Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 13:44   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Galley Down

Can someone recommend some catamarans that have a "galley down" configuration? I already know about the Gemini (love the design but too small). For just the 2 of us as a live-aboard it seems to be a better use of space.. but I'm having a hard time finding boats with that configuration.. especially new builds... why is everyone so attached to the galley up?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 13:50   #2

Re: galley down

Tomcat & Mainecat
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 13:50   #3

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I have an EndeavourCat 36 with the galley down. We like the configuration and the boat in general. My guy is very tall and likes to cook. Tons of headroom in this boat. I'm sure they would build you a new one if you liked, but they are mostly building bigger powercats now, apparently only "to order". There were several used ones for sale last year, but right now I think there is only one 36 sailcat on yachtworld, in Virginia.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 13:52   #4

Antares 44i has galley down set-up.
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:46   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Two more:

Older Lagoon 47.

Privilege 44.

Re up vs down:

Galley down in many ways is more like a typical monohull galley. Most folks prefer galley up for several reasons (generally the inverse of why they don't like galley down).

Social. Those cooking are not isolated down in the hull. Inversely with a galley down you can work uninterrupted and don't have galley mess essentially in the main salon.

Stability Underway. A galley up, depending a bit design, is closer to the meta-center of the boat and thus has less motion than one further outboard in a hull.

View/Sea sickness. Galley up typically has a good all round view and most are less prone to get sea sick while working in the galley.

Ventilation. Galley ups are typically better ventilated.

Traffic flow. Most galley downs are mid ships so you have to pass thru the galley going fore and aft. Galley ups typically don't obstruct traffic flow thru the boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: galley down

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Can someone recommend some catamarans that have a "galley down" configuration? I already know about the Gemini (love the design but too small). For just the 2 of us as a live-aboard it seems to be a better use of space.. but I'm having a hard time finding boats with that configuration.. especially new builds... why is everyone so attached to the galley up?
Because it would cost you either a head or a fore/aft cabin.. also many dislike food smells in the bedroom..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:57   #7

Older lagoon 42. Huge Galley. I like the galley down also. Who wants all that mess up in the living room? haha.... in the tropics we use the BBQ more than t he stove anyway.
There was room on that counter next to the sink to filet a 54" dorado! Those are cupboard doors behind the counter/sink.... and storage under.
stove, refrig and pantry are across.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LagoonGalley.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	72807  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:59   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Seawinds have galley down
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 16:06   #9

oh.. these are some good options.. and, from some quick price checks... I think at least a few of them are close to what I want to spend... wonderful!!
Old 27-12-2013, 16:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Seawinds have galley down
But not all of them.... Galley up is an option on the larger models.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 19:12   #11

I think one of the reasons I really like the galley down.. is that.. with it just being the two of us... it seems a shame to waste the space of one whole hull... we wouldn't even use the bedrooms and head on that side of the boat... So, with the galley down there.. we utilize that space, and end up with a bit more space in the salon..

it's interesting that I've been looking for months, and have just heard about "endeavourcat".. "mainecat" and "tomcat"... I did not know the Antares had a galley down as well.. I really love this forum.. very useful, indeed!!
Old 27-12-2013, 19:33   #12

oh my... I have been looking at the antares 44i... what a beautiful boat.. but, it appears, even used, it is way outside my price range....
Old 27-12-2013, 20:37   #13

Boat: Prout 46

Prout 46. The galley is down but not hidden below. The galley in a Prout 46 shares the same ceiling as the salon which not only gives the cook over 7 feet of headroom, but visual access to the people in the main salon. See photos on Yachtworld. The Perry 43 also has a similar layout. The advantages of galley down are:
1. A bigger salon and bridge deck because it is not shared with the galley.
2. A bigger galley because it is not shared with the salon.
3. The hull provides a naturally better galley configuration because of counter space on each side of the walk through.
4. It keeps the galley (cooking, dirty dishes, etc.) out of sight of the salon.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 06:22   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
oh my... I have been looking at the antares 44i... what a beautiful boat.. but, it appears, even used, it is way outside my price range....
Yes, very well designed and built boat, but spendy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 07:47   #15

Oh, that Prout is a beautiful boat!! I found a used one (1999) for $390,000... not bad considering the size, and the beautiful details.....

Tags
galley