Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 09:47   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Everywhere
Boat: Cutter, 31'
Posts: 150
What Builder Makes Good Quality Full Keel Sailboats?

Hi!
I was just examining the forums and came across these comments about Cape George sailboats:

"...the Cape George is indeed a reasonably quick boat. There is nothing terribly special about them compared to many well built full keel boats other than they have really big rigs on them. Not that dissimilar to Pardey's boats as Lyle Hess also believes in large rigs and reasonably good lighter air performance. British Channel Cutters are another of his designs that can really sail. If you put a big enough rig on most heavy boats they will perform its just that many full keel boats have smaller rigs and need a good breeze to get up and go."

"...I own hull #30 of the CG 31s. If your style of boat is a full-keel boat with adequate displacement, then these boats are a good example of that style done right. There are many boats that have done the full-keel/displacement thing horribly wrong, and turned many people off to it."

So, I was wondering what full keel sailboats are built well and can sail well because of a nice sized rig?

My initial list is:
Cape George
Bristol Channel Cutter
Morris Leigh?--your thoughts
Morris Annie?--your thoughts
Others....?

I am looking for something in the 29-36 range.

Used is essential. And I only want a full keel (just chicken honestly), but I don't want a full keel that doesn't perform well.

Thanks for the input!

Eric
__________________

__________________
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 12:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Vancouver, Victoria, Morris, Hans Christian, Marieholm, Amigo, Allegro, Vagabond, OE, Helmsman, Rustler, Koopmans, Zaal, Freya, HR, Najad, Nicholson, Saga ...

then countless others

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 14:39   #3
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

HR hasnt made a full keel boat in generations, Najad never did to my knowledge , nor is Rustler, etc

These are fin and skeg boats , good ones, of course.

Anyway why the OP wants a full keel is beyond us

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:26   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Everywhere
Boat: Cutter, 31'
Posts: 150
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Thanks! That helps me expand my list. Just prefer a full keel for offshore cruising.

Eric
__________________
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:30   #5
Registered User
 
Parmenter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 156
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

__________________
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:33   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,391
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Offshore is to me the least favorable place for a full keel. If I did ever rationalize a full keel for some reason it would be where I might whack a reef so might be less likely to ding the rudder. Or motoring around Maine the prop in an aperture slightly less likely to suck in a line from a lobster pot.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:44   #7
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
Hi!
I was just examining the forums and came across these comments about Cape George sailboats:

"...the Cape George is indeed a reasonably quick boat. There is nothing terribly special about them compared to many well built full keel boats other than they have really big rigs on them. Not that dissimilar to Pardey's boats as Lyle Hess also believes in large rigs and reasonably good lighter air performance. British Channel Cutters are another of his designs that can really sail. If you put a big enough rig on most heavy boats they will perform its just that many full keel boats have smaller rigs and need a good breeze to get up and go."

"...I own hull #30 of the CG 31s. If your style of boat is a full-keel boat with adequate displacement, then these boats are a good example of that style done right. There are many boats that have done the full-keel/displacement thing horribly wrong, and turned many people off to it."

So, I was wondering what full keel sailboats are built well and can sail well because of a nice sized rig?

My initial list is:
Cape George
Bristol Channel Cutter
Morris Leigh?--your thoughts
Morris Annie?--your thoughts
Others....?

I am looking for something in the 29-36 range.

Used is essential. And I only want a full keel (just chicken honestly), but I don't want a full keel that doesn't perform well.

Thanks for the input!

Eric
How many Sqs make a "big rig"
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:46   #8
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
Thanks! That helps me expand my list. Just prefer a full keel for offshore cruising.

Eric
Oh , offshore a full keel is the worst thing, you want hydrodynamic efficiency not full keel. fin and spade is best offshore.

Full keels are good for coastal rock jumping

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 17:55   #9
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Alajuela 38 come to my mind ....
And yes there is a old 31 HR full keel....
And rustler tooo..... Gezz GoooBoating, .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rustlerrrr fullllllllllll keeeeeeeeelllllll+.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	67694  
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 18:25   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,778
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

if you gonna add hans christian, you may as well add others from same yards--formosa, ct, hardin, hudson...island trader--all made in same yards with same materials and workers as hans christian.
baba, panda, southern cross, westsail32,42,43..... rafiki, islander freeport, fantasia,
cabo rico....cheoy lee....
there are many to consider--
lord nelson
tayana 37, 43..
devries lynch


Quote:
Oh , offshore a full keel is the worst thing, you want hydrodynamic efficiency not full keel. fin and spade is best offshore.

Full keels are good for coastal rock jumping
why you talk such lie??
formosa, ct hardin, full keels are designed for trade winds sailing and the seas that accompany them.

full keels are made for non-maneuvering situations, not coastal cruising--is why they are so deep.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 18:27   #11
Registered User
 
OutOfControl's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Posts: 213
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Alajuela 38 come to my mind ....
And yes there is a old 31 HR full keel....
And rustler tooo..... Gezz GoooBoating, .
Sorry neilpride, he has been busy in another thread.
__________________
OutOfControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 18:34   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

The OP specifically asked about full-keel boats that perform well - and I think he meant turn of speed by that, given the context.

Many of the boats listed here only fulfill the full-keel part.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 18:44   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,471
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

My interpretation of the OP was that he was looking for builders that were in current production. If so, that seems to eliminate many of the suggested marques... to say nothing of the performance issue!

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 18:47   #14
Registered User
 
svseachange's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East Coast of Australia
Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Posts: 781
Not quite a full keel, but not a fin keel either. Consider adding Pacific Seacraft to your list.
__________________
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 18:47   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: What builder makes good quality full keel sailboats?

Well, he said "used is essential".

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
builder, keel, sail, sailboat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
marine survey advice Ardi Monohull Sailboats 13 28-02-2013 18:07
Need Help Setting up my Battery Monitor Jbaffoh Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 46 07-11-2012 13:48
Capsize Ratio's topfish Monohull Sailboats 266 06-07-2012 19:44
For Sale: Cruising Guides and Sailing Resource Books svdreamkeeper Classifieds Archive 3 23-11-2011 12:24
Tartan or Sabre ? Here's a Couple of Examples Jbingham Monohull Sailboats 29 31-08-2011 13:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.