Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   One Head or Two? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/one-head-or-two-122299.html)

Fulmitz 11-03-2014 12:35

One Head or Two?

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on my first sail boat. I'm looking at an Oceanis 41 and as with any purchase, I'm worried about resale down the road. The local dealer has a 2013 new boat, never titled in stock and is giving a discount but it's 2 cabin 1 head. My concern is that it's been unsold since last year and in a few years as my family grows, I don't want to be stuck. Am I worrying over nothing? We're planning on starting with day sailing and then maybe weekends. Within a year or 2 some costal trips in the Gulf of Mexico, maybe from Louisiana down to the Florida Keys. I know many recommend start small, get used etc... I appreciate that but my wife is set on a bigger boat as she is scared on small boats. We took classes on a 25' boat and she lasted an hour. We went sailing on a 48' boat and she didn't want to come back in to dock! My main concern is resale for one head vs two.

Thanks,

Fulmitz

Stu Jackson 11-03-2014 12:46

Re: One head or two?

Then just sell it to someone who only wants the simplicity of a single head. :)

Two heads provide additional complexity. Many are plumbed into the same holding tank which makes for long runs on discharge hose from one of the heads or the other.

Some folks say two is better because you have a backup.

I've had one head on my boats for the past 35 years, still doing just fine.

ranger42c 11-03-2014 12:47

Without regard to the head count... I'd suggest if you're going to move up anyway, consider buying the second boat first.

-Chris

robert sailor 11-03-2014 13:05

Personal taste only here. Boats around 40 feet work best with one head and usually it can be a decent sized one. When you cram 2 heads in this size of boat something suffers. I realize the marketers are selling 2 heads and large galleys and for some folks I guess it works but I would rather have additional storage and a good sized chart table.

Fulmitz 11-03-2014 13:20

Thanks,

The one problem is I haven't seen the actual boat as he has it in Florida. He took me to a Oceanis 45 which I like a lot but he won't have on in for a bit and I could order a Sense 43 which I loved the styling but was told it could be 6 months. The 45 I saw had 2 heads and didn't feel crammed but its a 45. I'm debating flying down to FL to see the boat. Anyone ever buy a new boat sight unseen?

Prairie Chicken 11-03-2014 13:28

Fly down. You need to see it.

We've had one head on a 38' boat for 20+ years with no problem. There were only two of us on board though. I think if you had guests frequently, or kids, you might want a second head. That's especially true if the one and only head was next to your cabin.

As far as resale. Some folks insist on two heads. Different circumstances, different experiences. A broker should be able to talk to you about best resale.

CaptainBW 11-03-2014 16:48

I never thought that single head was a resale issue. We have 2 on ours and I didn't think it would really provide a major difference, but I really like having both. We use the head in our cabin most of the time for relieving ourselves, And the aft head to deal with foul weather gear and to shower.

It is very convenient! Especially when we have guests.

rockDAWG 11-03-2014 16:57

If I look for a 40 footer, I want 2 heads. Having a boat is to invite others to join you, two heads is better than one.

Totally personal preference.

sailorboy1 11-03-2014 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulmitz (Post 1489647)
I'm looking at an Oceanis 41 and as with any purchase, I'm worried about resale down the road. The local dealer has a 2013 new boat, never titled in stock and is giving a discount but it's 2 cabin 1 head.

It's probably a demo boat and while it has been for sale they really haven't been trying.

A 41' boat with only 1 head means there is more room for other more useful stuff.

Fulmitz 11-03-2014 17:46

Re: One Head or Two?

Sailorboy1,

It is a demo boat from a show, so they are discounting since it's last years model and it's the A/C is free. My wife wants the Oceanis 41 because it's available now. Never been titled so it's still considered "new".

jostalli 11-03-2014 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulmitz (Post 1489839)
Sailorboy1,

It is a demo boat from a show, so they are discounting since it's last years model and it's the A/C is free. My wife wants the Oceanis 41 because it's available now. Never been titled so it's still considered "new".

It's the new model so they don't care that it's now a year old. My dealer has had a tough time keeping the Oceanis line in stock. They weren't even pushing the 45' they have now. They just got the 38' in and they said they want to keep it in stock so people can see it. if they are discounting it then I would buy it. If you are looking for a new 40' production mono the Oceanis 41 is the best boat for the money. The cockpit is huge due to the full chine.

Stu Jackson 11-03-2014 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainBW (Post 1489796)
And the aft head to deal with foul weather gear and to shower.

There is the camp that suggest you buy one with two heads so you can use one as a wet locker.

David M 11-03-2014 18:53

Hasn't anyone ever told you that two heads are better than one? :)

kthoennes 11-03-2014 19:40

We have two heads on our 32 and in my opinion the second one is a total waste of good space. In fact, we need the second head so little that although the macerator was broken on the day we bought the boat (in 2011) that second head is so far down on the repair/refit list that I've never bothered to even try to fix it. Our boat is not a dock queen either, we take it out every time we can, and we frequently have guests. Yeah, I've heard the point about having a spare too, but when you weigh the complexity and maintenance hassle against "having a back-up" -- I'd prefer one head.

FlyingCloud1937 11-03-2014 19:59

Two heads, if you have a wife aboard. period

Unless she is very unfriendly, and that means no guest.

On a sailing vessel/or any vessels that moves, unless you are inclined to sit to pee, and then if your wife is aboard then 2 heads.

If it's done proper, then no issues. Except you Captain Sir, will be relegated to cleaning your/guesthead.

If your going to have guest...better make sure it has 2 showers, as well.. FOR ALL THE SAME REASONS.

Lloyd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulmitz (Post 1489647)
I'm looking at pulling the trigger on my first sail boat. I'm looking at an Oceanis 41 and as with any purchase, I'm worried about resale down the road. The local dealer has a 2013 new boat, never titled in stock and is giving a discount but it's 2 cabin 1 head. My concern is that it's been unsold since last year and in a few years as my family grows, I don't want to be stuck. Am I worrying over nothing? We're planning on starting with day sailing and then maybe weekends. Within a year or 2 some costal trips in the Gulf of Mexico, maybe from Louisiana down to the Florida Keys. I know many recommend start small, get used etc... I appreciate that but my wife is set on a bigger boat as she is scared on small boats. We took classes on a 25' boat and she lasted an hour. We went sailing on a 48' boat and she didn't want to come back in to dock! My main concern is resale for one head vs two.

Thanks,

Fulmitz