Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 17:04   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Have you sailed the Gemini?

I've taken out a 105mc on a 8knot day, and a PDQ Altair on a 25 knot day; the PDQ pounded less and felt rock-solid.

Another issue is forward visibility. On the Gemini I felt I was steering while looking out a closet door, with 2 separate layers of windows and blind spots in front of me.

The Gemini has lots of pluses, a few things I even liked better, but in the end, not nearly enough. Do take a test drive. It's a lot of money to go by what we say.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 20:03   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I've taken out a 105mc on a 8knot day, and a PDQ Altair on a 25 knot day; the PDQ pounded less and felt rock-solid.

Another issue is forward visibility. On the Gemini I felt I was steering while looking out a closet door, with 2 separate layers of windows and blind spots in front of me.

The Gemini has lots of pluses, a few things I even liked better, but in the end, not nearly enough. Do take a test drive. It's a lot of money to go by what we say.
Actually I already have. Did a week on a 3400 back in October...and we even had a few REALLY windy days with some nice chop.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 20:07   #33
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
good luck
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:38   #34
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Grunster, I think thinwater's point was that you may also wish to test-sail a PDQ 32 for comparison purposes.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:25   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
It seems to me that over all, given the configuration, a cat would have more stresses placed on it structurally than a mono in aggressive seas.
I know that’s a very broad statement...but all things being equal is it the case?
Add to that that cats seem to be more sensitive to weight, necessitating a “lighter build”….could this be where the misconception of poor build quality comes from?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
It seems to me that over all, given the configuration, a cat would have more stresses placed on it structurally than a mono in aggressive seas.

Not according to recent history.

Google "The Queens Birthday Storm". Cats survived with little damage where every mono either sunk or was dismasted after multiple rolls. There were no injuries on any of the Cats.

It's one of the few documented storms (30 meter breaking seas) where boats of both types were at ground zero.

I will mention that both the Cats and monos involved in this tragedy were all blue water cruisers and have little in common with the Gemini being discussed in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Grunster, I think thinwater's point was that you may also wish to test-sail a PDQ 32 for comparison purposes.

Brad
How very diplomatic !!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
It seems to me that over all, given the configuration, a cat would have more stresses placed on it structurally than a mono in aggressive seas...
Catamaran engineering is more challenging than monohull engineering, because they (Cat's) are more complex structures.
Some of the loads unique to the catamaran, primarily in the cross-structure connecting the two hulls, are the wave-induced loads (transverse vertical bending moments, axial force, shear, and torsion moments). The cross-structure is unique to the multihull, so these loads don’t act upon a mono’.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:31   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

Brad
Ohhhhh!!!

Well maybe.

But NJ is already expensive. At least the Gem will fit in a slip.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:02   #39
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Grunster, the PDQ Altair's beam is only 16 feet. Typically, you can fit into a slip that is designed for a 40 foot powerboat and avoid the double dockage charges. In any event, if beam under 15 feet is your principle criteria, then you are pretty much limited to the Gemini.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:39   #40

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
If your going to live aboard for a few years and limit yourself to coastal cruising you should consider looking at an endeavourcat 34 or 36 on the used market. They are a bit boxy looking but sail well. They are well built. I have a 44 but that includes about 4 feet of steps on the transom. The 36's and 34's don't have the extended steps so you get usable space. An endeavourcat 30 just made a successful crossing of the Pacific to Australia so they can do blue water, though it may have been more luck than a blue water design. There is a 1997 34 on the endeavourcat web site (www.endeavourcats.com), which is located in DC. By the way the beam is 15'.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 13:35   #41
cruiser

There's an Endeavour 30 in our Marina. All of us are envious of the full shower...and TUB in their starboard hull. Other than cavitation with the outboard, they seem to be very happy with this well built boat.
Old 10-12-2008, 14:30   #42

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The 34 and 36 Ft Endeavours use saildrives and have more bridgedeck clearance than the 30. Of course they're a bit bigger too. I've got 2 showers but no tub on my boat. I recently had a couple on board that have a Manta 42. They could not believe how much more room I had on my boat. I do have to suffer comments on what a nice condo I have, but I can live with that.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 14:48   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I did find an 18' slip for my 16' Altair. It took a little hunting.

Try a work boat type marina. Oyster boats are fat.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 15:11   #44

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Catamaran engineering is more challenging than monohull engineering, because they (Cat's) are more complex structures.
Some of the loads unique to the catamaran, primarily in the cross-structure connecting the two hulls, are the wave-induced loads (transverse vertical bending moments, axial force, shear, and torsion moments). The cross-structure is unique to the multihull, so these loads don’t act upon a mono’.
And catamarans don't have the stress of a few tonne of lead trying to tear the bottom out either.

Dave
Old 11-12-2008, 14:29   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If your going to live aboard for a few years and limit yourself to coastal cruising you should consider looking at an endeavourcat 34 or 36 on the used market. They are a bit boxy looking but sail well. They are well built. I have a 44 but that includes about 4 feet of steps on the transom. The 36's and 34's don't have the extended steps so you get usable space. An endeavourcat 30 just made a successful crossing of the Pacific to Australia so they can do blue water, though it may have been more luck than a blue water design. There is a 1997 34 on the endeavourcat web site (www.endeavourcats.com), which is located in DC. By the way the beam is 15'.
I have not heard that.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote