Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 18:21   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: One Head or Two?

Congrats, hope she's all you wanted from the boat. Not to worry, one head on a 41 is not a problem, it's actually a bit of a forced option on a boat that size. Our current boat is a 47 with two heads, one has a broken toilet and we haven't really felt the need to fix it as other things have more importance on the upgrade list. I wouldn't consider it on anything smaller than 44' since it takes up precious living space.
The only time it really makes a difference is if you have guests on board, and then only if your guests wife is a bit touchy, if she's that fussy she'd probably get on your nerves after a few days onboard anyway, so it will help cull those guests who should probably go to a shoreside hotel and go out for a day sail, then everyone's happy.
If the Queen is happy, everyone's happy.
As for the 5% depreciation per year on a new boat? I don't think so, just look on Yachtworld if you want a reality check, that's just sales guy talk, I'd pound the crap out of that sales agent just for saying that, see how much they'll throw in free to make the sale, make sure it's all value added equipment, then when they've negotiated the price and come to an agreed value, ask for an extended warranty, after all, it's a demo boat.
Yes, even new boats have issues and your likely the crash test dummy on this one, make sure to use all the systems and ensure everything works as designed within the warranty period, have them correct any issues you come across. The electronics are already a year old so they're not under manufacturers warranty anymore, see what the dealer is willing to cover and if they'll extend the warranty for the first full year of ownership, it's the least they can do.
Remember, it's a big purchase, you'll likely need to own it for ten years to get your return on investment, and then only from the use and enjoyment you derive from it. You don't want to enter into your new dream only to be stuck replacing expensive equipment.
Go in with a clear head, the enjoyment will last much longer and your experience will be that much more pleasant.
Good luck and good sailing, hope it turns out to be all you wished for.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 19:49   #32

Boat: 2012 Jeanneau SO 44DS

Lifeofreilly57,

Thanks for the advice. I'll check with my dealer but I thought the warrant starts when the boat is titled. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about this boat!
Fulmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 05:20   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

On the boat for sure, electronics can be a different story, it depends on what the dealer is offering. What happens six months down the road when a device fails? Who's responsible? You might want to get it in writing. Depends on the dealer.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 09:53   #34
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

I removed my 2nd head and sink and lined it with cedar. It makes a very nice place to hang my good clothing and dress shoes.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 05:42   #35

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

No one would consider a second bathroom in a house the size of a 40ft boat. Why should you, in a location where space is at a premium, even consider a second head? It can't be the stairs or walking distance at night...
As said before, it only takes up valuable space, add's complexity, creates extra holes in the hull and more to keep clean.

If your family or guests are not prepared to share a single head, how can you expect them to successfully crew your boat?
ilCigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 06:08   #36
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Hasn't anyone ever told you that two heads are better than one?
You beat me to it.
Old 19-03-2014, 06:18   #37

Thanks for all the advice guys! I signed a contract pending fianancing on the 2 cabin 1 head. Just waiting to hear from SGB, Beneteau's fianancing company.
Old 19-03-2014, 07:18   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Congratulations!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 05:18   #39

Boat: Beneteau 41

Fulmitz, you'll like the 41. Lots of room for a 41 and easy to sail. I've had mine a year and a half. Had some teething problems because it was hull number 36. So far so good though. The commodore loves it. Congrats.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 01:58   #40

Boat: Hunter 44DS

My yacht has had the second head turned into a laundry & wet area. A great idea, one toilet is enough to clean and maintain.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1395392264.610201.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	77875
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 04:09   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Plenty of people prefer one heads compartment on boats that size, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about resale value. Space is tight and many people prefer not to spend the space on redundant functions like that. With one or two people on board, there's really not any need for it.

On the other hand, if you will regularly have three or more people on board, one heads starts to be a quality of life issue.

And yes -- marine toilets are relatively troublesome and it can be a total Godsend to have a spare one. Toilet troubles are, short of sinking or dismasting, one of the worst problems to have on board, if not the worst. If you have only one, and you have some trouble with it, as you inevitably will, you are going to be using a bucket.

So in many cases you really will prefer a boat with two heads -- for your own sanity and quality of life, if not for resale.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 06:42   #42

I never realized this would be such a "hot" topic of debate with 2 staunch camps. I guess experience will teach as with everything in life. Since I went with the single head boat the choice is already made but thanks for the input.

Right now I'm still waiting to hear from the financing company on the loan, but in my experience, the longer it takes the worse the news. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If it does go through I wouldn't have the boat for 3 more weeks anyway.
Old 31-05-2014, 17:31   #43

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats

What happened? Did you get your boat? How was the experience (either way)?
BWB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:46   #44

Unfortunately...no I didn't. There was a financing "glitch" as I am a small business owner and keep all my funds in the business and pay for everything through it. The financing company wanted to see the downpayment funds and enough funds to pay 2 years of the note "seasoned" in my personal account for over 60 days. I transferred the money and waited. Still the boat was available but I knew they could sell it at any time. 2 days before I the 60 days are up the boat is sold! They told me they could get a similar boat from Houston that is a "stock" boat and its a 2014 but when they came back with the final price it was 50k more than the new 2013 and I really didn't want to go over $300k for my first boat. So I'll wait and see. New baby is due in 8 weeks and the wife is redoing the back yard, etc... Timing is everything.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:00   #45

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats

Wow! This is unexpected! I never would have thought a buyer would have to plan for something like this.

I am sorry your boat did not work out. Especially over a mere two days! Ouch!

But, I am grateful to have learned of your experience. Thank you for sharing this.

Congratulations in the new baby!!!

Future crew?
BWB75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head