Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 12:35   #1

Boat: 2012 Jeanneau SO 44DS
One Head or Two?

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on my first sail boat. I'm looking at an Oceanis 41 and as with any purchase, I'm worried about resale down the road. The local dealer has a 2013 new boat, never titled in stock and is giving a discount but it's 2 cabin 1 head. My concern is that it's been unsold since last year and in a few years as my family grows, I don't want to be stuck. Am I worrying over nothing? We're planning on starting with day sailing and then maybe weekends. Within a year or 2 some costal trips in the Gulf of Mexico, maybe from Louisiana down to the Florida Keys. I know many recommend start small, get used etc... I appreciate that but my wife is set on a bigger boat as she is scared on small boats. We took classes on a 25' boat and she lasted an hour. We went sailing on a 48' boat and she didn't want to come back in to dock! My main concern is resale for one head vs two.

Thanks,

Fulmitz
Fulmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:46   #2

Re: One head or two?

Then just sell it to someone who only wants the simplicity of a single head.

Two heads provide additional complexity. Many are plumbed into the same holding tank which makes for long runs on discharge hose from one of the heads or the other.

Some folks say two is better because you have a backup.

I've had one head on my boats for the past 35 years, still doing just fine.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:47   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Without regard to the head count... I'd suggest if you're going to move up anyway, consider buying the second boat first.

-Chris
Old 11-03-2014, 13:05   #4

Personal taste only here. Boats around 40 feet work best with one head and usually it can be a decent sized one. When you cram 2 heads in this size of boat something suffers. I realize the marketers are selling 2 heads and large galleys and for some folks I guess it works but I would rather have additional storage and a good sized chart table.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 13:20   #5

Thanks,

The one problem is I haven't seen the actual boat as he has it in Florida. He took me to a Oceanis 45 which I like a lot but he won't have on in for a bit and I could order a Sense 43 which I loved the styling but was told it could be 6 months. The 45 I saw had 2 heads and didn't feel crammed but its a 45. I'm debating flying down to FL to see the boat. Anyone ever buy a new boat sight unseen?
Old 11-03-2014, 13:28   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Fly down. You need to see it.

We've had one head on a 38' boat for 20+ years with no problem. There were only two of us on board though. I think if you had guests frequently, or kids, you might want a second head. That's especially true if the one and only head was next to your cabin.

As far as resale. Some folks insist on two heads. Different circumstances, different experiences. A broker should be able to talk to you about best resale.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:48   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40
I never thought that single head was a resale issue. We have 2 on ours and I didn't think it would really provide a major difference, but I really like having both. We use the head in our cabin most of the time for relieving ourselves, And the aft head to deal with weather gear">foul weather gear and to shower.

It is very convenient! Especially when we have guests.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:57   #8

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

If I look for a 40 footer, I want 2 heads. Having a boat is to invite others to join you, two heads is better than one.

Totally personal preference.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 17:17   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmitz View Post
I'm looking at an Oceanis 41 and as with any purchase, I'm worried about resale down the road. The local dealer has a 2013 new boat, never titled in stock and is giving a discount but it's 2 cabin 1 head.
It's probably a demo boat and while it has been for sale they really haven't been trying.

A 41' boat with only 1 head means there is more room for other more useful stuff.
Old 11-03-2014, 17:46   #10

Re: One Head or Two?

Sailorboy1,

It is a demo boat from a show, so they are discounting since it's last years model and it's the A/C is free. My wife wants the Oceanis 41 because it's available now. Never been titled so it's still considered "new".
Old 11-03-2014, 18:03   #11

Quote:
Sailorboy1,

It is a demo boat from a show, so they are discounting since it's last years model and it's the A/C is free. My wife wants the Oceanis 41 because it's available now. Never been titled so it's still considered "new".
It's the new model so they don't care that it's now a year old. My dealer has had a tough time keeping the Oceanis line in stock. They weren't even pushing the 45' they have now. They just got the 38' in and they said they want to keep it in stock so people can see it. if they are discounting it then I would buy it. If you are looking for a new 40' production mono the Oceanis 41 is the best boat for the money. The cockpit is huge due to the full chine.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 18:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBW View Post
And the aft head to deal with foul weather gear and to shower.
There is the camp that suggest you buy one with two heads so you can use one as a wet locker.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 18:53   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Hasn't anyone ever told you that two heads are better than one?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:40   #14

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

We have two heads on our 32 and in my opinion the second one is a total waste of good space. In fact, we need the second head so little that although the macerator was broken on the day we bought the boat (in 2011) that second head is so far down on the repair/refit list that I've never bothered to even try to fix it. Our boat is not a dock queen either, we take it out every time we can, and we frequently have guests. Yeah, I've heard the point about having a spare too, but when you weigh the complexity and maintenance hassle against "having a back-up" -- I'd prefer one head.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

Two heads, if you have a wife aboard. period

Unless she is very unfriendly, and that means no guest.

On a sailing vessel/or any vessels that moves, unless you are inclined to sit to pee, and then if your wife is aboard then 2 heads.

If it's done proper, then no issues. Except you Captain Sir, will be relegated to cleaning your/guesthead.

If your going to have guest...better make sure it has 2 showers, as well.. FOR ALL THE SAME REASONS.

Lloyd

Quote:
I'm looking at pulling the trigger on my first sail boat. I'm looking at an Oceanis 41 and as with any purchase, I'm worried about resale down the road. The local dealer has a 2013 new boat, never titled in stock and is giving a discount but it's 2 cabin 1 head. My concern is that it's been unsold since last year and in a few years as my family grows, I don't want to be stuck. Am I worrying over nothing? We're planning on starting with day sailing and then maybe weekends. Within a year or 2 some costal trips in the Gulf of Mexico, maybe from Louisiana down to the Florida Keys. I know many recommend start small, get used etc... I appreciate that but my wife is set on a bigger boat as she is scared on small boats. We took classes on a 25' boat and she lasted an hour. We went sailing on a 48' boat and she didn't want to come back in to dock! My main concern is resale for one head vs two.

Thanks,

Fulmitz
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head