Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 06:21   #31

Re: Charter company claims we damage boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I'm assuming this is an internal part or is it the actual latch or hook from a sliding door.

Do you know what the part does?
Sorry, it is hard to take a picture of a hole and have it mean anything! Basically, the part of the sliding door that catches the latch (and locks the door) on the other side. It simply fell down about 3 inches. The part in my hand is presumably some type of bracket that held the catch in place.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 15:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
This thread is going a long way toward curing my desire to book a bareboat charter.
It's sad, but there are unscrupulous operators in many walks of life.

Car hire is another obvious example. Plenty of stories about people being charged for damage they didn't do.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 16:31   #33

The latch on our 2011 450F broke in 2015. It just wore out. We lock the boat every time we leave it, so the best time to report it would have been the moment it was discovered, because I would want it fixed or ask for another boat, how do you deter burglaries with a latch that doesn't work ? (On our own boat I riveted on a hasp for a padlock that sufficed until the latch was fixed). Years ago we chartered a L380 in Croatia, the boat was pretty ordinary, it's main anchor was a Danforth that dragged all the time, when we returned it to Dubrovnik it was blowing hard and they insisted they insert their own skipper to bring it into a fixed concreted dock. This guy managed to T bone the dock that sent a crack all the way down the bow to the waterline. Fortunately there was an American cruiser nearby who witnessed it all and took photos - so we did not get charged - I felt for the owner though, because I bet management company would not have told them and maybe tried to hive it off to the next people that took the boat.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 20:39   #34

Boat: 43 Mikelson

I always take my iPhone and video any rental car as I walk around inspecting it before we leave the lot. I verbally comment on any scratches etc and it I’d time stamped on your phone. Sometimes things you didn’t notice will be on the video.
My last charter in April in Tortola I did the same. We overnighted on the boat in the marina prior to the charter so parts of the group arriving from different flights could get settled.
I was especially careful because of the possibility of hull damage and hasty repairs after Irma.
By the time we had our checkout the next morning everyone had been aboard and slept in each of the four cabins so we were aware of most issues.
The charter company was very thorough in noting any deficiencies prior to our “check ride”. We had a captain with us as we left the dock, went across to Peter Island and picked up a mooring, bridled it etc. Then we anchored and bridled etc then returned to the marina to dock. He was making sure we knew what we were doing and that the boat performed the way it should.
When we returned, he had the charter company give us better dock lines as he thought they were inadequate.
We went through all the systems, generator, lights, gps ( not that you need one in the BVIs) but I was glad to see they cared for their boats that some owner has given them the responsibility to maintain.
When we returned after 8 days they went through another checklist. I don’t think it was as thorough because the boat was going out again that afternoon. We had returned early so one of our group could make his flight and they appreciated the extra time to “turn” the boat.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:24   #35

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaadventurers View Post
Here are the photos I took, but I’m not sure they are worth much. The first picture just shows the slot in the door where the catch is. It had fallen down into the slot. The second shows an aluminum piece that was removed from the latch and it is clearly broken.
Not sure how much help I can be but here is some background.

Three main types of sliding door lock. These terms are often used incorrectly to make a manufactures product sound stronger than it is.
  • Deadlock
  • Deadlatch
  • Latch
Deadlock
Regardless if the door is open or closed, when you lock it the hook, tongue or latch is held mechanically in the locked position and will not latch unless unlocked by key.

Deadlatch
The door can always be closed regardless if locked by key or not, the latch will catch in the strike when the door closes and usually by means of a secondary mechanism that is depressed when the door meets the frame the latch locks in the locked position and requires the key to open.

Latch
The latch holds the door closed but the latch is not locked at anytime.

If it is a deadlock the manufacturer would expect that the door may be closed by mistake on occasion with the latch locked and should design enough strength into the mechanism to withstand this. A residential standard lock will probably not withstand being slammed but should hold up for accidental closing.

If you contact the lock manufacturer and ask if the application of the lock is suitable for that design i.e. on a boat that rocks around and is likely to cause the door slam in rough weather. I suspect if you word your question correctly this manufacturer will not recommend the lock is used in that situation. If you do get an answer along those lines that may be all you need.

If it is a deadlatch or latch there is probably nothing you could do short of malicious abuse that can be the cause of a failure. So it is very likely to be substandard parts, wear and tear, improper application or misalignment with the strike. None of which are your responsibility.

The part in your hand looks like zinc die cast, not suitable for impact stresses and if that is the "hook" or latch then it is a cheap quality lock.
Old 12-07-2018, 18:42   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless View Post
I always take my iPhone and video any rental car as I walk around inspecting it before we leave the lot. I verbally comment on any scratches etc and it I’d time stamped on your phone. Sometimes things you didn’t notice will be on the video.
My last charter in April in Tortola I did the same. We overnighted on the boat in the marina prior to the charter so parts of the group arriving from different flights could get settled.
I was especially careful because of the possibility of hull damage and hasty repairs after Irma.
By the time we had our checkout the next morning everyone had been aboard and slept in each of the four cabins so we were aware of most issues.
The charter company was very thorough in noting any deficiencies prior to our “check ride”. We had a captain with us as we left the dock, went across to Peter Island and picked up a mooring, bridled it etc. Then we anchored and bridled etc then returned to the marina to dock. He was making sure we knew what we were doing and that the boat performed the way it should.
When we returned, he had the charter company give us better dock lines as he thought they were inadequate.
We went through all the systems, generator, lights, gps ( not that you need one in the BVIs) but I was glad to see they cared for their boats that some owner has given them the responsibility to maintain.
When we returned after 8 days they went through another checklist. I don’t think it was as thorough because the boat was going out again that afternoon. We had returned early so one of our group could make his flight and they appreciated the extra time to “turn” the boat.

Who did you charter with?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 08:22   #37

Boat: 43 Mikelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Who did you charter with?

We had nine aboard (3 kids) so I chartered a Leopard 51 powercat from Virgin Motors in Nanny Cay.
They were very organized considering everything that had happened with the two hurricanes.
I had arranged the charter prior to Irma and initially when I saw videos of all the destruction I let them know I was going to postpone until 2019 because I didn’t want our young grandkids to see that as their first impression of the BVIs.
I let them keep my deposit to help them out.
After seeing the progress and knowing they need tourists to return we decided to keep our April 2018 dates.
It was a great experience. Only Cane Garden Bay was omitted as there was still much construction noise.
Everyone was so glad we went.
I was amazed at the fact that nearly every boat sail or motor was a multihull. So different than the last time I was there a few years ago.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 11:58   #38

What was the company? None of the normal wear and tear was ever charged from me on any charters ( Sunsail/Moorings/DYC ) all very professional and respectful that regard. Only time I was charged damage was $180 my own fault and I thought was gona cost me much more... ( scratched the side taking off the marina with cross wind )
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 04:20   #39

Boat: Leopard 38 Catamaran

Since this isn't your first rodeo, foolish move on their part, they've just lost a repeat customer I believe . Social media reviews can be unkind as well, good luck!
louielouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 06:49   #40

Last time I rented a car, I was told to take a picture of any damage found when I picked it up with my cell phone. The cell phone will have a time stamp and will prove your claim..
Luwiluwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:29   #41

Boat: 1985 Marinette, Sedan, 29.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Presumably they had a hold on your credit card? Challenge it with your credit card company. They will often come down on your side. In the mean time, to support your claim, ask them for a copy of the invoice for the replacement lock. If they don't have one, it will support your claim to your CC company.
The credit card company may refund your money but the charter company will turn you over to collection. Happened to me with a Uhaul rental last year. By the way, Uhaul is a scumbag company with rundown equipment. Every time I rent from them my credit card # gets stolen. They have terrible customer service.....sorry had to get that plug in.
tundrarules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:53   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwiluwi View Post
Last time I rented a car, I was told to take a picture of any damage found when I picked it up with my cell phone. The cell phone will have a time stamp and will prove your claim..
I always take pictures and even some videos. I've been chartering since the mid 80s with absolutely no problems with the charter company even though a couple of boats had a bunch of minor, and even comical issues. ( cabinet doors and door knobs that fall off etc) I've also discovered missing stuff once underway like no chart in the chart tube. (Who checks THAT?)

I did have an issue with a rental car company after damage was discovered UNDER the car that I did not catch with my camera. Thankfully the damage was previously recorded by the same company at a different location. But still sucked to be accused and held liable for damage I did not do.
Old 16-07-2018, 07:53   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

I have informations of a lot of charters and I only heard of one uncomfortable situation with a charter company. Well the skip broke something himself and.. well the price was point 1.5 to high.

usually all charter companies accept minor damages resulting in usage or if this is on your side I would think of around 50 €. That is what the companies usually charge for minor damages like this.

What I would definitively do is placing warnings NOT to charter with this company.
And I do not know of a blacklist - unfortunately.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:49   #44

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by calin1967 View Post
I've heard several stories like yours in Croatia, from minor things like gas bottles half empty, to cracks in the keel. A detailed inspection should be made at the beginning, including diving... or avoid chartering there.

A crack in the keel would require a haul out to detect!! I vote for "avoid chartering there"
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 09:23   #45

Boat: Corsair F-27f

Having chartered a lot as well, I say this is a rip off pure and simple. I’d suggest Publishing the company’s name and the individuals names , that will help the rest of us and perhaps keep them honest.
Saskatchewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter