Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 16:03   #16

Re: New to boats; help me understand this one?

[QUOTE=Pygmalion;2241668]Thanks for all the comments!

To circumnavigate is the dream, but I'm certainly not leaving tomorrow. I already know it'll take a couple years of hard work and research just to leave the dock. Thanks in particular to those who aren't criticizing my first baby steps.

Is it OK to condense and translate the general consensus to "Only consider this boat if you're broke and willing to work your butt off"?[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty accurate conclusion. Those old Formosa hulls are strong, but you could spend $100k making it a great boat. It's very difficult to say from a distance. many of them have rotten plywood decks, cockpits and cabins which may have a thin covering of fiberglass. Add to that rudder, engine, sail, issues, tank issues, rotten bulkheads, corroded wiring etc. At $5k that is probably what you are facing. The same boat at $40k may have had all that repaired with that owner/seller taking the loss.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 16:52   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The people with 1940's planes and 1964 cars know how to recondition and maintain them.
You dont know how to recondition or maintain a boat.

Plus what Island Time says about Hawaii. Remember if u dont want the boat and cant sell it you need to dispise of it. Thats a very exoensive piece or trash to remove from the water, cut up, and landfill....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 16:55   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Disagree with 'Formosa hulls are strong'.
Some were well built in good Taiwan yards, but some were built in very poor yards, wernt they?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 16:56   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Would you buy a 1977 car?
Why would you think a 1977 boat worthy of buying?
Hey, go easy. We were laid up in 1978.
Old 23-10-2016, 17:00   #20

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post

Is it OK to condense and translate the general consensus to "Only consider this boat if you're broke and willing to work your butt off"?
Close....

I'd say it more like "only consider this boat if you want end up broke after working your butt off". But you are doing well for a NOOB.
Old 24-10-2016, 04:17   #21

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

As a couple of people have mentioned, its not so much about year as it is more about initial build quality, design and level of care over the years....mine was laid up in '68, and is built like a tank, the decks have been re-done, and most of my restoration/refit is cosmetic and some mechanical. I plan to never get all of my investment back, but I will come away with a practically new boat, and a complete understanding of every nook and cranny once all is said and done.
Old 24-10-2016, 04:26   #22

If you've never bought and owned a boat over 25', don't get a "blue water" boat because you dream of sailing around the world.

For every story you hear about a total newbie who buys a boat sight unseen and goes round the world. there are hundreds of broken dreams.

Get a boat close to home that meets your current needs. If you do that for a few years, you will be far better equipped to pick out a boat for the big trip in the future and more likely to get a boat that meets your current needs better.

Adding in a long distance purchase of a boat that likely has major problems is just piling bad news on top of bad news.

FYI - there is no such thing as a "blue water" boat. It's a marketing term.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:51   #23

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Pygmalion;2241465]I'm not going to pretend I know anything, that would be a waste of time. I would like a boat I could eventually take out to 'blue water'. I like this one, but the low price has me suspicious! They have not contacted me back yet.

Hi Pygmalion, I am no shipwright, but what I can see from those photos, that boat will require an enormous amount of elbow grease just to leave the dock on a Xmas light harbour tour. At 5G's he is going to walk away smiling with 10G's, 5 of yours and 5 of his that he has saved on the disposal fees!! JMHO.
Ted VA7YQQ
Comox, BC
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:53   #24

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

These boats have a heavy laid fiberglass hull, but the topsides were generally all wood as are the masts. I see lots of heavy woodworking in your future as well as mechanical and rigging nightmares. This boat cannot be given away due to amount of money and work required. I suggest you continue looking.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:05   #25

Quote:
Depending on the design and build, a 1977 sailboat can be rock solid. If you can afford it and are looking for luxury cruising, then maybe you would not be happy with a 1977 sailboat. With basic hull, deck, ports, mast, engine, and joinery in serviceable condition, such a boat would be a good investment for the right person. No walk in the park by any means, but nonetheless doable, remembering of course that you never get your money back for all the work and improvements you put into a sailboat.
cjsfsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:20   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

markj--i know of few 1977 formosas with poorly laid hulls. they are thick, solid and strong.
mine was laid over on santa barbara's breakwall for a week in its before po life, sold post salvage as a liveaboard hahaha ha ha very strong hull shows no sign of having been on any kind of breakwall, much less a breakwall open to swells. .
to the original poster of htis thread--- if you enjoy sailing heavy displacement boats, this ct/formosa 35 is a good go anywhere boat. they are not production boats by any stretch, so they do not need to be shiny to sail. they do not oilcan when sailing, as they are well built and solid.
in prepping it for cruising for you , you will learn all systems well. you will also learn that, contrary to the set up of performance cruisers, you are able to readily repair all , as nothing is placed so a spider monkey has to fix it.
as a 1977, it will not yet have a cored hull, so popularly used in 1980s builds of various marques. it is not light and sturdy, it is heavy and sturdy.
so--it is up to you -do you want to not have to buy another boat, ever, for your goals, or are you rich enough to be able to buy another boat despite not being able to readily sell that which you have bought and prepped so nicely.
i love my formosa--i will not sell her nor consider another different marque.
these are special and becoming unique--non production and with character.
each one is different.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:21   #27

Do you have lots of experience, AND time, AND skills, AND money? And are you willing to blow them all away on a project that will make you old, broke, and bitter before your time?

If so - buy this boat!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:23   #28

I recently purchased a 1977 Islander 32 mkII ad couldn't be happier. Everything works (after replacing most hoses, fuel ones and a few light bulbs. This boat was a great buy at $9k but not all boats,of this age might be. Just fortunate to find the right seller at the right time. No soft decks or bad rigging. You will find boats of this age with problems. Look carefully and thoroughly. Good sailing!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:36   #29

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

You'll find just as many that often will say it could be a good deal as not, I wouldn't consider it if you are not handy with tools. You most likely will get an education and probably be able to get out of the deal without getting hurt too bad. Take all these comments with a grain of salt, one normally has to have the item in hand too make a reasonable evaluation of the the value.
Old 24-10-2016, 09:42   #30

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

Because boats are more like houses than cars.

Would you buy a 1977 or for
That matter a 1967 or 1957 house?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote