Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 18:25   #31

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38
Re: Fountaine pajot athena

My moisture meter didn't show that. How far forward does the foam extend?
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 18:35   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

It is to where the bulkhead is. I have seen this problem on an Athena and one of the 44 ft models. I don't think that it is closed cell foam and the culprit is the screws attaching the boarding ladder and more likely the rub rail. If the boat was kept light enough to keep the rub rail out of the water then you might be okay but the ladder screws can still leak...
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 18:41   #33

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38

Ok thanks. I'll take a closer look
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 01:53   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I thought that the FP Osmosis problems are not affecting the older models built with a hand but only the newer infusion moulded boats?
Hi Rabbi, if that question was directed to me I must confess I'm by no means an expert or knowledgeable on the matter. Having browsed through a few searched threads on this forum I saw one post suggesting the opposite:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post521045

For the OP regarding his interest on the Athena model, I read about less issues with the Athena, as opposed to the Lavezzi which has had loads of blister and osmosis troubles. Quite a few threads out there.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:41   #35

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Hi Rabbi, if that question was directed to me I must confess I'm by no means an expert or knowledgeable on the matter. Having browsed through a few searched threads on this forum I saw one post suggesting the opposite:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post521045

For the OP regarding his interest on the Athena model, I read about less issues with the Athena, as opposed to the Lavezzi which has had loads of blister and osmosis troubles. Quite a few threads out there.
I am not questioning the fact that FP had (or still have?) trouble with their infusion process. We owned a lovely little Mahe that was treated at age 2 or 3 under warranty.

The thread you linked mentions these osmosis issues particularly with infusion moulded designs.
But the Athena is an older design build manually in wet layup and should not be affected by infusion related trouble
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 00:40   #36
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I bought the last Athena to be built in April 2006 ,I've done expensive upgrades including cutting holes in text to front patches on cutting a hole in the lower deck near the keep for transducer ...the hull there is 1/2 in thick on the bottom of the hull
The deck where I put 2 hatchs had 3/16 glass then 1 inch foam then 3/16 glass
I did have 3 blisters on the top deck .
The foam used is not absorbing water
The tramp net I just replaced a few months ago

Among many other upgrades.

Rigging all looks good but going to replace it this winter
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 15:14   #37

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
One problem that I could pretty much guarantee that you will find is that the foam filled flotation chambers inside the stern steps will be completely waterlogged.
Ours were not, I had cut into the transoms when doing our transom extensions and for backing plates on our arch. Foam was dry on both sides I dug down a bit to make sure.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 15:16   #38

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I thought that the FP Osmosis problems are not affecting the older models built with a hand but only the newer infusion moulded boats?
I have seen blisters/ warts above the water on 04 Venezia, I've never seen it on a Athena anywhere.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 02:04   #39

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I have seen blisters/ warts above the water on 04 Venezia, I've never seen it on a Athena anywhere.
This blister issue is really a shame. Otherwise FP build very nice boats.

If one can get a used boat that has been treated under warranty it should hopefully be good for many years. Boats that have been in the water for a decade and have blisters are also good.
But personally I would be concerned about older FP that have been kept out of the water for 9 month a year. As soon as one changes this regime to 12month in the water blisters might show, and then its too late for warranty claims.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 09:48   #40

We are having the same problem with rotten stanchion bases on the Athena 38 we just bought. One broke the same day we signed the bill of sale. Does anyone have links on where to buy the replacements?
SVStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 17:02   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVStoke View Post
We are having the same problem with rotten stanchion bases on the Athena 38 we just bought. One broke the same day we signed the bill of sale. Does anyone have links on where to buy the replacements?
Yep, bad design and a very common problem (the Athenas are good old boats though). I dont know of any off the shelf replacements.

Maybe contact New Found Metals and see if they would be interesting in making some and adding to their product line.

The design is not complicated so any good machine shop should be able to make up replacements...and do a better job of addressing the dissimilar metals issue.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot