Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 10:41   #16

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: What can one expect for general condition of a Good Old Boat? Bristol 27.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
The big question still is, is this what is to be expected from the market of good old boats?
Quote:
My search is rather broad; 24-32ft, sail, $1-$15k.
Rather broad is an understatement ... you have a factor of 15,000 in your price range!

With that kind of range ... expect anything ... If you get a sweet deal on a $15k boat you'll never want to buy another, but if you get ripped off on a $1 boat you'll never do a day's sailing.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:30   #17

Back atcha Atcowboy. Your fundamental question is "what to be expected from the market of good old boats". The answer is "anything and everything" you will find boats that have been neglected and are now liabilities and boats that have been loved and cared for and everything in between. So my suggestion is to go look at some. At the price range that you are considering you can expect that the boat of your dreams will need some work but then any boat will. Personally, if the B27 "fits" you, ie meets your cruising needs, it sounds like a possible good buy. But, as others have pointed out, your initial purchase is just the ante. Costs like moorage, maintenance, navionic upgrades, replacement ground tackle, batteries and so forth and so on will add up. And continue to do so the longer you own the boat. The good news is that the B27 is fairly simple and, as we and our boats get older, simpler is best
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 13:31   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As an fyi, the Cape Dories you are considering are Carl Alberg designs.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 14:09   #19

Check with some boatyards and marinas. There are lot's of boats that have been abandoned by their owners and the yard would love to sell them to you cheap and then give them the work to get it back into shape. These are not brokerage boats so you have to do leg work to find them.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 20:15   #20

You might browse through this thread for ideas of the kinds of deals that can be out there:
FREE, or close to free! - Page 86 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-02-2020, 20:53   #21

To compare apples and apples - don't look at the purchase price. Look at the purchase price plus two times an honest estimate of the cost of needed repairs and upgrades over the first 12 months. Why two times? Because a boat with problems always has more problems you and the surveyor didn't catch.

That's why a $12,000 27ft boat will almost always be a lower total cost over 12 months than a $7500 boat. I wouldn't even look below $7500 unless you have the skills and time for a project boat - and that doesn't sound like you.

If these numbers are too much for you, look at 22-23ft boats where good boats can be found for $5000.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 13:10   #22

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

"...since I don't know what a Bristol 27 is worth..."

Don't think in terms of what the boat is worth. The real question is what is it worth to you? It is rare that you will get a boat that is a good investment. In fact, I might even substitute the word impossible for rare. Figure out what you want in a boat and then calculate what you will need to put into it both for restoration and maintenance, and see if you think it is worth it.

Good luck with your hunt for a boat. I remember when I first went looking for a boat and I am sure most here will agree that it takes some sorting out as you will find quite a variety of boats in various conditions. Having said that, it sounds like you are looking for something to do day sailing with and occasional and limited weekend cruises. Is this correct?

I ask because if so, your needs will be quite different. If just sailing locally, you can avoid a lot of work. You can find a basically solid boat and go sailing, doing various jobs over time. If sailing locally, you can possibly get away with the existing rigging whereas if going offshore you will likely want new rigging. So too with things like the engine, interiors, barrier coat, etc.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 19:57   #23

Boat: Roberts 34 Cutter Rigged Sloop
pirate Re: What can one expect for general condition of a Good Old Boat? Bristol 27.

I would like to give you some hope with your search.
There are boats with good bones out there you just have to look for them.
As has been said in other posts, find someone who has looked after their vessel but have let it lapse in the last few years.
See past the smells, dirt and shabby upholstery these can all be fixed in a short time.
Focus on hull and engine, these 2 things are major as hauling a motor out and fitting a new one is not what you really want to do and the hull goes without saying.
Sails can be repaired until you can afford new ones and upholstery can be covered with some throw rugs and cushions again until you can afford new ones.
I have had various motor boats for a while and whilst I like them have always had my eye on a sail boat. it took a little while of looking but I did find my bargain boat.
The old guy that owed it had loved it from new. It was smelly as he had lived on it for 15 years. It was dirty as he had lost interest with it over the years. But it had good bones and a good engine.
I have her now and she looks much different to the boat i purchased but it was all done on a budget. The old man and I are also good friends and I not only got a boat but someone i can call and talk to if I need a friend to ask about some thing.
Good luck with your search, most of the time we don't get the boat we want but the boat we need.
R
Vitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 20:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
I would like to give you some hope with your search.
There are boats with good bones out there you just have to look for them.
As has been said in other posts, find someone who has looked after their vessel but have let it lapse in the last few years.
See past the smells, dirt and shabby upholstery these can all be fixed in a short time.
Focus on hull and engine, these 2 things are major as hauling a motor out and fitting a new one is not what you really want to do and the hull goes without saying.
Sails can be repaired until you can afford new ones and upholstery can be covered with some throw rugs and cushions again until you can afford new ones.
I have had various motor boats for a while and whilst I like them have always had my eye on a sail boat. it took a little while of looking but I did find my bargain boat.
The old guy that owed it had loved it from new. It was smelly as he had lived on it for 15 years. It was dirty as he had lost interest with it over the years. But it had good bones and a good engine.
I have her now and she looks much different to the boat i purchased but it was all done on a budget. The old man and I are also good friends and I not only got a boat but someone i can call and talk to if I need a friend to ask about some thing.
Good luck with your search, most of the time we don't get the boat we want but the boat we need.
R
Welcome aboard Vitality!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
boat