Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2006, 13:45   #46
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Well, yes and no. First off, I don't believe that many cats turn turtle. More often than not, when it occurs, it's a dagger board equipped cat that went over.

I maintain that modern cats are at least as safe as a monohull, but when we do read about one going over the monohull guys are all over us.

A Gemini 105 went over off the coast of Jacksonville FL this past summer, in a squall. He was caught with his lee board down. The newspaper made a bid deal about it as the boat washed up on shore. Made for great photos and headlines and gives cats a bad name. So, it's not me per se , making a big deal about it, it's the real world that does.

Rick in florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2006, 14:11   #47

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
He was caught with his lee board down
and was probably not in the cockpit. short handed and dagger boards are not a good mix.
Old 28-10-2006, 15:40   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
I maintain that modern cats are at least as safe as a monohull, but when we do read about one going over the monohull guys are all over us.

A Gemini 105 went over off the coast of Jacksonville FL this past summer, in a squall. He was caught with his lee board down. The newspaper made a bid deal about it as the boat washed up on shore. Made for great photos and headlines and gives cats a bad name.
Rick in florida
That happens. When a cat goes over there is something to photograph. With a mono, it's usually a tiny article on page 10 about a boat being overdue on passage, then weeks later it is presumed lost. No photo's, because there is nothing to photograph.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2006, 20:23   #49

You can bet that monos missing on passage did not capsize in a gust of wind. Maybe the fancy canting keel broke off or maybe rolled be a large steep breaking wave but not by wind.
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:47   #50

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
Boards are obviously a personal preference. If you are not sure you want them then you probably don't, however. My wife and I are laid back cruisers, we like getting there and enjoy a spirited sail but my line (not anyone elses) is drawn short of the dagger board mark. Some folks just don't want to manage an additional underbody appendage.

(and I certainly don't want more rig, I have to wait for almost all of the bridges already! :-)

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 18:48   #51
cruiser

Randy,

Good point. I've already made the point that Cats with daggerboards do require more crew attention, in exchange for better windward performance.

Upon reflection, I think the real problem is the inherent stability of a catamaran leads some folks to have a false sense of security. Lodesman, what I meant by my original comment was that when your boards are down, you Have to be near the mainsheet, not in the saloon having a drink.

Rick in Florida
Old 05-11-2006, 07:42   #52

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
... when your boards are down, you Have to be near the mainsheet, not in the saloon having a drink.

Rick in Florida
Rick, I couldn't agree more, but have to point out that perhaps it's not only the boards, but the wind and sea conditions that create the risks more so than the boards alone. If the winds were up around 15 -20 knots, full sail, I would think it was poor judgement to be sheeted off and in the saloon! Does anyone know anything about the skipper's prior experience in multihulls?

I have been sailing w/ daggerboards almost exclusively, so I'm open to being enlightened about rough weather sailing in skegged boats. Great topic!
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:45   #53

Quote:
I would think it was poor judgement to be sheeted off and in the saloon!
Doesnt even come close to my view of this.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:38   #54

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
Doesnt even come close to my view of this.
Do tell....

OK...crazy, insane, rediculous.....etc.
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:47   #55

Bloody irresponsible verging on negligent

you did ask!
Old 05-11-2006, 21:29   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
In response to Joli's post about Dashew saying 4-7 percent of multihulls going missing in the Pacific. I remember reading this comment many, many years ago and recall that he had no evidence to back it up other than hearsay and I knew somebody who knew sombody who had a cousin type of crap. I remember the figure quoted as 10 percent. Chris White pretty well debunked it in his book. With that high of loss rate there would not be any of us around after a few decades, think about it. But ohhh...it's Dashew so it must be true.

Back to the topic at hand. Cat's are incredibly stiff and have a higher initial stability than trimarans or monohulls. But that stability rapidly decreases once the windward hull lifts clear of the water. It seems that many of the daggerboard cats seem to be more performance orientated and are lighter thus the potential may be there to fly a hull. You guys with the fixed keel heavier cruising cats do you think you could fly a hull without resorting to extreme measures? To have a wind induced capsize in a cruising cat borders on incompetence IMO
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:39   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust
It seems that many of the daggerboard cats seem to be more performance orientated and are lighter thus the potential may be there to fly a hull. You guys with the fixed keel heavier cruising cats do you think you could fly a hull without resorting to extreme measures? To have a wind induced capsize in a cruising cat borders on incompetence IMO
yes agree. which is really what rick and I have been saying.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:44   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust
You guys with the fixed keel heavier cruising cats do you think you could fly a hull without resorting to extreme measures? To have a wind induced capsize in a cruising cat borders on incompetence IMO
I've never even come close to flying a hull. I think I could if I tried real hard under the right conditions. But this is Talbot's point, as I would be grossly incompetent if I did this.

Rick in Florida
Old 06-11-2006, 06:18   #59

Rick, I have lifted one hull up abt a foot", but that left another couple of feet of hull still in the water, It is also self defeating cause when a catalac is pressed hard, it is going sideways at a significant rate (i.e. leeway)

This also happens when you try to heave to. On one occasion, I reckon I was doing abt 4 kts sideways.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:38   #60
cruiser

Yeah, we are a little 'beamie'. When I enter my marina and turn beam on the wind, I find myself being blown sideways at 2kts. It's always a challenge to exactly time my engines as I'm watching my boat go past my slip sideways.

The most I've seen is about 5 - 7 degrees of heel when I was hard on the wind in about 18kts with genoa and main up. I felt that I was at the limit of my comfort zone of using the genoa as this heeling was unsettling!! I know it's hard to believe but I almost spilled my beer!!

If I want to 'lean' I would have bought a 1/2 boat.

Rick in Florida