Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 13:10   #1

Your Recommended Boat for my Plans

Plan is wife and I sailing 6 months a yr, work during hurricane season then back out. currently residing on West Coast of Florida. Destinations Keys, Bahamas ABC islands. Would love to hear your advice on boat, size, must have's on the boat etc. Would like to stay under 50 K is this doable? Also have limited sailing exp. should we Look at sailing school, thinking about crewing on local sailing club here on Charlotte harbor. Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated
Aquaholic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:24   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Your rec for a boat for my plans

Yes, look at sailing schools, thta will speed up the learning curve and any certified school will teach you "the right way" not what some random sailor does. Also check the local US Power Squadrons (USPS) and USCG Auxiliary for courses, both of which will gain you an insurance discount when you do get going. Between them and the schools you should also get local contacts that will help you get rides with others and gain more experience.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 16:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Absolutely doable, but the budget does restrict the size of the vessel to 35' or so. This may or may not be livable depending on you and your wife's view of the boats available in the price range.

I think you need to do two things. The first is to get out sailing now as much as possible. I would start looking for a small day sailor less than 18' to just get experience on. As well as taking classes. The small boat can probably be had for >$1,000, and will provide valuable experience while you take the time to find a boat you want to live on. Assuming you spend in this price range, you should be able to turn around and sell it pretty easily for about the same down the road.

The next is to take the classes. They can't take the place of experience, but can greatly speed up the learning curve.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 16:56   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic101 View Post
Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated

I know this isn't what you will feel is a useful answer, but I suggest you spend more time thinking and reading past info about this (use the search function). Then get more sailing time, even if it means getting the "wrong" boat which probably still will do it just not the way you would like.

After that you will be in a position to answer your own question in a way best for you.
Old 02-12-2012, 17:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Your Recommended Boat for my Plans

Two people can do well with your plans on a 30' boat. A twenty year old Catalina 30 could suit and leave you with a cruising kitty. Of course, the Bahamas to the ABC,s is a huge jump, but that step comes later.
Old 02-12-2012, 17:18   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic101
PWould like to stay under 50 K is this doable?
It is certainly doable. You could get something like a Cal 40 in that price range. Other boats you might want to look at are the Islander 36 and the Erikson 36.
Old 02-12-2012, 17:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I like Bash's suggstions, but I'm such a miser,- I'm thinking of spending half of your budget!
Old 02-12-2012, 17:32   #8
CLOD

heck if we're just going to toss out boats, how about a old Out Island 41!

I always tend to want to go larger within reason for the comfort
Old 02-12-2012, 17:38   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas
heck if we're just going to toss out boats, how about a old Out Island 41!

I always tend to want to go larger within reason for the comfort
I think that's going to put him about $10,000 over budget. (And please notice that the three boats I recommended will sail circles around that Morgan OI 41.)
Old 02-12-2012, 17:47   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you have never had a boat, and would like to get much of your learning on the cheap, buy a Rainbow 24' sloop. It is a workhorse of a boat, that will not capsize. It is rugged and can take a lot of abuse. Many sailing schools use this boat for training. Practice on this sloop, all your yet to be acquired, piloting and seamanship skills. Once you feel confident that you can handle this boat, take a "Bare Boat Charter course". The next step is to actually charter a boat for a few days. If you've liked what you have accomplished so far, go for a medium size boat...35-40 ft (single masted, mono-hull), with no greater than a 5 ft keel. Boating is not a cheap endeavor. It is not for everyone! Good luck!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 18:04   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I think that's going to put him about $10,000 over budget. (And please notice that the three boats I recommended will sail circles around that Morgan OI 41.)
everything from my reading out sails an OI-41, but there is a reason it was so popular!

but when it comes down to it almost any boat is good condition in the 35' range would be a good choice, that's why I suggested more research on the OP's part

I'm on my second boat and am getting closer to the boat want. But then I bet no matter what one always wishes for something different at differnt times.
Old 02-12-2012, 18:41   #12

Great info folks FYI Power boater 30 + yrs we did own a 26 ft Pearson the wife and I sailed locally in the gulf of mexico, self taught hence the reason for getting info on the sailing schools since we will be doing serious sailing. Will start looking at boats that have been mentioned. Keep it coming love all the info
Old 02-12-2012, 19:46   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Any kids potentially involved?
Sailing experience?
$50k to buy and outfit the boat or just to buy?
Any really strong preferences to start with? (full/fin keel, mono/multi, spade/skeg/attached rudder, sloop/cutter/mizzen rigged)
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Any kids potentially involved?
Sailing experience?
$50k to buy and outfit the boat or just to buy?
Any really strong preferences to start with? (full/fin keel, mono/multi, spade/skeg/attached rudder, sloop/cutter/mizzen rigged)
No Kids (all grown)
50 K to buy and outfit but have some flexibility
no strong preference on keel
originally was hoping for a cat real estate market squashed that idea so Mono. Prefer a sloop but no real preference
From what I read for Bahamas etc I would prefer something with around a 5 ft draft no more

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic101 View Post
Plan is wife and I sailing 6 months a yr, work during hurricane season then back out. currently residing on West Coast of Florida. Destinations Keys, Bahamas ABC islands. Would love to hear your advice on boat, size, must have's on the boat etc. Would like to stay under 50 K is this doable? Also have limited sailing exp. should we Look at sailing school, thinking about crewing on local sailing club here on Charlotte harbor. Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated
Your plan sounds very doable. In addition to what already mentioned by others, on the starting out side I would also get some Navigation training / qualification - a lot of which can be done shoreside, so doesn't need to be rolled into any sailing training you get on the water. Also don't discount the self-training you can give yourself with own boat (when bought!), spending time aboard in your locale (and not just tied to the dock) will be very useful, at the very least in the confidence stakes rather than your first voyage being "the" voyage.

On the boat side, I would suggest not getting too fussy (as within reason pretty much anything will do the job you envisage - and none of them will be perfect, so be prepared to compromise / prioritise) - the priority being to get the best condition boat you can get for your buck at the time you want her.....I would also suggest not maxing yourself out financially for an extra few feet of boat, especially not by accepting less in condition for the extra size......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote