Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: New sailor, trying to narrow down what to get for my next boat.

The Newport is a lotta boat for $2800... Not locked into any power options... Could take your time from OB to elect or inboard AND... recoup your cost selling the OB...

I like 15hp for the OB... That's what I got on the 22...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 19:16   #77

Boat: Newport 28

Still waiting to hear back from the newport guy.

I also found a santana 30/30. Is anyone familiar with that boat? Its yardstick rating is the same as my catamaran. Could this be possible? I wonder how stable it is. Cabin space looks decent.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 20:38   #78

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I like 15hp for the OB... That's what I got on the 22...
Cant understand the need for that kind of power on a sailboat that size. The 7.5hp on my albin vega 27 brought her up to hull speed at less than WOT. The 6hp on my santana 26 was overkill. Our club catalina 25's have 9.9hp and they're too much.

15hp has to be heavy, stressing the transom and not really gaining much in performance.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 05:11   #79

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Still waiting to hear back from the newport guy.

I also found a santana 30/30. Is anyone familiar with that boat? Its yardstick rating is the same as my catamaran. Could this be possible? I wonder how stable it is. Cabin space looks decent.

I saw that on craigslist last night. It's a fun boat, faster and handles better than the Catalina. The phrf number is based differently. Than the Portsmouth number.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 06:15   #80

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I will give you my opinions on what I think are your two major questions:

1) sailing is sailing. I learned to sail about the same way you did. So as long as you are under sail, your past experience will serve you well (going offshore is a different issue, of course). Where you will be challenged is in things like operating a single prop keelboat under power in tight quarters, systems maintenance that you don't have on boats with no systems (engine, water, electrical, etc), and the logistics of planning for longer trips (spares, courses, controlling depths, tidal currents, plan A, plan B, plan C, etc). Despite being an accomplished daysailer, I took several formal courses when I move to cruisers, and I learned an enormous amount about these types of things that would have taken decades otherwise;

2) bigger is better, in my opinion. When you want to move up, you're already there. The boat is more stable and (up to a point) actually less work to sail. And you have more room for friends! I would suggest the biggest boat you can afford (which will be limited under $10K, as you indicate, but plenty of larger boats needing work will be available in that range).

Just my opinions, I'm sure others see it differently. Best, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 06:32   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Cant understand the need for that kind of power on a sailboat that size. The 7.5hp on my albin vega 27 brought her up to hull speed at less than WOT. The 6hp on my santana 26 was overkill. Our club catalina 25's have 9.9hp and they're too much.

15hp has to be heavy, stressing the transom and not really gaining much in performance.
Oh yea.. You caught me... Yes, overpowered, but I can putt putt @ hull speed, and get better than hull pushing her... Just my take, but you are right... I've only had 2 sailboats with an OB... I'm dusting off the Seagull for my maritime "do not do" history museum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I saw that on craigslist last night. It's a fun boat, faster and handles better than the Catalina. The phrf number is based differently. Than the Portsmouth number.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
+1!
Santana is a fun boat!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 06:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
\
No no it's both yardstick ratings. The hobie is rated 77 and the santana 77.5, both on the portsmouth yardstick table. Are they different since the hobie is in the multihull class and santana is in the offshore class or something?

It's faster and handles better than something like a catalina, but how well is it constructed? did they make them lighter(weaker) so they could gain speed through reduced weight, or is it comparable in durability/longevity?

I'm going to try to get a hold of the Newport guy before the week is over and take a look at both boats.
Old 13-11-2014, 07:25   #83
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No no it's both yardstick ratings. The hobie is rated 77 and the santana 77.5, both on the portsmouth yardstick table. Are they different since the hobie is in the multihull class and santana is in the offshore class or something?

It's faster and handles better than something like a catalina, but how well is it constructed? did they make them lighter(weaker) so they could gain speed through reduced weight, or is it comparable in durability/longevity?

I'm going to try to get a hold of the Newport guy before the week is over and take a look at both boats.
Take a look at this page and site for info on this boat and others you find.
SANTANA 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Also note the last line on that page.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 07:53   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Also note the last line on that page.
This boat is the 30-30, but he doesn't specify PC or GP. I think it may be the PC model with the taller cabin. Must handle a lot differently than the Newport. It weighs 500 lbs less, has a more long and narrow shaped hull, and has 100 sq ft more sail area on it...making it a sail area/displacement ratio of 20 instead of Newports 16, plus a spinnaker.
Sounds like a lot more fun.

I'm just wondering how much more squirrelly it would be compared to the newport.(more specifically is it going to scare my girlfriend unless I am extremely careful?)

The Hobie 16 has a sail area/displacement ratio in the 70's with a very high aspect rig. I wonder how they could possibly give them the same portsmouth rating.
Old 13-11-2014, 11:38   #85

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Good guess. I used to own a santana 26. Fast little devil. I decided to put a new outboard bracket on the transom. Drilled a few holes. I was astounded at how thin the transom was. I put an extra large backing plate inside the hull. After giving the rest of the boat a really good look, it all looked pretty thin.

On the hard I decided to drill some small holes in the underside of the rudder, to drain out any water. Got about a quart of water out of it.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 11:39   #86

After doing more research, the santana seems fun, but the newport seems like it will be more what I am looking for...plus the price is right. It would seem I couldn't go too wrong for that price.
The seller finally got back to me and I am going to look at it today.

So just a few questions as there is a good chance I may buy this if it all looks right.

Survey: is it really necessary on a boat this cheap? With no motor, would it even be feasible to have one done before purchase?

Dock slip: This one is more for all you guys sailing out of the Galveston area...Is insurance generally required before you sign the paperwork for the slip?
If so, I would need to get a survey done anyhow I suppose.

In other words, aside from the standard bill of sale, title/cash exchange...how is this whole process supposed to go?
Old 13-11-2014, 12:13   #87

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
After doing more research, the santana seems fun, but the newport seems like it will be more what I am looking for...plus the price is right. It would seem I couldn't go too wrong for that price.
The seller finally got back to me and I am going to look at it today.

So just a few questions as there is a good chance I may buy this if it all looks right.

Survey: is it really necessary on a boat this cheap? With no motor, would it even be feasible to have one done before purchase?

Dock slip: This one is more for all you guys sailing out of the Galveston area...Is insurance generally required before you sign the paperwork for the slip?
If so, I would need to get a survey done anyhow I suppose.

In other words, aside from the standard bill of sale, title/cash exchange...how is this whole process supposed to go?
A survey is only required when a value must be assigned to the boat, such as when taking full hull insurance. To lease a slip, you should only be insured for liability and salvage/removal, and the value is not relevant. You could probably dispense with the survey in this case but at least have a knowledgeable person look over the boat. Even a second knowledgeable person. A nonprofessional is likely to miss something important. Two guys will probably not both miss the same thing.

You need to be absolutely positive that you have the slip first, so you don't somehow get stuck with the boat and nowhere to put it. Talk to the management at the marina before you even think about forking over any $ that isn't refundable. Someone with you who has RECENTLY transferred ownership or knows exactly how it is done in your state will save you some possible problems.

Google is your friend. (Well, usually.)
Old 13-11-2014, 13:43   #88

Thanks growley, good to know.

I'm going to check it out alone tonight just to make sure it's worth looking into further.
If so, I get off early tomorrow, so I will run everything by management at the marina and find out what is required...then head over to the bank during business hours and get cash out.

I'll return on Saturday with someone to look it over a little better and since they are moving, see if I can get them to come down some more on the price if I buy right then and there.
Old 13-11-2014, 14:49   #89

Boat: Pearson 35

Vinny, welcome and you will love the next step in sail adventures.

Two great books, The sailors book of small cruising sailboats, cover boats that will serve you. Also buying your first sailboat really covers what you need.

Take him up on the offer or ask sailors to go out as most enjoy helping people like you. Small boats are easy to retro fit if you find one in need of care.

My wife and I sailed on a Ensenada 20 and loved it, like a CAL but smaller.

I saw a Oday 25 for a grand a while back. Sweat equity will get you a ton of boat for the money, take a knowledgeable sailor or talk to a surveyor, a great Good Old Boat will find you.

We had a 1989 Hunter 26.5 with wing keel and it would point like crazy and was super affordable.

I would stay away from water ballasted boats.

Good luck, we all are cheering for you!
Jim
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 15:04   #90

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

What growly said....Marinas will want liability before you move in. We use progressive for ours.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail