Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 14:50   #1

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop
Sights at sea

Sailing from New Calidonia to New Zealand.i was on night watch ,a calm sea with phosphesence in the water lighting up the bow wave . than there was these goastly bodys around the size of humans in the water along side. they wound appear and disappear like magic .they looked like the lost souls in the movie Pirates of the carrabean . spooky !
inreality they were dolphins ,themore they darted about the more they lite up.
it was amasing

bad spelling, me sorry

what have you seen out there ?

cheers

HVYJimmy
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 14:56   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: sights at sea

This is going to sound really weird, but I swear to God I once saw what looked like a human sized labradoodle with arms swimming through the water, and then he darted underneath the water in an instant. Almost like a huge shellless sea turtle or something, I don't know it was the freakiest thing i've ever seen swimming.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 15:06   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Technically not at sea, can we say 'at lake'?, but years ago on an overnight passage up the middle Lake Huron on a very dark, very cold night at the beginning of July we saw an incredible display of northern lights. Most unusual for that time of year.
Old 12-11-2016, 15:21   #4

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

A few years ago my friends and I were going up Delaware Bay. We encountered two rough storms. After the 2nd storm passed and the sun came out, we saw an image coming out of the clouds to the south that looked like a square rigger sailing ship. My friend that owned the boat told me the image is the Flying Dutchman, a legendary ghost ship that can never make port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever. We made it back to our harbor in southern Maryland and my friend was found dead in his boat from a massive heart attack. I swear this is truth and not made up.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 15:29   #5

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

I love those calm nights with phospheresence.

I came across something odd last year. I saw a bunch of gulls attacking the water in the distance, so I cruised over to have a look. I expected to see a school of bait fish being chased to the surface.
There was something fleshy floating in the water. As we pulled alongside, it became evident that it was a tongue; a very large tongue about 2 metres long. There were no other body parts around, just a tongue. I'm guessing a whale tongue, but where was the rest of it?
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 15:39   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
I love those calm nights with phospheresence.

I came across something odd last year. I saw a bunch of gulls attacking the water in the distance, so I cruised over to have a look. I expected to see a school of bait fish being chased to the surface.
There was something fleshy floating in the water. As we pulled alongside, it became evident that it was a tongue; a very large tongue about 2 metres long. There were no other body parts around, just a tongue. I'm guessing a whale tongue, but where was the rest of it?
Be thankful that whatever just ate the rest of the whale was no longer hungry..
Old 12-11-2016, 15:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I haven't seen the phosphorescence since I was young, I have missed it and wanted to show it to my kids, just it seems to have gone from the Northern Gulf of Mexico.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 16:05   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Before StuM pops up to sort all this out....
Phosphorescence was replaced by bioluminescence some years ago...

I reckon its at its best when your prop wash is sparkling in your wake as you sail down moon.

That and when, at anchor, you take a pee over the side.... ( I'm easily amused as you can see )
Old 12-11-2016, 16:30   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I haven't seen the phosphorescence since I was young, I have missed it and wanted to show it to my kids, just it seems to have gone from the Northern Gulf of Mexico.
It may be related to changing average water temps.. I've noticed lees around here too, but just anectdotal..

BTW, I love these kinds of threads and definitely no intention to redirect thread but this one might be interesting tooo,
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ls-163138.html

Dolphins criss-crossing the bow leaving the green glowing trails is a sight everyone must have on their bucket list!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 16:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVYJimmy View Post
Sailing from New Calidonia to New Zealand.i was on night watch ,a calm sea with phosphesence in the water lighting up the bow wave . than there was these goastly bodys around the size of humans in the water along side. they wound appear and disappear like magic .they looked like the lost souls in the movie Pirates of the carrabean . spooky !
inreality they were dolphins ,themore they darted about the more they lite up.
it was amasing

bad spelling, me sorry

what have you seen out there ?

cheers

HVYJimmy
YES!!!! I have seen this. Amazing!!!! One night transiting the Gulf Of Maine we were visited by about six or seven pods of dolphins with about a dozen individuals each over the course of about two hours.

An amazing sight such as I have never seen and one I will never forget. I found this video to share with friends but it does little justice to the real thing.

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 16:40   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

WOW! Beautiful!!
Where can I get one of those cameras?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 16:51   #12

No camera tricks. That is the bioluminescence as their bodies move through the water.

One of the things that stood out to me at the time was how they were such powerful swimmers. They reminded me of horses. I believe what we saw were Bottlenose. We were doing a solid six plus knots. They were so strong!

And to see the whole of their form shown by the bioluminescence. Truly amazing! Something I wish everyone could see for themselves. Might make people decide to take better care of the oceans.
Old 12-11-2016, 17:33   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I saw an eclipse of the sun off India.

Fantastic.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 17:39   #14

Totally on my list of things to do. There is a whole culture of people who just travel around from one eclipse to the next.

Welcome to Being in the shadow, the site about the human experience of totality
Old 12-11-2016, 17:46   #15

Boat: valiant 40

We would like to see the famed emerald flash, after 600 sun sets nothing to report.