've noticed is that with the galley down... There is a much bigger salon.. and in most of the boats we've looked at.. that provides more living space.. and usually a nice entertainment center...

Plus.. I LOVE to cook... and I have yet to see a 'galley up' in any boats in our size range that compares in storage and counter space to a galley down.. it actually seems like a real kitchen... anyway.. just my humble opinion...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:16   #49

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Scarlet,
Very good points. You got me on cooking as I do not cook. I have to call the fire department to get permission to boil water.

I started a poll in the multihull section, so everyone can chime in on why they like galley-up or galley-down, so that may be interesting to see why everyone is so passionate about what they have and why they have it.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1427839
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:54   #50
CF Adviser

Cotemar, I fully expect that the majority will prefer a galley-up as they:

1. Own such a configuration (lets face it, it is and has been by far the most common layout over the last 15 years).
2. Do not liveaboard/sail on extended passages.
3. Have only sailed a cat on a bareboat charter.

The simple fact is that a galley-down will remain the exception rather than the rule as for most sailors (who do not live aboard/sail on extended passages/love cooking aboard), it is probably the best option.

Brad
Old 31-12-2013, 11:04   #51

Boat: Leopard 40

We live-aboard and cook all the time for guests while travelling to the Keys and Bahamas. We looked extensively at cats for 6 years or so at the boat show and not once did either of us consider a galley down. Just not a layout that works for us with guests. My husband does the cooking and I do the baking. I love my galley up but we are a little larger at 40' and the kitchen is a U-shape so feels very secure underway.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:37   #52
CF Adviser

Shaktgurl, IMO the Leopard 40 has one of the better designs for a galley-up on a 40 foot catamaran: as you point out, it is U-shaped so as to provide some bracing when underway and, while it has less counter/storage space than most galley-down arrangements, it is certainly better than most galley-up arrangements on boats of her size.

Does yours have the front load refrigeration/freezer unit below the chart table? If so, do you miss having a full size sit-down chart table/nav station? Do you find having the refrigeration units outside of the galley itself an inconvenience, or just a boon to serving refreshments to those in the cockpit?

Brad
Old 31-12-2013, 12:09   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Does yours have the front load refrigeration/freezer unit below the chart table? If so, do you miss having a full size sit-down chart table/nav station? Do you find having the refrigeration units outside of the galley itself an inconvenience, or just a boon to serving refreshments to those in the cockpit?

Brad

We do have the fridge/freezer below the nav station. We have never really had a sit down nav station ( our mono is a Hunter 30T) so I guess it isn't something we felt we needed. When using charts we end up putting them on the dining table and sitting there. We just pass food from the fridge to the kitchen or dining table as needed. What we do miss is a third burner for cooking so we got an induction plate and often cook things outside on it and/or grill. I do wish we had more cabinet or pantry like space as good part of the food storage is under the seat cushions. This is because of other "goodies" my husband insisted we needed in the galley ( like an ice maker). For us the layout works well and preserves the privacy of the guest rooms and head, which was important to us.
Old 31-12-2013, 13:28   #54

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Galley Down

Ill chime in here to. For me galley down was a deal breaker. Other deal breakers are athwartship berths, engines under bunks, more than two heads. Here is my list of things we have given up and gained in the galley up configuration.

GIVEN UP
1. Counter space. The leopard has a duel level counter but I would like more.
2. Cabinet space. Like the gurl said it can be a pita to get under the seats but the volume is more than we need.
3. The Salon space is defiantly smaller than a galley down arrangement, so to make the space seem larger we enclosed the cockpit with a beautiful clear to see enclosure, this effectively tripled our salon area living space.
4. Dedicated nav station. I typically use the chart table standing up. I can do most functions in a matter of minutes anyway so this hasn't been a real issue.

GAINED
1. More space for my personal stuff in the owners hull.
2. A study that can double as a nav station
3. Privacy on the owners side, no guest need to disturb us on a midnight fridge raid. This means we can leave our cabin doors open and the forward and aft hatches open for good ventilation, but still have the privacy door isolate us from the rest of the boat.
4. Maybe its just me but galley up for me seems to balance the boat aesthetically if not in reality. While I'm sure the CG has moved up it has also moved towards the centerline with the fridge port and the stove starboard . I am very conscience about loading, and try hard to keep everything balanced.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 15:39   #55

Community Sponsor

We have a full size nav. station the same size as we had on our Catalina 380. We normally have a full size chair in front of it. This picture shows our 2000 watt Honda sitting where the chair normally sits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahe 36 Saloon.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	73090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahe 36 Saloon Nav station.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	73091  

Old 31-12-2013, 15:59   #56

Very nice Cotemar! A Mahe was on our short-list. I really like that boat.
Old 31-12-2013, 16:10   #57

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Very nice Cotemar! A Mahe was on our short-list. I really like that boat.
That is so funny, as we wanted a Leopard 40, but a new one was out of our price range at the time. We had charted the Leopard 40 in the BVI and absolutely loved it.

Now the wife is talking FP Helia 44, but will have to save a few more penny for that move.
Old 01-01-2014, 00:45   #58

When I was building our boat I asked my wife whether she wanted the galley up or down. We discussed it, and she decided she wanted it down.

Now, after living aboard and cruising full-time for nearly 4 years she was recently asked if we were building a bigger boat, where bridgedeck space would allow for as big a galley as we have, would she prefer galley up? Her answer was no, she still would opt for galley down.

To me, it's not a deal breaker, but I've seen boats of the same design as ours with the galley up, and they certainly have to compromise on both saloon and galley space compared to ours.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Having spent the last seven months living aboard the He'lia 44 we have found the u shaped galley with a serve through area to our main dining area in the cockpit works well. Leaving the large lounge/ salon area as a very user friendly lounge area. Storage in this galley is huge also allowing for under bench freezer.This galley also allows for two to work in the same area, something we found not possible or easy on the galley down boats we have sailed on.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:50   #60

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Love the galley on our new Leopard 38, just about same layout as the 40. Lots of space. I will say our smaller 32' Ami has a decent galley up with great storage but not as much counter space as a galley down but plenty for cooking for 4-6.
Some cats w galley down not mentioned are
PDQ32 & 36, Privilige 37& 39.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley